Woosh MTB conversion rear gears question

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
I have a donor MTB now for converting to use on lanes and trails.
Does anyone see any problems with the gears that it currently has or any other problems come to that? The shimano cog on the back has 8 cogs? Seems excessive
Going to go with hub conversion. Woosh looks like the best bet. I need to confirm that their battery has built in controller though. I also could go with front hub but think it won't be as nice? To ride anyway.
Anyone know if the woosh hub is good at assisting on hills. I'm 12 stone, fairly fit but want pas on the long drags uphill. I have disk brakes on the front but will have to make do with V the back as it doesn't have the pegs for disk. Shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks
Alex
IMG_20170318_164503139.jpg IMG_20170318_164441413.jpg

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: alexsally
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, not so straight forward. They used to do a cassette kit, but I haven't seen it mentioned recently and it's not as powerful as the normal kit they sell. At only 12 stone, power shouldn't be an issue.

To use their SWX02 kit, you need to fit a freewheel gear set. That means 7 speed max and a top gear that's too low (13T or14T). You can get 8 speed freewheels but they're wider, so you need more off-set in the rim to get it central in the frame, which can give spoke problems because of the lack of tension in left side ones. Alternatively, you can stretch your frame a bit and put a spacer on the left side as you don't have disc brakes. I have some 8 speed freewheels with 11T top gear if you decide on one.

A kit with a cassette motor would be much more straight-forward because you can use your present cassette. You'll only need to do the basic adjustments afterwards to the end-stop positions, and maybe the cable.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A kit with a cassette motor would be much more straight-forward
I agree. The XF08C kit uses the same HL1260 18A controller* so power is not a problem, except I don't have them in 26" rims at the moment, only 700C rims.

*All other components except motor wheel are also same.

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
I can't make out the model of the rear cogs but they look like an 8-speed cassette. The tyre looks like 26".
My suggestion is an SWX02 kit.

If you go ahead, ask for a left side pedal sensor because you have triple chainings.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#swx02kit

You will also need a new 8-speed freewheel.

https://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/products/13-28-8-speed-shimano-compatible-freewheel

left side pedal sensor:

8-speed freewheel to replace the cassette:
Thanks. Don't know if this helps... it says shimano hg megarange 34t cs-hg41-80ao
alex33147774270_14f14413dd_k.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Simples buy the 700c kit and have the CST relaced in to his 26"rim.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
I really don't know much about bike gears (as you can probably tell) so I think..
I could get the 8 speed freewheel like woosh linked to but it would be too wide in the frame?
If I get a 7 speed it will fit but it will be too low / slow in "top" gear.
Could I get a 7 speed that fits on nicely and change a front cog if I need too?
swapping / adjusting gears doesn't daunt me too much but re-lacing a wheel does :)
Alex

I have a donor MTB now for converting to use on lanes and trails.
Does anyone see any problems with the gears that it currently has or any other problems come to that? The shimano cog on the back has 8 cogs? Seems excessive
Going to go with hub conversion. Woosh looks like the best bet. I need to confirm that their battery has built in controller though. I also could go with front hub but think it won't be as nice? To ride anyway.
Anyone know if the woosh hub is good at assisting on hills. I'm 12 stone, fairly fit but want pas on the long drags uphill. I have disk brakes on the front but will have to make do with V the back as it doesn't have the pegs for disk. Shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks
Alex
View attachment 18253 View attachment 18254
Have you consisted mid drive options? BBS01 being the obvious choice.
Less change to the bike, built in controller, better weight distribution and balance for off road, keep existing transmission, cassette, wheels etc., plenty of torque for the up hills and totally free running for the downs.
Choice of champions ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I could get the 8 speed freewheel like woosh linked to but it would be too wide in the frame?
No. Don't worry about it. It's most likely that you don't have to do anything but Jim @ Woosh can always assist you to centre your wheel to the frame.
The main difference compared to your cassette at present is the number of teeth on the smallest cog. Yours has 11 teeth, the one I linked to has 13 teeth, D8veh's has 11 teeth. d8veh's freewheel is a better choice.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a 14-34 mega-range Shimano freewheel on a 26" mxus wheel, it requires a 48 or 50 tooth big chainwheel if you want some decent speed on the road (flat or downhill). In my view that isn't a problem, in fact a double chainwheel say 50-38, would get you over most terrain with a reasonably powerful hub motor.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
I'm going hub not crank cos its miles cheaper and if I like it, I have 4 bikes! Plus if I fit it well my mum wants a kit fitting to hers :)
I'm sure when I've done one the mystery will all disappear.
@Woosh how much am I looking at for the kt with a left hand sensor?
wouldn't need a thumb throttle. Oh, and the battery has controller inbuilt doesn't it?
thanks
Alex

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
how much am I looking at for the kt with a left hand sensor?
The SWX02 kit with the left side PAS costs £529 with 13AH HL battery, £589 with 15AH HL battery. The 13AH gives you about 35-40 mile range, a bit more if you pedal a lot. The 50AH battery gives about 45-50 mile range.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#swx02kit

It looks like this:

This one has the left side pedal sensor fitted, you have to zoom in the cranks to see:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes we do.

I'm going hub not crank cos its miles cheaper and if I like it, I have 4 bikes! Plus if I fit it well my mum wants a kit fitting to hers :)
I'm sure when I've done one the mystery will all disappear.
@Woosh how much am I looking at for the kt with a left hand sensor?
wouldn't need a thumb throttle. Oh, and the battery has controller inbuilt doesn't it?
thanks
Alex
Can totally understand that. You get what you pay for and a hub drive sounds like it'll suit your needs well.
Try a mid-drive bike one day if you haven't already, especially a well configured BBSxx motor system.
Enjoy your launch into the electric revolution :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
BE, the SWX02 kit uses the same components we put in the Woosh Sport bike. I know for sure that the performance of the Bafang SWX02 coupled with an 18A Lishui HL1260 sine wave controller is on the par with a BBS01 18A 350W kit.
Since we fit the left side PAS to the Sport bike, the installation of the SWX02 kit is just as easy as with BBS01/BBS02 kit. The weight distribution is also good.
The choice is down to your style of riding. If you think it's masochistic to have to select the right gear all the times, then the SWX02 is the way to go.

Last edited: