Wisper 905se power query

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Apart from that I'm really enjoying the bike (although all the Kalkhoff lovers on the forum have got me lying awake at night wondering if I've made the right choice...).

Elephants..I do sympathise with you on this, as a Kalkhoff owner, I lie awake at nights..fretting that a fellow forum member has made the wrong decision.
Maybe we should try the bikes side by side?
Maybe we should try each others?
I personally don't think I would experience the speed, looks, performance or the service from the Kalkhoff range that I do from Wisper.
I know I made the right decision :)
But hey, prove me wrong :D
Anyone in my area with a Kalkhoff? or have you still not got your size/frame? lol!
Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
The Wisper is an excellent bike, I love mine!! I do a 24 mile commute on it which I could never do on my ridgeback mountain bike.
I'm getting fitter, loosing weight, seeing loads of london, out in the sunshine and having loads of fun.

Going to work is a real joy now... :)

I am sure you will love your bike too...its a real work horse.
Well said and ditto ditto ditto!!!
I would be lost without mine!

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi 'Elephants'
You got it dead right on the gearing, that's exactly what's meant. You are also correct about the chain, and I did remove a couple of links. The chain will still fall off continuously though unless the new sprocket is moved inwards as I described. This is easy to do though, and works fine. the 42t to 11/34 arrangement actually gives a slightly faster top gear, as well as lower gearing for steep hills.
To put it in context I live in mid cornwall and I am surrounded by valleys, so lots of very steep climbs (and drops, hence the brakes...). The slopes are often 1:6 or slightly more for short lengths, and can be very long. I'm just a tad under 15st. plus have to carry a load of stuff in to work (8-9 miles each way), so I think you should be able to see where I'm coming from on this issue.
I wouldn't let the Kalkhoff folks worry you. The wisper is a great bike, and 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence'. I'm enjoying mine, and each day it gets better and better (plus easier !). When I'm ready for a change they'll be something better than both of them available, I'm sure.
Cheers, Phil
Hi Phil
I understand about mid Cornwall and Cornwall in general with the hills and I guess without your adjustments then the bike may not be ideal and I would do the same and hopefully want to move down there within the next 5 years or so?
I guess where I am it is mostly flat so the Wisper performs very well under my terrain apart from the odd steep slope or gradual hills, but copes with them well also with out any problems.
What I don't understand is why my old Powabyke in the supposed 6th top gear had my legs going like the clappers and on the Wisper you do feel in 7th gear that you really are driving the bike along on the flat or down a moderate hill.
I didn't even bother with lower gears on the old bike and at the time thought that was the norm :)
You seem to be the person to ask regarding the difference and I have kind of gone a little off topic here in Wisper clinic but would like to understand :)
Getting back on topic, well ish, I would recommend a Wisper to all and would hope there would not be too many problems posted here so need to top up the thread :D
Mandy

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Can everyone please desist from criticising the wispers for the next 4 weeks until I get mine. I've made the decision and don't want to feel I have done the wrong thing.
I love my Wisper and I've been having a blast on it. I got up to 39mph down a steep hill last week which was both scary and exhilarating (nothing to do with the motor at that speed of course!).

My gripes about the bike are very minor and in fact I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

On the Kalkhoff front, you can't help picking up on the feeling that everyone whose got one really likes them - I don't know 'cos I've never tried one.

Interesting to note that the guru of pedelecery, flecc himself, doesn't own a Kalkhoff (as far as I can tell). I wonder why that is (if thats not too cheeky a question :)).

Regards,

Elephants

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
I love my Wisper and I've been having a blast on it. I got up to 39mph down a steep hill last week which was both scary and exhilarating (nothing to do with the motor at that speed of course!).

My gripes about the bike are very minor and in fact I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

On the Kalkhoff front, you can't help picking up on the feeling that everyone whose got one really likes them - I don't know 'cos I've never tried one.

Interesting to note that the guru of pedelecery, flecc himself, doesn't own a Kalkhoff (as far as I can tell). I wonder why that is (if thats not too cheeky a question :)).

Regards,

Elephants
Ha ha, yeah, Flecc tell us all why you don´t have a K. Maybe you´re in such a good shape that you don´t need one....?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Regards,

Elephants
Several reasons. I have no room for it, and in fact only a short while ago sold the Lafree to aaannndddyyy to make some space to reduce the number of bikes kept indoors (!) to one. Having bought two new cars this year (so far :D) doesn't help the space situation.

Another reason is that I have my ex Quando Q bike which is a redesign precisely to my requirements, and an immensely capable machine with a combination of speed, power and climbing unique in e-bikes. It gives me a lazier time on the tough hills, especially with a trailer, than any production e-bike could, and at 72 years old that's something I appreciate.

I also have my ex Torq 1 fast T bike, another unique one off bike tailored to my needs.

I love the Kalkhoffs, and if I had the space, and especially if I was a little less busy with so many other things, I'd buy a couple.

Last edited:

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
I personally don't think I would experience the speed, looks, performance or the service from the Kalkhoff range that I do from Wisper.
I know I made the right decision :)
But hey, prove me wrong :D
Anyone in my area with a Kalkhoff? or have you still not got your size/frame? lol!
Mandy
Hi Mandy could try to test, have a Kalcoff live outside Torpoint..not exactly MID but at least Kernow,as soon as I buy the Humvee I need to put on a BIKE RACK:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
OLDOSC

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Originally Posted by Mandy
I know I made the right decision
But hey, prove me wrong
Mandy

Hi Mandy could try to test, have a Kalcoff live outside Torpoint..not exactly MID but at least Kernow,as soon as I buy the Humvee I need to put on a BIKE RACK
OLDOSC
Seems a bit strange quoting your own post, but having reread the comment from you, I HEREBY issue a CHALLANGE...AGGATU THE HUN versus the lady pleasing cycle 'it's name escapes me for the moment'
owned by your goodself, we could consult the weather oracle, choose a weekend of Sun chart a course ,run it.
The prize the abasement of the looser to the Agattu.SORRY the abasement of the loser to the winner....
One course could be

Crafthole..Tea and small bun...Ride to Looe...(they do serve a magic pasty in Looe...return to Crafthole..Abasement to winner...Soup, a rather nice Chateau bottled wine..Entertainment(weve'got a big telly)
nights sleep. Depart sorrowing

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Mandy could try to test, have a Kalcoff live outside Torpoint..not exactly MID but at least Kernow,as soon as I buy the Humvee I need to put on a BIKE RACK:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
OLDOSC
Ahhh? Me not comprende :D :D

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Originally Posted by Mandy
I know I made the right decision
But hey, prove me wrong
Mandy

Hi Mandy could try to test, have a Kalcoff live outside Torpoint..not exactly MID but at least Kernow,as soon as I buy the Humvee I need to put on a BIKE RACK
OLDOSC
Seems a bit strange quoting your own post, but having reread the comment from you, I HEREBY issue a CHALLANGE...AGGATU THE HUN versus the lady pleasing cycle 'it's name escapes me for the moment'
owned by your goodself, we could consult the weather oracle, choose a weekend of Sun chart a course ,run it.
The prize the abasement of the looser to the Agattu.SORRY the abasement of the loser to the winner....
One course could be

Crafthole..Tea and small bun...Ride to Looe...(they do serve a magic pasty in Looe...return to Crafthole..Abasement to winner...Soup, a rather nice Chateau bottled wine..Entertainment(weve'got a big telly)
nights sleep. Depart sorrowing
Ha Ha, well I have quoted the whole damn lot :D
The Lady pleasing cycle is a beast that go's by the name of the Wisper905 SE although it is certainly not a beast to look at but a "Lean, Mean, speedy machine" !!! :D
Stopping off for a magic pasty, tea or small bun (hope it would be saffron?) and a bottle of wine may not be a wise move on my part as you may nip to the loo and make off with my Wisper after falling in love with it and realising your mistake in your purchase of the Agattu!! :D
PS bet my telly is bigger than yours LOL!!!!
Still up for the challenge?
Mandy

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Ha Ha, well I have quoted the whole damn lot
The Lady pleasing cycle is a beast that go's by the name of the Wisper905 SE although it is certainly not a beast to look at but a "Lean, Mean, speedy machine" !!!
Stopping off for a magic pasty, tea or small bun (hope it would be saffron?) and a bottle of wine may not be a wise move on my part as you may nip to the loo and make off with my Wisper after falling in love with it and realising your mistake in your purchase of the Agattu!!
Still up for the challenge

Those words may return to haunt you
..Yes (the comment about the Hummvee was in reference to the difficulty of racking Aggatu to the Fiat (known as the skateboard).
Yes it will be interesting..

Attachments

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Ha Ha, well I have quoted the whole damn lot
The Lady pleasing cycle is a beast that go's by the name of the Wisper905 SE although it is certainly not a beast to look at but a "Lean, Mean, speedy machine" !!!
Stopping off for a magic pasty, tea or small bun (hope it would be saffron?) and a bottle of wine may not be a wise move on my part as you may nip to the loo and make off with my Wisper after falling in love with it and realising your mistake in your purchase of the Agattu!!
Still up for the challenge

Those words may return to haunt you
..Yes (the comment about the Hummvee was in reference to the difficulty of racking Aggatu to the Fiat (known as the skateboard).
Yes it will be interesting..
Well we could meet half way? :D
Ha Ha Well where do you put it? Is it one of those one's that has a rack on the back?
Skateboard? The Fiat? Oh sorry I thought you meant't the Agattu?
Only kidding and don't want to upset Agattu owners out their, :D
Post me up a saffron bun or a cornish pastie (the large steak one) will you? I miss them.
Mmmmm, I think I need to get my camera charged up, love that door frame by the way and want one!!!
Mandy :)

Advertisers