Wisper Noise

torritime

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2011
Hello all. I have just bought a Wisper 805 fe. When its on full assist the motor is a little noisey. Its a wizzing noise which comes on under load, is this OK. John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is normal John. The characteristics of these internally geared hub motor is that they make the most noise when pulling away from a standstill, and it's best to help with pedalling then to abvoid strain on the motor's gears.

The noise is exactly the same uphill when pulling hard, a sort of growling whining sound. If you are familiar with electric milk delivery floats, you'll knw they make similar sounds when going uphill.

As a hub motor bike's speed increases, the noise reduces and can be very low towards and at maximum speed. You can use the noise to judge the current consumption, the more noise you hear, the more current is being used, so helping with pedalling then will increase range the most.

I have an article on the noise this type of motor produces on my website if you want to know more:

Hub Motor Noise

Reactions: Fold up E bike man

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hello all. I have just bought a Wisper 805 fe. When its on full assist the motor is a little noisey. Its a wizzing noise which comes on under load, is this OK. John.
Hi John, that is perfectly normal and will quieten down in time.

Thanks for choosing a Wisper! Enjoy!!

Best regards

David :)

Advertisers