Wisper 905e cuts out for a few seconds when going up steep hills

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I have a 905se that uses the same batteries (14Ah). I bought a second battery when I bought the bike as I often cycle from my home in Bedfordshire to Bookham in Surrey. On a realistic 'road trip' like that I only get a usable range of about 30-35 miles per battery (medium power assist and pedalling all the time) so I needed two. My bike occasionally 'hesitates' for about a second or so as the motor stops driving... certainly not for 4 seconds, thought. It does this with both batteries and has done from new. One battery failed completely after a couple of months and was replaced under warranty. The bike had the same problem with the replacement battery. The complete rear wheel / motor assembly has been replaced under warranty as has the motor controller and pedal sensor in an attempt to cure the problem but it still exists. I've come to accept that it's something I'm not going to cure and have learned to live with it. The bike is 4.1/2 years old now but the batteries still seem to have the same capacity as they did when new. They are kept fully charged and are charged immediately after use. I think that important if you want your batteries to last.
Hi Pharisee, it may be worth contacting Claud at support@wisperbikes.com this behaviour is unusual, I am sure we could find a solution for you.

Re battery performance, you are absolutely correct, the reason most batteries fail is because they are not maintained well. The biggest killer of batteries is when they are left uncharged for the winter. It is best to charge your battery after every ride. It does nothing to damage the cells the battery is always ready and if you forget to charge it for a couple of months it will not drop to critical Voltage. A lot of new batteries, including the new Wisper Torque 575Wh battery, have auto deep sleep modes that help, however the best policy is to keep topped up. Batteries treated well especially over the winter months can last many years.

All the best

David

Advertisers