Wisper eMTB sneak preview

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Regarding carbon frames and breakages.

I have this morning spoken to our frame manufacturers, they agree that an alloy frame will bend if hit with force, for example if colliding with a rock, and carbon frames will crack. However, it takes a considerable amount of force nowadays to damage a carbon frame. This was not always the case, carbon frames have become very much tougher over recent years, F1 have been very active in improving carbon technology.

I have researched more independent views and found this in Dirt mountain bike magazine which generally bears out what our frame makers are saying.

"Here’s the thing, mountain bikes break. They are put through immense stresses in their lives and inevitably some will fail. There are some brands that are more notorious for this than others but it doesn’t really come down to carbon vs aluminium. An observation that may or may not reassure you is that we’ve seen an awful lot more broken riders than bikes in our time.

The key thing to understand is that aluminium will deform whereas carbon will crack. A dented aluminium frame can still be ridden (as much as a manufacturer wouldn’t recommend it) whereas a snapped carbon frame is a write off – which may be something to consider.

Whatever you go for (carbon or aluminium) you should definitely check the warranty and crash replacement policy. When you’re spending this much money on a frame you want to make sure you’re covered."

Based on the above we will be offering crash replacement frames at well below trade prices to owners of our bikes, if they need to replace a frame. Further details will follow.

Thanks again for all your input, it is invaluable.

All the best, David

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Regarding carbon frames and breakages.

The only negative that I can see with using carbon fibre, is going to be from ham-fisted owners that don't understand it's properties or how to carry out correct and proper maintenance and or adjustment of components.

Just one example from your supplied photos, the seat post clamp is a quick release, which perhaps isn't an issue itself, but it could easily become one. Assuming that a torque setting of 4Nm is required to clamp the seat post, I can foresee some potential issues and warranty claims just through that one component, when some gorilla of an owner decides to incorrectly cure a slipping seat post, by over tightening it.
I'm not suggesting or saying that a double bolt seat post clamp wouldn't/couldn't equally be over tightened by the same owner, but at least the torque setting would be stamped into the clamp, so hopefully avoiding or rather give you some cover in respect warranty claim issues. If nothing else, changing the clamp could make life easier for you long term.

Beyond this, I can't see any issues with using carbon fibre, and I have certainly seen plenty of photos of alloy frames that have snapped. Three this year alone, from falls at a friends jump track, and also from another friend that has had two alloy frames snap, one at the headstock, and one at the seat post. It was well known and respected bike brand, and he doesn't actually ride anything overly tough or taxing.

I'm also mid way through researching my next analogue mtb purchase, which will be carbon, and I certainly wouldn't be doing that if I had concerns about the material.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
What a Beauty! At nearly £13,000 they may not sell so many, but very jealous! If only it was equipped with the Shimano E8000! :D

Last edited:

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
EBR vids are useful when you have insomnia. I want to see different mountain bikes taken up the same steep slope by the same rider to see where they stall relative to each other.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Haven't been on the forum for a while, too busy Paramotoring :), anyway the wolf cabin looks really nice and good components even with that shimano motor (wink).

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Kiwi, I wasn’t aware either. I’ll ask the question of our frame manufacturers. I knew the power consumed to make an Alloy frame was enormous and assumed Carbon was much better in terms of energy use during manufacturing. I’ll get back to you.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Haven't been on the forum for a while, too busy Paramotoring , anyway the wolf cabin looks really nice and good components even with that shimano motor (wink).
Thanks Steve. Much appreciated. I assume you are one of those still using a Bosch motor!!? :D;)

All the best, David

D

Deleted member 4366

Three other important points:
Carbon doesn't suffer from metal fatigue. Aluminium does.
Aluminium is recyclable. Carbon isn't.
Carbon doesn't corrode. Aluminium does (when exposed to salty water).

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks Kiwi, I wasn’t aware either. I’ll ask the question of our frame manufacturers. I knew the power consumed to make an Alloy frame was enormous and assumed Carbon was much better in terms of energy use during manufacturing. I’ll get back to you.

All the best, David
That’s a great looking bike David, I’d not seen this thread until today.

Do not listen to the carbon nay-sayers! As with aluminium, it may take an enormous amount of energy to produce the frame, and carbon may be more difficult to recycle, but why would you want to recycle such a thing of great beauty? Surely this bike is something that anyone would want to own for eternity.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That’s a great looking bike David, I’d not seen this thread until today.

Do not listen to the carbon nay-sayers! As with aluminium, it may take an enormous amount of energy to produce the frame, and carbon may be more difficult to recycle, but why would you want to recycle such a thing of great beauty? Surely this bike is something that anyone would want to own for eternity.
The problem is what the Chinese do with the stuff that doesn't make it into the bike tilson, not the material in itself. If they boxed it up and sent it off to construction sites to be used as reinforcing in the foundations of buildings or whatever no problem. Chucking the residues in the nearest creek however...

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
The bikes look good but I can’t see any geometry details anywhere. What are the head and seat angles? Reach? BB height? Chainstay length? Etc.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The problem is what the Chinese do with the stuff that doesn't make it into the bike tilson, not the material in itself. If they boxed it up and sent it off to construction sites to be used as reinforcing in the foundations of buildings or whatever no problem. Chucking the residues in the nearest creek however...
There is hardly any waste at all, over 800 individual prices of hand cut carbon sheet go into one of our frames, some very small indeed. Any carbon left goes to a carbon component maker. None gets dumped.

Last edited:
Reactions: tillson