Wisper 905SE Brakes

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Hi, my brakes constantly need adjusting too, I have adjusted them myself but have asked the electric transport shop in London to have a look at them too, but they said they would have to charge me as I had adjusted them myself and they cant be sure that i haven't done any damage to the bike because of this :confused:
I was under the impression that I would get a free service after about a month of owning the bike...

If the problem is the levers and not the cable stretching or slipping then I too would like some new levers...plus instructions on fitting them ..:)
The most funny comment to the customer I've ever heard. Can't even think what damage can you do to the brakes when trying to adjust them. :)

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I think that's ridiculous, I mean, when does it become your bike - after the warranty period?

I've changed the brake calipers entirely for Avids, and the only criticism I have of them is that sometimes they're a bit too good - I've (briefly :D ) skidded the back wheel trying to slow down in the wet. With the 905's low centre of gravity, I can be a little overconfident at times, and have to consciously remind myself to adapt to the conditions :eek: . I suppose it's a testement to the design that I've never riden a bike that's felt so stable.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
July 2008

Posted 23rd July 2008

Hi, my brakes constantly need adjusting too, I have adjusted them myself but have asked the electric transport shop in London to have a look at them too, but they said they would have to charge me as I had adjusted them myself and they cant be sure that i haven't done any damage to the bike because of this :confused:
I was under the impression that I would get a free service after about a month of owning the bike...

If the problem is the levers and not the cable stretching or slipping then I too would like some new levers...plus instructions on fitting them ..:)

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
July 2008

Posted 24 July 2008

Hi Moon

We have spare brake levers with the extra leverage an the next trailer which arrives in about two weeks. I will very happily send you a set FOC. Yes of course ETS should make adjustments FOC. Any problems on that front please let me know and I will write to Eddie.

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
July 2008

Posted 30th July 2008

I totally agree John.

The problem has now been resolved at ETS, there seems to have been a little bit of miscommunication.

You know my views on service, good after sales service in imperative for the wellbeing of customers and a happy customer remains a customer for ever.

Best regards David
As you can see this was purely a misunderstanding over a year ago that was sorted out within three days. Generally ETS offer a superb service!

Best regards David

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
Hi, those were really old posts...but, I am still having problems with my brakes and speed of the bike. I have also spent almost £200 trying to sort the problem out which includes a number of brake overhauls, fitting a new disc brake, having the bike serviced at a cost of £90 which has made little improvement to the problems I specified.
I have now removed my back brakes as they we causing so much trouble, the front brake disc brake also seems to be dragging the wheel, and the bike only seems to reach 13mph on throttle-hi speed and 11mph on pedelec and throttle-low speed, this is slower than my non electric mountain bike!

I am really not sure now what is causing the problems and have just spent £90 on a service which I hoped would resolve these issues. I had specified that I was concerned about the power output of the bike which was why I booked the service, however after I left my bike with the mechanic I was told that he could not in fact deal with any of the power issues, apart from checking the connections and putting Vaseline on them, which I paid almost £100 for!

He did fit circular lever things to the brakes and also replaced one of the brake cables, he also said the brakes were rubbing and had sorted this. Having now ridden the bike for a couple of weeks both brakes are once again rubbing but the levers are more effective.

I am now at my wits end with trying to sort this bike out and cant afford to throw any more money at it.

Any ideas/solutions folks???

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Problems

Hi Moon

Sorry not to have heard from you regarding your problems, I remember your having some teething problems a year ago but I thought they had been resolved, as you know we are always available to help.

In the first instance it would be best to talk to Norman our dedicated service manager, you can email him on service@wisperbikes.com. Norman is really there to help our dealers but you seem to have exhausted that option so it seems we need to step in.

I have emailed Norman with a copy of your post so he will be in the picture when you contact him.

Best regards David

Last edited:

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
Well, I've had the brakes serviced again by bikefix Bikefix - the bike shop on your desktop
and am pleased to say that they are now working ok.

They were fitted with circular springs which increased pull on the cables and I haven't needed to adjust them since so that is great!

The power issues are still a problem though as the bike never reaches a very high speed and I am constantly being overtaken by unfit people on shoppers which is quite embarrassing.
My only thought is that the bike has been restricted in some way.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Lack of power

Hi Moon

I am sorry to hear you are still having power issues, this is very unusual on a Wisper, what did Norman say when you contacted him?

Are you using throttle only when these unfit people overtake you?

If I can be of any assistance please call me on 07733226906, or email me miall@aol.com

Best regards David

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
A word or caution about the circular travel agents used to give extra pull on the brake levers. Mine failed last night whilst I was going down hill, I managed to stop the bike by dragging my feet and allowing the pedals to hit the back of my calves. It turns out that the cable had worked itself loose from the component.

I have no idea why my back brake didnt stop me either..ho hum

David what is the status of this brake problem, has any kind of product recall been done and what solutions have been proposed?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
A word or caution about the circular travel agents used to give extra pull on the brake levers. Mine failed last night whilst I was going down hill, I managed to stop the bike by dragging my feet and allowing the pedals to hit the back of my calves. It turns out that the cable had worked itself loose from the component.
I don't know why you still need these, I have had problems with the lever's pull ratio not working with the caliper but Wisper provided replacements for both and they work well now.

I have no idea why my back brake didnt stop me either..ho hum
After paying a bike shop to service the brakes I'd be very upset with that.
I've had quite a bit of trouble getting the back brake to work well and I've now found the old Shimano XT parallelogram brakes are a good fit, odd because I tried fitting them before I got the new frame and they wouldn't go. :confused: I still can't get much stopping power out of the brake but it's enough to stop me slowly on a steep hill which is an improvement.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Moon

Thanks for the image moon.

As a matter of interest we don't have a mechanic in Kent.

Please let me know when the problem has been resolved or if I can be of any further assistance.?

How long have you had your bike now?

All the best

David

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
I don't know why you still need these, I have had problems with the lever's pull ratio not working with the caliper but Wisper provided replacements for both and they work well now.
Could you give me more info on this?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Mechanic

Really, then why was I given the details of this man by Norman Bicycle repair man who said he was ' the wisper mechanic in my area'
Hi Moon, I assume it was because Norman felt it would be more convenient for you to use one of our dealer's local to you instead of taking your bike to Guilford.

Any way, let me know if I can be of any service, Norman will be contacting you next week.

Best regards

David

Advertisers