Woosh Gale power cutting out & display issue

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
the formula is V = R * I
Voltage sag = R battery resistance * I controller current
in average riding, R =0.3 Ohm, I =5A, V = 1.5V

if your battery is tired, V can be 2V or even 2.5V
Good one Woosh, I like your knowledge and experience which you have clearly displayed here.

MS.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Found the answer to my querey re Battery Date of Manufacture, i think..
It was on the forum all the time (blush) :oops:
Quote "Now, to easily read the mysterious codes on the Phylion battery , it is very simple . Example The serial no. S/N: JGJHBF 100082 = 070826 = 2007, Aug, 26th the 82nd battery of the day.
J is 0 , ABCD... is 1234 and the last 2 digits is the nos. of battery done that day". So far, so good!
And my battery is:
"XH370-13J battery is AEJHJB1AH02H1529"
So it looks like: 15/08/02, and 1529th battery produced in that run? but don't know what the '1AH02H' is all about, maybe the time? o_O.
Re new controls, this would be better than a 790, hehe.twist-throttle-grips-with-led-display.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

Found the answer to my querey re Battery Date of Manufacture, i think..
It was on the forum all the time (blush) :oops:
Quote "Now, to easily read the mysterious codes on the Phylion battery , it is very simple . Example The serial no. S/N: JGJHBF 100082 = 070826 = 2007, Aug, 26th the 82nd battery of the day.
J is 0 , ABCD... is 1234 and the last 2 digits is the nos. of battery done that day". So far, so good!
And my battery is:
"XH370-13J battery is AEJHJB1AH02H1529"
So it looks like: 15/08/02, and 1529th battery produced in that run? but don't know what the '1AH02H' is all about, maybe the time? o_O.
Re new controls, this would be better than a 790, hehe.View attachment 21544
It's not better than a 790 because it has different functions. It's basically a throttle with a speed display. The 790 controls the pedal assist level. you can use them both together, though, to get the best of both.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Right D8veh, yes, unsuitable, i wrote that tongue in cheek, while i was looking for better controls. I thought instead of just getting new Artek lever cutouts that will fail, a new 790 that may also leak, with a corroded controller, how about better Wuxing levers, a waterproof LCD display (existing Wuxing throttle reliable), maybe with a new controller that is compatible with the 'old' 3-pin non-Hall Bafang motor and Phylion batt, all waterproof HiGo connectored?
I see a "Tester" https://m.ebay.ie/itm/24V-36V-48V-60V-Electric-Bike-Car-Scooter-Brushless-Motor-Controller-Tester-UK-/272025774151... I wonder if that would eliminate the guesswork?
Cheers.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Strangest thing, on way back from town, and 1 display led, out of 4, actually started going off on inclines and then off altogether after 12mile run. Don't tell me its fixed itself..
Maybe if i wait long enough it'll stop cutting out on bumps and finally get to 15.5mph without a tailwind or downhill. o_O.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Was wondering how long can Gale battery be left, switched off, 90%ish charge, indoors, without discharging too low please? Thx.
I am in London for a long period, possibly 6 months, due to a family emergency and i just had to leave the bike parked in hallway and go.
Cheers, Mikel

D

Deleted member 4366

It should be OK like that. Don't leave it fully-charged.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Strangest thing, on way back from town, and 1 display led, out of 4, actually started going off on inclines and then off altogether after 12mile run. Don't tell me its fixed itself..
Maybe if i wait long enough it'll stop cutting out on bumps and finally get to 15.5mph without a tailwind or downhill. o_O.
The Gale will only go up to 12mph, at least that's what mine does.

Richard10666

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2018
Well, I opened the controller housing but am still not able to slide out the battery. It shifts upwards 1or 2mm but no further. The Jun2014 controller in this bike purchased Nov2015 shows signs of being affected by water ingress to the housing. I did seal the front cable entry with silicone when the latex fell out previously and informed Woosh. And I did ask then if the open rear cable exit should be sealed too but got no reply. I shall seal it now.
I am not inclined to try and force the battery out of its slide while the bike works. The slide or battery are probably catching somewhere and may break if forced.
Not sure if the controller, etc, has been affected due to water ingress thru the unsealed cable entry, but it seems likely given the 'always 4leds until dead' behaviour.
(Controller says LVC is 31v, so assume BMS is shutting off at 33.3v for 10s at 3.3v per cell.)
Any suggestions?
Hi
My wife has the same bike, same problem ,
It was the quick release seat post latch catching top of the battery,
All the best

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Progress report:
After 10 months away, I returned, charged the battery, and its been running ok since.
Range is way down of course, I estimate about 20miles instead of 40. Thats still good considering it was just sitting, untended, for so long.
Have to think about a new battery though, it won't last forever.
And repaint the hub motor, silver is flaking off, no wonder as it's used on salted wet winter roads here. Wonder if it needs 2 coat, alloy primer first, or just black Finnegans all-in-one and do wheel rims at same time?
Should have done it when wheel was off for puncture recently. Put front tyre on back with outer ring of old tube as 1mm liner and studded 1.6 schwalbe winter on front for now.
Crashed and cracked gear shifter so new one on order, and brifter too to see if it will clear throttle switch. Want more upgrades, hehe.
And the Gale keeps going.
Cheers to Woosh

Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers