Woman Dies after being struck by Ebike

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I just saw the news that a woman in London who was hit by a hit and run ebike(it was found abandoned) has unfortunately died. Will this affect us as ebikers , because at the moment they seem to see it as a cycling incident and not as an exclusively ebike incident. Could this incident especially if followed by more ebike related accidents promote attention on us. They certainly wont ease the legal requirements, for example increase the max power assisted speed to a sensible 20 mph and we might come under more unwelcome scrutiny as a lot of us are flaunting the letter of the law by over riding that speed limit or fitting engines that are up to 4 times over the 250w limit. :eek:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not at all sure that I would want any increase in power assisted speed limit.

Isn't about 15 mph already above the serious capacity for humans to run? Isn't that a pretty high speed to mix in with others using shared-use paths?

Sure, I often reach 30 mph on my ride in to work, but that is on the road with motorised vehicles. And it is only possible, for me, on the downhill section.

Why shouldn't someone using a vehicle with 1000 W accept that it is a motorcycle of some sort?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry didn't see the other thread. I would be OK with the moderators removing this thread as its a duplicate.
No problem, duplicates are ok, we get lots of them. A cross link like I posted means both can be seen.

Reactions: oyster