Woosh Karoo V Oxygen S-Cross MTB?

Clare the Rear

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2016
Ipswich
Hiya all, I've just returned from Oz:D Back to the search for an Ebike for the New Year. Been looking at Woosh Karoo (I'm 5' 8" without my heels) & Oxygen S-Cross MTB Models. They both seem to be good bikes for the money (Good review on the Woosh Karoo EddiePJ) but i think the Oxygen is better looking, Is it worth £500 more than the Karoooo:)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Clare,

The Woosh with the nearest specs compared to the Oxygen is the Zephyr 2017, a full suspension bike that happens to be foldable.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2017
Woosh will have a hardtail MTB with similar specs beginning March, called the Rio MTB.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it will be £1,049, same price compared to the 2017 Zephyr-B. Both have the same motor, controller, LCD and hydraulic brakes. Same 21kg weight.
Differences: the Rio MTB is of course not foldable. Other than that, the Rio has very high spec components: 13AH semi-hidden battery while the Zephyr B has 12AH hidden battery, same GXP crankset as on the Karoo and a lighter RST Omega suspension fork than the Zephyr's 100mm Suntour XCM.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

The Woosh Karoo is a light-weight efficient commuter type of bike. the oxygen S-Cross MTB is a hard-tail MTB, so it's difficult to compare. The S-cross CB would be a closer comparison. You get hydraulic brakes, reasonable suspension forks and a cassette motor on the Oxygen MTB, which are the main contribution to the price difference.

I've ridden the Oxygen, as they have them at my local ebike shop. It's very fast (derestricted) and sure-footed. It really inspires you with confidence when you ride it. It would be great for light trails and bumpy roads as well as making it as a fast comfy commuter.

I haven't had a chance to ride the Woosh Karoo yet, but i'm sure that it's a good bike too. I'd upgrade the brakes to hydraulics if there's money in the budget. That gives you set-and forget reliable brakes. I can imagine that it's a little more efficient than the Oxygen regarding battery usage, and on the downside, not as comfortable when the road gets bumpy. Maybe someone can send you a PM about derestriction if that's important to you. At £900 it makes it's pretty good value.

• Informative
Reactions: Clare the Rear

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Clare,

I think that with your rear the Karoo would be perfect.
On a serious note, you are not a million miles from Southend, why not try to come down and have a test ride? We are open Mondays to Fridays, (Saturdays in winter by appointment).