Wisper 905se City S Power Problem

Acheron44

Just Joined
Aug 1, 2014
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum, looks like a great source of help and advice. I'm hoping someone can help me with my power problem in the mean time..

Basically, my battery is fully charged, and of course I turn the key and press the button on top of the battery and I get full green lights, but when I press the power button on the handlebar unit, no lights flash up. I do see a very brief very feint red light flicker on once when I press the power button, but that's it.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Could it be fuses in the battery itself? A corroded wire on the unit on the handlebars? Or something else?

Finally, I've got 2 of these bikes, and I swapped the batteries around to check and the battery worked fine on the other bike, so it seems to be a wire/connection/unit on handlebar issue I'd think.

Many thanks in advance.
Steve.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Obvious point the bad bike was bad with both batteries?

Acheron44

Just Joined
Aug 1, 2014
Yeah it was. Both batteries were charged, and when put into the bad bike, they both lit up as normal on the actual battery, but the unit on handlebars failed to light up.

D

Deleted member 4366

A pure guess says that you've had water somewhere. I'm not too familiar with the 905, but all these sort of bikes work the same:

The 36v wires from the battery go direct to the controller.
They branch inside the controller. The branch then runs up to the control panel to power it. If the control panel doesn't switch on or light up, there's a problem with these two wires. This can be because the connector to the panel is contaminated or the connectors between the battery aren't good. The third possibility is that water has got into the display.

open up the compartment under the battery and pull out the controller. Check the wires from the battery are connected tightly. Next find the multipin connector that goes to the display and check it. If all is well there, see if you can disassemble the panel. Many of them are glued together, so that's the end of the game.

Pharisee

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2011
I had similar problems that proved to be bad wiring connections in the 'box' under the battery. I replaced all the rubbish multi-pin connectors with water-resistant bullet connectors as used on Japanese motorcycles. I also removed the ferrite 'chokes' that are installed around some of the wires and have noticed no ill effect from doing so. That gives you just a little more room for the wiring and connectors. I did this about 18 months ago and have covered many trouble free miles since.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's great that your bike works well, but nobody can watch their TVs while you ride past. I think those chokes are stop interference outwards rather than inwards.

Acheron44

Just Joined
Aug 1, 2014
I had similar problems that proved to be bad wiring connections in the 'box' under the battery. I replaced all the rubbish multi-pin connectors with water-resistant bullet connectors as used on Japanese motorcycles. I also removed the ferrite 'chokes' that are installed around some of the wires and have noticed no ill effect from doing so. That gives you just a little more room for the wiring and connectors. I did this about 18 months ago and have covered many trouble free miles since.

I had suspected the wiring into the box, so it's good to know u solved your problem by swapping them out. Will try sort it over next few days and post up what the fix was.

Thanks guys!

Pharisee

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 9, 2011
It's great that your bike works well, but nobody can watch their TVs while you ride past. I think those chokes are stop interference outwards rather than inwards.
Even with the old analogue TV system, I think you'd need to be pedalling around their living room for it to have had a noticeable effect. With the new digital transmissions, cycling along the road outside their house will have no effect what-so-ever.

D

Deleted member 4366

I was only joking. There are electronic emissions tests (EMI) as part of the EN15194 certification. I guess that the choke is needed to pass them.

Advertisers