Woosh Gale Frame points

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
thank you for the suggestion.
I'll sort out some velcro straps for the future.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
The Gale headset may wear prematurely, and you may be unable to keep them adjusted. So fit new ball bearings in cages, with plenty of grease and hope the bearing races have not worn thru the hardened layer, or you'll need a whole new headset. Not expensive, but a fiddly job or costs if a shop does it.

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
thank you for the suggestion.
I'll sort out some velcro straps for the future.
If you mean to Velcro ON some buffers, yes. If you mean Velcro the frame folded, no, that wont prevent the parts of the frame damaging each other. I mean rubber buffers in BETWEEN the frame parts. They could even have the Woosh logo on them and be used as part of the branding on your folding bikes.

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
many thanks, MB, for suggestions and pictures.
They help a lot.

I was thinking of this kind of velcro tape:

When you fold the bike, they may hold the two parts together and at the same time, stop scratching the paint.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Velcro fold strap & buffer. Mmm, Well I'm always for killing two birds with one stone, metaphorically speaking of course
Takes care of one contact point, but there are two more.
A Dahon Magnetix type of catch would be better, with the handlebars folding in between the frame halves, tho the latter would be a tight fit.
A compromise would be a spring catch holding a straight handlepost folding backward at 45deg to the right, with a forward leaning angle. That would avoid the awkward forward handlepost curve that makes the present stick out, and the grips would be tucked into the frame.

Attachments

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Apparently there is a new Gale on the way. I wonder if it is anything like Addmotor Motan and its ilk?
The move to 1 1/8 headset means a Dahon style handlepost with a neat hinge can be used instead of Zoom.

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
no, the new gale looks suspiciously like the old one, except for some small changes (brakes, suspension fork, chainwheel).
The Gales going out from today have ant-scruff protections:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
I also forgot to suggest a cure for the steel motor axle corroding itself into the alloy dropout on the left, non-drive side.
I think the steel stand in contact with the ground makes a galvanic corrosion connection with the axle & dropout. When i had a puncture i had to put the axle nut back on, hold a piece of wood under it and hammer the wood to free the wheel from the upside down bike!
Suggest a rubber foot for the stand as many other bike manufacturers provide. No contact, no corrosion, hopefully.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
eb529-20_25.jpg This example seems to have a foot on the stand, but it's difficult to tell coz the logo gets in the way.
I notice that the stand is attached to the chainstay, and not under the axle nut, this will also avoid dropout/axle corrosion.

Last edited:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
no, the new gale looks suspiciously like the old one, except for some small changes (brakes, suspension fork, chainwheel).
The Gales going out from today have ant-scruff protections:

"Anti-Scruff protection"! Yes, very important these days.There's a lot of scruffs about
Do they ever change their quality control stickers?
Does "20" and "02" mean anything?
Did they make a drain hole in the controller housing, or at least seal the entries? Cheers

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Did they make a drain hole in the controller housing, or at least seal the entries? Cheers
not at the factory.
We put in a small cabletie to let the water out and seal the cable inlet in Southend.
I suppose we can drill a 3mm hole to let the water out.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Maybe it's just me but I think Velcro on the frame is a bit ridiculous. I'd want something more professional. For what it's worth, I think unpainted bike parts (whether chrome or aluminium) look really nice. You'd not have paint damage then. Perhaps you'd still get a blemish of some sort, but it might be a lot less ugly.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
IMG-20170511-WA0000.jpeg Re the new Gales black chainguard, suggest it be at least a half guard. Have ruined too many light coloured summer trousers with chain oil and muck.
The chain will also last a lot longer if protected from front wheel spray and grit!
Here is a picture of a real bike with a real chainguard, hehe. If only I was man enough to ride it further than 4mi :-/.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Is it spot the difference?

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"Anti-Scruff protection"! Yes, very important these days.There's a lot of scruffs about
Mike,

this is the other anti-scruff protection:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
20170708_182314.jpg Also if the Gales rear mudguard wasn't cut short but came down to the bottom of the controller housing it would keep water away from it and keep the bike cleaner. 'Two birds..' again :)

Last edited:

Advertisers