Review Woosh Rio MTB Review/Initial Impressions

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Yea the controller has 17a written on it, I never went above that and only tested it for about 30 miles total. Then 13ah for about 10 miles but didn't find a significant difference in battery life or range

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Got it! That makes sense, the battery is 36V -15AH = 540 WHs. This is the maximum amount of energy it has.

So if I run it set at 15 amps for an hour I will use all 540 units of energy, higher at 17amps it will run out in about 50 minutes and presumable if I run it at 13 amps it will last a little longer than an hour!

(I said my knowledge of electricity was limited)

In terms of energy consumption all that makes sense, what I'm still a little confused about is the ability to feed 612W to a 250W motor......if it can handle 612W then why is it rated at 250W.

I apologise if this is really stupid question!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the 250W is the guaranteed performance.
As long as you don't derestrict it, the motor will not exceed 250W on a flat road.
You are allowed to use more than 250W when climbing hills.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
The hole in the fork crown where the mudguard's bung is fitted has never been designed for hanging the mudguards, it's just the inside of the fork's steerer tube.
The bung where the front mudguard is clipped on can swish inside the steerer tube. for something better, how about this £15 pair:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-narrow-road-clip-on-mudguard?sku=5360704703
How would these attach? I'm looking for new ones, the ones on there just dont do much especially the front

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
So....there is a heated debate gong on in Northern Ireland right now, Stephen Nolan who is a guy off the telly and the radio recently asked his viewers on their opinions on electric bikes as he was thinking of getting one.

This then brought to light the fact that when in 1995 England, Scotland and Wales introduced the Pedelec law that states that any vehicle up to 250 watts and up to 15.5 mph is still a bicycle, Northern Ireland didn't bother to sign at the same time.

They didn't disagree with it.....they just didn't bother their arse to actually do the paperwork.

Mark Patterson is a local radio presenter and a guy I've known for a long time asked me if I's come on the show to talk about which I did on Thursday, if anyone is interested you can listen to it here. Skip to 5.25 and then you can hear me and Mark discuss how laughable it is that technically I should now go and get an MOT, a license plate, do my motorbike test and get insurance!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Got it! That makes sense, the battery is 36V -15AH = 540 WHs. This is the maximum amount of energy it has.

So if I run it set at 15 amps for an hour I will use all 540 units of energy, higher at 17amps it will run out in about 50 minutes and presumable if I run it at 13 amps it will last a little longer than an hour!

(I said my knowledge of electricity was limited)

In terms of energy consumption all that makes sense, what I'm still a little confused about is the ability to feed 612W to a 250W motor......if it can handle 612W then why is it rated at 250W.

I apologise if this is really stupid question!
1. No stupid questions only stupid answers.. usually.
2. Slight correction to above, when you draw current from a battery at a high rate it actually delivers less energy than if you draw it off more slowly. So suppliers will quote energy delivery in terms of current.so the 13 amp usage will give more than a simple 17/13 calculation would suggest.
3. Not all the energy delivered to an electric motor gets turned into useful mechanical power, some gets wasted as heat and if a motor is heavily loaded or going slower than its design speed, it can be wasting the majority of its power as heat.

With the current legal situation in NI and ebikes, it was a brave thing to supply evidence to support a prosecution!. Hopefully it won't happen.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Little update.
Total miles ridden: 630.

Did some more range testing. I'm currently on a diet as i've gained some weight, sitting at 170lb or 12 stone 2. So went out for a ride using assist 1 only. I've never done this before. I did a total of 13.7 miles, about 4 of those going around a nature reserve offroad track which was fun. It was hard work but not as hard as I thought it would be. Maybe i've got fitter since owning the bike.
For example on a hill which I could ride at 14-16mph on assist 2, on assist 1 i'd be going 12-14mph, and I found on the flats, 14-15.5mph was easy to maintain. After that range I lost 1 bar after 5 miles, with another bar being lost up a hill but came back on level ground, so I guess i'd used 1 1/2 bars of power, which weirdly isn't any better than if I used assist 2 the whole time. Maybe the battery needs another full discharge and balance.

Some pics, it got quite dirty, still loads of tread on the front tyre.

IMG_20170812_161652.jpg IMG_20170812_161645.jpg IMG_20170812_161722.jpg IMG_20170812_161702.jpg

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Those fork sliders look fairly greasy. To prevent them from becoming scored and damaged, it would be prudent to carefully wipe them clean, and preferably also remove the seal at the top, and do the same.

A periodic application of Fork Juice or similar is also worthwhile.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Only trying to help. Those fork sliders aren't going to last long if left as they are.

They are already looking the worse for wear with score marks. Feel free to moan to Woosh with yet another complaint, due to your own ignorance.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Only trying to help. Those fork sliders aren't going to last long if left as they are.
you dont service forks like that you throw them in the bin ;)

a fox fork service costs more than that fork anyway ;)

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
but the rolex will go up in price and the casio goes in the bin ;)

even my rolex replica is worth more now pmsl it also dont need battery.

if it has 26inc wheels then look on ebay some bargains to be had and a serviceable fork ;)

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
but the rolex will go up in price and the casio goes in the bin ;)

even my rolex replica is worth more now pmsl it also dont need battery.

if it has 26inc wheels then look on ebay some bargains to be had and a serviceable fork ;)
Casio watches go on and on, and if they break you're right, in the bin and £20 for a new one for the next 10 years.
Meanwhile the Rolex...

http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.php?/topic/95522-how-much-is-a-rolex-service-these-days/

£650 service for parts costing £55, the rest being labour.

Harry-Enfield-I-saw-you-coming-sketch.jpg

Related Articles

Advertisers