Wisper 705 Torque

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
What: Wisper 705 Torque with 375Wh battery
Bought from: Shannon's Cycle Centre, York

I've had my bike for a couple of weeks now and although I haven't managed to get out quite as much as I'd hoped I have done over 50 miles on it so I thought I'd do a quick review in case I can say anything that's helpful to anybody considering a Wisper.

Carol and colleague at Shannon's in York were really helpful and having tested both the 705 SE and the 705 Torque there, I decided on the Torque. To me it felt like a more natural delivery of assistance with a more "connected" feel to the ride. The power's there when you press on the pedal and even hill starts - low gear and high assistance - have presented no problem.

Northumberland's pretty hilly - I'm in Hadrian's Wall country and although the Romans were good at straight roads they didn't level anything out. The combination of gears, assistance levels and the little bit of extra "oomph" from the throttle on the odd occasion meant that even on the first outing I was able to get up a significant hill which is not bad after not having ridden a bike for over 20 years!

As things start to level out after a downhill stretch I like to have a gear that feels high enough to "bite" when I start to pedal as well as having good low gears for going uphill. I like the range (8 gears) on the 705 and the trigger style gear lever gives nice precise shifting without having to devote thought to it. I wondered if having hydraulic disc brakes might be overdoing things slightly but I was very grateful to have them on my first ride out - the assistance going uphill means you don't necessarily realise how steep it is until you're coming back down! Good brakes certainly increased my confidence and feeling of safety.

I've changed the stock pedals for a pair of MKS Lambdas (not everybody's choice, I'm sure, but they suit me well). If I had a niggle about the bike at all it would probably be that the stock pedals felt rather small, quite slippy and the bearings were extremely stiff.

I am finding that tyre pressure goes down fairly quickly so it's worth a quick check and a top-up before getting on the bike each time.

The bike overall feels very solidly built and adjustable components are pretty easy to set up to suit your height and reach. The battery slides easily on the "shelf" built in to the rack and clicks home with a nice positive feel. Having the rack around the battery as a sort of cage also feels like it's protecting it from knocks, as well.

The LCD display panel is quite large and being in the centre of the handlebars means you can glance at it without taking your attention off the road for long. Up and down buttons for the assist are positioned on the left handlebar, are easy to use and big enough not to feel overly fiddly. My friend's 7 year old was impressed with the bell!

The motor really is "wisper" quiet! A friend who is both a keen cyclist and has tried several e-bikes (he has a cycling buddy who sells them) tried mine out and declared it the quietest motor he's come across. You can hear it as you set off if you're listening out for it but it quickly fades to being barely there. The walk assist function is handy if you want to wheel the bike anywhere since it means you don't have to shift a "dead weight" to get it moving.

Overall, I'm really happy with my choice of bike and to be reminded that there's nothing quite like the rush of wind past your ears when you're out on a sunny day!

Attachments

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks so much for the great report. We are all so pleased you chose a Wisper and are enjoying your 705Torque.

Thanks for investing in one of our bikes!

All the best, David

D

Deleted member 4366

I agree about the quietness of the motor. I've ridden hundreds of different electric bikes, and that Wisper is quieter than them all by a country mile.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
T
I agree about the quietness of the motor. I've ridden hundreds of different electric bikes, and that Wisper is quieter than them all by a country mile.
Thanks Dave, we worked hard with our fantastic Chinese engineers to build somthing a little different. I understand it's not desperately important to a lot of riders, the Bosch bikes we sell are actually quite noisy by comparison and are no more powerful, and people still love them.

I think we are already seeing a trend towards more "discrete" Ebikes, quiet and almost unrecognisable as an electric. As hub motors become smaller and more powerful, we use even more sophisticated tiny torque sensors hidden in the BB and battery energy density becomes better and better, there will be no need for huge lumps of motor around the pedals and big batteries on the rack or down tube.

Eurobike will be very interesting this year, can't wait to see where the market is going.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
David stop it, you are tempting me. I'm supposed to be very content with the ones I've got.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Peggy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 4, 2017
Norfolk
What: Wisper 705 Torque with 375Wh battery
Bought from: Shannon's Cycle Centre, York

I've had my bike for a couple of weeks now and although I haven't managed to get out quite as much as I'd hoped I have done over 50 miles on it so I thought I'd do a quick review in case I can say anything that's helpful to anybody considering a Wisper.

Carol and colleague at Shannon's in York were really helpful and having tested both the 705 SE and the 705 Torque there, I decided on the Torque. To me it felt like a more natural delivery of assistance with a more "connected" feel to the ride. The power's there when you press on the pedal and even hill starts - low gear and high assistance - have presented no problem.

Northumberland's pretty hilly - I'm in Hadrian's Wall country and although the Romans were good at straight roads they didn't level anything out. The combination of gears, assistance levels and the little bit of extra "oomph" from the throttle on the odd occasion meant that even on the first outing I was able to get up a significant hill which is not bad after not having ridden a bike for over 20 years!

As things start to level out after a downhill stretch I like to have a gear that feels high enough to "bite" when I start to pedal as well as having good low gears for going uphill. I like the range (8 gears) on the 705 and the trigger style gear lever gives nice precise shifting without having to devote thought to it. I wondered if having hydraulic disc brakes might be overdoing things slightly but I was very grateful to have them on my first ride out - the assistance going uphill means you don't necessarily realise how steep it is until you're coming back down! Good brakes certainly increased my confidence and feeling of safety.

I've changed the stock pedals for a pair of MKS Lambdas (not everybody's choice, I'm sure, but they suit me well). If I had a niggle about the bike at all it would probably be that the stock pedals felt rather small, quite slippy and the bearings were extremely stiff.

I am finding that tyre pressure goes down fairly quickly so it's worth a quick check and a top-up before getting on the bike each time.

The bike overall feels very solidly built and adjustable components are pretty easy to set up to suit your height and reach. The battery slides easily on the "shelf" built in to the rack and clicks home with a nice positive feel. Having the rack around the battery as a sort of cage also feels like it's protecting it from knocks, as well.

The LCD display panel is quite large and being in the centre of the handlebars means you can glance at it without taking your attention off the road for long. Up and down buttons for the assist are positioned on the left handlebar, are easy to use and big enough not to feel overly fiddly. My friend's 7 year old was impressed with the bell!

The motor really is "wisper" quiet! A friend who is both a keen cyclist and has tried several e-bikes (he has a cycling buddy who sells them) tried mine out and declared it the quietest motor he's come across. You can hear it as you set off if you're listening out for it but it quickly fades to being barely there. The walk assist function is handy if you want to wheel the bike anywhere since it means you don't have to shift a "dead weight" to get it moving.

Overall, I'm really happy with my choice of bike and to be reminded that there's nothing quite like the rush of wind past your ears when you're out on a sunny day!

Peggy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 4, 2017
Norfolk
Thank you for your informative review. If it had hub gears it would be my perfect bike. I like the look of this bike. How are you finding it now you've had it a while?

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
I haven't ridden over the winter Peggy - I've just brought it out of the garage for a check over this morning, in fact! I continued riding into late autumn though and found it a pleasure each time, no reliability issues or anything and I found I actually wanted to go out on it rather than it being an exercise chore I had to talk myself in to. From not having cycled at all for 20 years or so, I was happily doing 10 miles round hilly country lanes and I'm looking forward to building that up a bit further this year.

If you can find one to test ride I'd encourage you to give it a go. I've found the gears to be smooth and the shifter style makes them easy to use so you might find you'd be happy to compromise over the hub gear issue if you like everything else about it.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I haven't ridden over the winter Peggy - I've just brought it out of the garage for a check over this morning, in fact! I continued riding into late autumn though and found it a pleasure each time, no reliability issues or anything and I found I actually wanted to go out on it rather than it being an exercise chore I had to talk myself in to. From not having cycled at all for 20 years or so, I was happily doing 10 miles round hilly country lanes and I'm looking forward to building that up a bit further this year.

If you can find one to test ride I'd encourage you to give it a go. I've found the gears to be smooth and the shifter style makes them easy to use so you might find you'd be happy to compromise over the hub gear issue if you like everything else about it.
Thanks for the glowing report! I hope you are enjoying the sunshine!

Best regards, David

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
It should show the nearest dealers to your location. If you type in a Manchester post code you should see the nearest dealers to that post code etc.

All the best, David
But if you don't give it a location and just zoom in on the map all you'll see are seven dealers along the south coast... oh, and one in Guernsey, one in Lille and one in Switzerland.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It should show the nearest dealers to your location. If you type in a Manchester post code you should see the nearest dealers to that post code etc.

All the best, David
But I did put my post code in it.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs