Winter gloves

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, it’s that time of year again...
I have tried wearing the same gloves as I did through last winter, and my fingers are already dropping off!

I’ve tried some little hotties hand warmers inside my gloves....they almost burn the back of my hands, but the heat doesn’t get to my fingers.

Fed up of looking for warmer gloves, I found these...only place I can find something like this is China.

https://m.tomtop.com/p-y3693.html?_ga=2.102741185.1554273706.1510140409-1759986379.1510140409&_gac=1.120018170.1510140452.Cj0KCQiA84rQBRDCARIsAPO8RFzgggQnFj6d0-WCFBd2Dy9r_W6KtcKnV95qv7vMQ2CWid07ZYneNy4aAte4EALw_wcB

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Getting rid of wind chill should make a big difference.
I worked outside most of my life, really feeling the cold during my last few years and found that whichever gloves we preferred they worked better with a pair of thin cotton gloves underneath.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
How do you see what gear you are in? :rolleyes:

I went out and forgot my gloves and when I got back home I had the most ghastly painful cramps I have had in quite some time. Just touching the aluminum frame to fold the trike... :eek:

D

Deleted member 4366

Ski gloves are better than any cycle gloves. You want them to be as loose as possible, so get a bigger size than you normally would. The Aldi lobster gloves are pretty close to ski gloves and they're not bad. I have the non-waterproof ones that are OK down to at least -5 deg. I would strongly recommend them.

The latest ones are waterproof. I don't know if that makes them less insulated, but they all see to get good reviews in this discussion:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/aldi-waterproof-lobster-cycling-gloves.173148/
More good comments here:
https://roubaixcycling.cc/2016/10/05/aldi-winter-and-lobster-gloves/

You'll have to wait for Aldo to do their winter cycling stuff or buy them from somewhere else:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1CHZL_enGB733GB733&tbm=shop&q=lobster+cycling+gloves&tbs=vw:g,mr:1,price:1,ppr_max:35&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi11pOHmrDXAhUEvBoKHSFnCF8QvSsIxwQoAA&biw=1707&bih=830

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I currently use these. They're OK, but the heat they keep in tends to get blasted out and overwhelmed by sub zero wind chill.

I'm not a commuter, just a casual ebiker that goes out for an hour or two with his dog around a country park. So, today I bought some of those electrically heated ski type gloves. I'll let you know if they're any good or not when they eventually get here.

Outdoor Motorcycle Electric Heated Gloves Warmer Hands + 2 Rechargeable Battery. Click to view.

s-l1600.jpg

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Any of the above plus silk inner liner gloves then make yourself wind deflectors from large old plastic bottle tops.

Cut to shape hand entry, slit the top end to allow push on over handle bar and cable entry/exit, then tie rap to bike and finally spray paint to suit.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Windproof fleece gloves with a thin" one size fits all" glove underneath works for me. It's also important to keep your arms warm with a good jacket as cold arms can mean cold blood circulating to your fingers.
Same with cold feet, you have to keep your legs warm or you've no chance.
I'm very fortunate to have good circulation, some folks have real problems with that and struggle to keep their fingers warm whatever they do.
Dave.

• Useful

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I have a pair of Aldi lobsters. They are ok but I do suffer with cold hands so on someone's recommendation got a pair from PlanetX. Reasonably priced and warmer than the Aldi ones. Of course I got the Works some time ago. May be better now

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
I bought some fingerless, USB heated gloves from Ebay that are okay for Autumn - but way too much hassle plugging them in through each sleeve and they only warm the back of your hands.

I've ordered these motorbike style hand guards to keep the wind off my hands. For £2.86 I thought they were worth a try. Possibly just secured with velcro to attach when very cold/rainy.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Universal-7-8-22mm-Dirt-Bike-ATV-Motorcycle-Hang-Guard-Protector-Handguard/311978876649?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, plenty to look into.

I guess the biggest problem is we all have different levels of cold we cope with.

I like the idea of the electric heated ones, but they’re a bit pricey if they don’t work for me.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go and try it lol like siting in a bin bag closed both ends.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
When I was riding scooters and motorbikes I used inner ski gloves under motorbike gloves. The ski gloves are made of some synthetic fibre that seems to get an electrostatic charge, feels very weird at first but sometimes too warm to be comfortable. Silk gloves would probably be the luxury version, silk is incredibly warm.

Now that I live in the southwest :rolleyes: winter bike gloves are plenty enough it hardly ever drops below about 5-6° C here. :cool:

D

Deleted member 4366

I did half a million miles of all-weather motorcycling mainly before electrically heated gloves and grips were available. Three things I learnt about riding in sub-zero temperatures: Firstly, you need the first layer to be as loose as possible. Any tightness at all restricts blood flow, which makes your fingers go cold very quickly. Secondly, mittens are warmer than gloves because the adjacent fingers keep each other warm. Thirdly, you need to keep your wrists as warm as possible too, so gauntlet type gloves are better and a woollen jumper with long sleeves.

I tried just about every type of inner and outer gloves at that time because it was an important issue for me.

I solved all my problems by making a pear of mittens out of sheepskin. When it was wet, I put Belstaff overmits over them. They were like boxing gloves, but they worked very well. I can remember going to the St. Nic's ralley in Belgium when the temperature was -15 Celsius. I tried some of the handlebar muffs. They made a bit of difference, but the wind resistance made them operate the clutch and brake at high speed, though I can't see that being a problem on a bicycle; however, my gut feeling is that the shroud type would not be particulatly effective and decent gloves/mits would be a better solution.

Things have moved on from my motorcycling days. The ski gloves that you can now get have massive insulation, so they should be fine as long as they're loose enough. Personally, I wouldn't bother with inner gloves. They normally end up too tight, which makes it worse than not having them, plus the inconvenience factor.

• Useful

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I did half a million miles of all-weather motorcycling mainly before electrically heated gloves and grips were available. Three things I learnt about riding in sub-zero temperatures: Firstly, you need the first layer to be as loose as possible. Any tightness at all restricts blood flow, which makes your fingers go cold very quickly. Secondly, mittens are warmer than gloves because the adjacent fingers keep each other warm. Thirdly, you need to keep your wrists as warm as possible too, so gauntlet type gloves are better and a woollen jumper with long sleeves.

I tried just about every type of inner and outer gloves at that time because it was an important issue for me.

I solved all my problems by making a pear of mittens out of sheepskin. When it was wet, I put Belstaff overmits over them. They were like boxing gloves, but they worked very well. I can remember going to the St. Nic's ralley in Belgium when the temperature was -15 Celsius. I tried some of the handlebar muffs. They made a bit of difference, but the wind resistance made them operate the clutch and brake at high speed, though I can't see that being a problem on a bicycle; however, my gut feeling is that the shroud type would not be particulatly effective and decent gloves/mits would be a better solution.

Things have moved on from my motorcycling days. The ski gloves that you can now get have massive insulation, so they should be fine as long as they're loose enough. Personally, I wouldn't bother with inner gloves. They normally end up too tight, which makes it worse than not having them, plus the inconvenience factor.
Sort of makes sense...I borrowed a pair of ski gloves that felt really bulky, thought they would more than do the job...they didn’t...my fingers were still cold...but the gloves were quite tight.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Well, I bought a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HCOP2S2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Think they will do the job very well. A bit bulky, but once you get used to them, they work wonders. Not had close to freezing temps yet, but in freezing cold wind and rain, coupled with a thin pair of gloves, they have been brilliant.

Had to make a cut out in the right glove to slot my mirror through, but the mrs made a good job of sewing the cut neatly so it shouldnt fray, and the hole isnt that big that loads of air gets in.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
In Temps just below freezing a couple of weeks back I tried thin gloves with a pair of disposable rubber gloves over them then windproof fleece gloves on top, nothing too tight.
My hands have never been as warm and the disposable gloves if carefully removed can be re-used.
I was using one of my non electric bikes so that may have helped a bit.
Dave.

Reactions: mountainsport

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm not really certain how you would classify the following gloves, but upon recommendation, I have just bought a pair of Shire Neoprene Yard gloves for £17.00 from a local tack shop.
Using them today for the first time, they became too hot to wear comfortably, and I'm hoping that because of that, they might actually be pretty good when things actually do turn a bit colder. They are reasonably thick, but I suspect that they should still be thin enough, to be able to wear them under a second pair of gloves.

https://www.shiresequestrian.com/neoprene-yard-gloves-19262

I also bought a pair of these for £7.50 and from a quick look, they should work very well in combination with the above. I can't see them being a lot of good for freezing cold rides, but they certainly look and feel up to the job of mild winter days. Time will tell.

https://www.rbequestrian.co.uk/1072271/products/shires-winter-warm-long-cuff-gloves-unisex-black.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkp7i-9_S1wIVpbvtCh2qSAUUEAQYASABEgLiN_D_BwE

Last edited:
Reactions: mountainsport

Advertisers