Woosh Big Bear - Impressions

pushuphill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2017
Shropshire
Hi,

I was looking for help recently in this thread. I ended up with the Big Bear.

Still early days but I hope my first impressions below help.

Set up:
Easier than expected. There is less assembly than detailed in the accompanying user manual. What set up there was was pretty easy and there was a tool kit included.

Equipment:
The front light was fitted and not the clip/torch model in the manual. Bonus.

In use:
It's great. I'm using the 3rd assistance level because I don't wan't to knacker myself early on and go back to zero exercise. I zip along on the level and the assistance is perfect for making progress up the long inclines on my commute (it's only 4 miles each way - 17mins).

I'm not really pushing the battery life on my mileage but I can comfortably do three days without a recharge if I wanted.

It's heavy when trying to get into one of those vertical bike racks. I try to get it on one side of it and get the D ring lock on the rack frame.

Not sure about:
Do I need to remove the battery each day? It makes sense for security but what about rain/weather, it it a must. Carrying the battery is an additional bit of faff when arriving or leaving work.

Niggle:
The battery fits snuggly under the rack. This makes attaching/removing panniers fiddly. Not really a bike design issue but a niggle all the same.

Overall:
Just great so far.
I'm getting some exercise.
I'm getting some fresh air.
I want to get on the bike, it's not a chore.
You get a great smug feeling cruising up hills.

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
Hi, I think it would be best to take the battery off every time, it's an expensive part of the set and prolonged weather could damage it, or thieves in the know could turn it from a big bear into a bug bear up those hills :) hope you continue to enjoy it, post a little more info after a few more weeks maybe

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can take the battery out as often as you like, but do put a bit of grease on the battery's terminals from time to time to protect them against corrosion. Any grease will do. I tend to use white Lithium grease or all moving parts of the bike.
The danger is forgetting to lock the battery after you put the battery back. It happened to me, ride away with a battery unlocked!

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Weldtite-Lithium-Grease-Tube-40gm_53127.htm

• Informative
Reactions: Wheel-E