Winter Riding

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I just read that Gubbins doesn't tend to ride much when it gets very cold and it's caused me to start this thread which will hopefully give me and others some thoughts and ideas about riding in winter. So it would be good to get some tips from you folks that ride all the year around.

I have recently been giving winter riding some thought and have bought a couple of items that will hopefully allow me to ride through a lot of the cold weather. I have bought a pair of sealskins gloves, so far the coldest I have used them in has been about 10 degrees C. and they were fine. I do suffer with cold hands and feet but I think I should be OK with these down to around 6 degrees.

I have also bought a buffalo jacket. I used to have one of these for cycling over 20 years ago and they were terrific. From what I can tell (haven't used it yet haven't needed to) not much has changed with the design so I think it should still be excellent.

I have a couple of balaclavas that I use with my motor bike which will fit under my cycling helmet so that should be head and ears sorted. I am also thinking of buying a pair of over shoes type things which will help with my cold feet.

I live on the North Wales coast and we don't tend to get very hard winters. During the day average mid winter temps are typically around 6 to 8 degrees. I wont be riding in snow and ice so wont be going out in minus temperatures.

I'm lucky in that I have retired early and so don't have to go out to work on cold dark mornings in the Winter, I would be looking to get out on the bike no earlier than say 9 perhaps later if its still very cold at that time.

We do get lots of wind down on the coast so wind chill will be a factor. I imagine there is a table somewhere on line that gives wind chill temps, but lets say its 6 degrees and I am riding at 15 mph into a 30 mph head wind Im guessing it may well feel like a sub zero temperature which could be a problem.

I wonder if it might actually be easier riding an e bike in cold temps than a normal one. I can remember years ago that when I went mountain biking in the hills on a cold day the problem was sweating too much on the up hill parts and then freezing to death when coming down hill. On an e-bike one does not need to put so much work in to get up the hills and hence one doesn't sweat so much, therefore it should not feel so cold when coming down hill.

Reactions: Julie

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I ride all year round as it's how I get to work. Those big hi Vis dunlop coats from sports direct are great, I use Aldi ski gloves and face warmer, I have never worn a helmet so I put my hood up and a hat on. Lights are a must for the darkness, it also helps to alert you to ice and frost in the dark. I would recommend studs on the front tyre at least, they make my journey possible on the coldest days. As for snow if it's deep then obviously it's a nightmare, but wider tyres with some tread will be better than road tyres. I haven't tried a fat bike yet but I'd bet they are awesome on the snow. Last tip from me which is common sense really take your time even if it's a couple degrees above freezing you can still get patches. Oh and keep that bike clean or it will get rusty as hell with the grit and grime

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Bought my bike in June and I've used it almost daily since then but it's been such a glorious summer that I know I've had it easy so far regarding comfort.
Shorts and t-shirt have been the norm but I now find I need long pants and a thermal top to stay warm. I'm currently looking at motor-cycle jackets as I think that's how I'm going to approach the winter weather, i.e. waterproof/windproof motorbike jacket,long johns, balaclava, and decent gloves . If it's icy and really cold, I'll probably not use the bike a lot anyway,just like the last few days have been so very windy that the bike has stayed in the garage.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Last winter I went for a proper slide on some black ice, bike on it's side and me on my arse right across the road between some cars. I was lucky but I'm thinking twice about riding through the winter this year!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wear Aldi neoprene wellies (just under £20 last time they had them).

Surprised myself by wearing them every time I ride even through the summer. (Largely because no other footwear I have works well.)

They are relatively warm, waterproof, comfortable. They keep my trousers dry and oil-free. If it is really raining, the overlap of them and my waterproof over-trousers is a perfect seal.

Capt Sisko

Pedelecer
May 5, 2018
Shropshire
As this is an E-Bike forum, what about any specific winter e-bike issues? For example, on my Orbea Gain the charging port on the top of the bottom bracket and whilst it does have a cover, is it any good? As no one's done a winter on one of these bikes yet, time will tell. Ditto for the weather proofness of the connector to the rear hub motor.

What experience do others have on assorted waterproofing type sprays?

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I wear a craghoppers winter coat its two coats in one and most of the time I take the thermal layer out unless it's really cold. It keeps me warm and dry. Also wear a waterproof balaclava by Rockbros off ebay and waterproof wind proof trousers on top on my jeans. And I'm looking for some good footwear and gloves as I lost my gloves and my feet got wet a few times last year. Not good in really cold weather

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
I was about to ask this question as I am approaching my first winter as e-bike commuter.

I live in London so more than the cold I am concerned about the rain and staying dry.

Also, due to the nature of my work, I have to be out and about for part of the day, therefore I need a jacket that would keep me warm and dry on the e-bike as well as not being "exclusively designed for riding".

In terms of the gloves, I'd like to hear your opinion on whether snow gloves would be necessary for London's weather or I can look at alternatives.

I've got some over-trousers from Decathlon to keep my trousers (and shoes dry).

Big question mark on my head gear as I have long hair.

I have read someone mentioning waterproof balaclava, which could be an option.

Would like to hear your opinion on that.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Also, due to the nature of my work, I have to be out and about for part of the day, therefore I need a jacket that would keep me warm and dry on the e-bike as well as not being "exclusively designed for riding".
I have said before, my Quiksilver jacket is the absolutely most waterproof, windproof and comfortable outer I have ever owned.

Something like: https://www.quiksilver.co.uk/mission-snow-jacket-for-men-3613373689641.html#cgid=snow_snowshop_snowjacket&start=1&hitcount=55

Mine does not have a full hood so there is the possibility of drops making their way down but have never actually noticed any. The gently elasticated cuffs are supreme at keeping wind and rain from rising up the sleeves. I don't mind if my hands get a bit wet from cheap gloves. The DryFlight material seems to be almost 100% impervious to wind and water. Not being intended for cycling, it doesn't look too MAMIL-ish.

Mind, the price I paid was far, far less as I wasn't keen on £160. Definitely an end-of-season/surplus stock purchase.

Sub Total 50.00
Discount 0.00
Shipping Method UK Standard Delivery - Free
Shipping Cost 0.00
(Total Ex VAT 41.67)
(VAT Content 8.33)
Total Inc VAT 50.00

(Above is an edited version of previous replies I have posted.)

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I have said before, my Quiksilver jacket is the absolutely most waterproof, windproof and comfortable outer I have ever owned.

Something like: https://www.quiksilver.co.uk/mission-snow-jacket-for-men-3613373689641.html#cgid=snow_snowshop_snowjacket&start=1&hitcount=55

Mine does not have a full hood so there is the possibility of drops making their way down but have never actually noticed any. The gently elasticated cuffs are supreme at keeping wind and rain from rising up the sleeves. I don't mind if my hands get a bit wet from cheap gloves. The DryFlight material seems to be almost 100% impervious to wind and water. Not being intended for cycling, it doesn't look too MAMIL-ish.

Mind, the price I paid was far, far less as I wasn't keen on £160. Definitely an end-of-season/surplus stock purchase.

Sub Total 50.00
Discount 0.00
Shipping Method UK Standard Delivery - Free
Shipping Cost 0.00
(Total Ex VAT 41.67)
(VAT Content 8.33)
Total Inc VAT 50.00

(Above is an edited version of previous replies I have posted.)
In my teens I had an expensive O'Neill ski jacket that was very good. A Dunlop work coat does the same far cheaper though, it never wet through even in extreme rain but eventually the zip broke. May get another as although my works own version is as good it doesn't have a proper hood

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018
In my teens I had an expensive O'Neill ski jacket that was very good. A Dunlop work coat does the same far cheaper though, it never wet through even in extreme rain but eventually the zip broke. May get another as although my works own version is as good it doesn't have a proper hood

Could you link this Dunlop jacket?

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I need to find a winter cycling jacket with easy-tie cuffs of some sort. Cycling home in the floods on Thursday evening, my waterproof Sealskin gloves ended up full of water because I wore them outside of my jacket sleeves, and all the water ran off my sleeves and down my gloves!

Same with shoes - need to find some sort of gaiter that will go over my waterproof 5Tens and under my trousers. Any suggestions??

Floorfilla

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2018

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I need to find a winter cycling jacket with easy-tie cuffs of some sort. Cycling home in the floods on Thursday evening, my waterproof Sealskin gloves ended up full of water because I wore them outside of my jacket sleeves, and all the water ran off my sleeves and down my gloves!

Same with shoes - need to find some sort of gaiter that will go over my waterproof 5Tens and under my trousers. Any suggestions??
My Quiksilver jacket has long elastic cuffs inside the sleeves. Intended to stop any snow going up. Have had very wet gloves but never wet arms.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
My Quiksilver jacket has long elastic cuffs inside the sleeves. Intended to stop any snow going up. Have had very wet gloves but never wet arms.
Very pleased to be able to slip into this jacket this morning. 'Twas jolly cold.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Is there a non-HiVis version? As I have mentioned I need a jacket to wear on my way into to work and then around for the day (my day consists in half day in the office and half day doing home visits).
I've just ordered a load of those reflective 'slap-on' bands for wrists, elbows and ankles. Together with a reflective back-pack cover, I reckon I don't need to shell out for a reflective/high-viz waterproof now!