Will bike shop set up suspension?

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Getting a new bike from my local bike shop hopefully Tuesday. Should I be expecting them to setup my front suspension? Or is this something you're usually expected to play around with yourself?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Slo_Coach

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 8, 2017
Wales
Check the forks can be air adjusted before buying a pump!
My first ebike had suntours, bro brought me shock pump for my birthday, but the forks didn't use air in the suspension. I think these worked using oil filled system. But ultimately shop should assist.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
When they give the max pressure for the forks is that the max I can put in them or the max with me sitting on it and riding it hard?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
When they give the max pressure for the forks is that the max I can put in them or the max with me sitting on it and riding it hard?
Thats the max pressure they should be pressurised to

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Basic rule of thumb is you should have one third sag while your sat on the bike for offroad use

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id also recommend going tubeless esp with the extra waight or you will get a flat in no time esp on the rear ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the guy at the bike shop sounds like a dickhead lol thats like turning down work thats there bread and butter.

slime tubes are the next best option but tubeless is easy after you have done it.

i have not had a flat since 2014.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The only issue you may have if going tubeless is setting beads. Easy if you have work shop compressor or in my case scuba tank. Foot pumps may not be able to deliver enough air quick enough to set it.

Even when tubeless carry a spare tube, some punctures the sealant can't handle.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
the guy at the bike shop sounds like a dickhead lol thats like turning down work thats there bread and butter.

slime tubes are the next best option but tubeless is easy after you have done it.

i have not had a flat since 2014.
The bike comes with tubeless ready tyres and wheels so shouldn't need the tape

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will need tape as not many wheels have no spoke holes like my crank bros wheels that has a solid rim and no holes to adjust them as mine are in the middle but the spokes cost 20 quid each! n only 1 lbs can true a wheel like this.
DSC_0098.JPG

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Like soundwave said, buy a shock pump if you have air forks, even if the shop sets them up for you, you will still have to do them yourself at a later date

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Even when tubeless carry a spare tube, some punctures the sealant can't handle.
And this is one of my gripes with going tubeless
Until they design a wheel and tyre combination that doesn’t require sealer in the tyre it’s not for me
Hell how hard can it be cars , vans , trucks , motorcycles etc have been doing it for years
It’s not new technology it’s just being badly implemented for push bike use through rubbish materials

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Like soundwave said, buy a shock pump if you have air forks, even if the shop sets them up for you, you will still have to do them yourself at a later date
Totally agree
They need maintenance
It’s like having a bike and not having a tyre pump :)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
And this is one of my gripes with going tubeless
Until they design a wheel and tyre combination that doesn’t require sealer in the tyre it’s not for me
Hell how hard can it be cars , vans , trucks , motorcycles etc have been doing it for years
It’s not new technology it’s just being badly implemented for push bike use through rubbish materials
Car wheels don't have spokes, which tape needs to seal. They aren't likely to get pinch flat plus walls are lot thicker and more puncture resistant.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Car wheels don't have spokes, which tape needs to seal. They aren't likely to get pinch flat plus walls are lot thicker and more puncture resistant.
Come on now
Pinch flats are what tubes get not tyres
Wall thickness has nothing to do with efficient bead sealing its to do with the weight of the vehicle or bike
Also what has spokes got to do with anything ive said
I said i dont like the need for sealent not rim tape

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Wow SW that looks suspiciously like an Akai sampler in the rack...not seen one for years. I still have my expanded s950 in the loft but the Atari (and cubase) went many years ago . Good days :(

Related Articles

Advertisers