Review Woosh Rio MTB Review/Initial Impressions

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
the Rio uses 50-cell casing, the 48V 17AH that Damian mentioned uses 65-cell casing, they are taller but still fit. The Rio 17AH battery is made with 10S5P in NCR Panasonic cells for 10S5P, cost: £399. I can fit 10S6P 20AH into a 65-cell casing. The cost for the 20AH would be £369.
Why is the 20AH cheaper?

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
I stumbled on this almost completely by accident but I am thinking about upgrades down the line.

Mainly, bigger battery + beefier controller = More speed!

When the warranty runs out of course!

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Hows everyone getting on with their Rio's? At around 850 miles now. Only doing around 30 miles a week, using throttle a lot more just to get to where I need to go quicker. Its getting cold and the wind always seems to be against me lol. No issues to report, try to keep up on maintenance. Expected some loose spokes by now due to some of the rough terrain i've been on but so far so good. Front brake squeak has returned, it's really loud but it still brakes firmly. Maybe a contaminated pad?

Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Front brake squeak has returned, it's really loud but it still brakes firmly. Maybe a contaminated pad?
sometimes the inner and outer pistons don't push an equal amount on the rotor, so that the rotor moves laterally a millimeter or two when braking, causing the brakes to squeal or squeak. Let me know if it's the case.

• Informative

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
sometimes the inner and outer pistons don't push an equal amount on the rotor, so that the rotor moves laterally a millimeter or two when braking, causing the brakes to squeal or squeak. Let me know if it's the case.
Im away over the weekend but assuming it is the case, what is the fix for it?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Im away over the weekend but assuming it is the case, what is the fix for it?
if this is the case, there is a simple 5 minute trick to make sure that both pistons move well and equally.

• Useful

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
You have way more miles up than me Volusia, I'm only at 155 miles now. I only do 4 miles a day.

I didn't put slime in the tires and I haven't had a puncture yet either!

I am happy to report that aside from having to tighten the battery case screws the bike has been absolutely flawless. I honestly don't have a bad word to say about it.

I made a little video tonight which is a side by side comparison of the long hill on the commute home I'm always whinging about. My old road bike on the left versus the Woosh Rio on the right!

D

Deleted member 4366

I contacted the seller of the SKS set and they said they won't fit as the Woosh has no screwholes at the front hub. I had a good look round the bike and there are a set of holes at the back but none at the front. I'm tempted to buy them anyway and then bodge something.

As Tony said, they are normally used for a rack but can be used for the rear guard.

I need a good solution for the front as me feet are getting soaked from spray from the front wheel.

I think I'll do more research before buying, its a shame to spoil the look of the bike with full guards, but it also sucks turning up to work feeling like some has thrown a bucket of water over me!
SKS Beavertails fit. They have a single fixing to the fork crown, which is all they need because they're relatively stiff. Even if you don't have the 6mm hole in your forks, you can cable-tie them, which is how I fitted them to my bike.

rocky2.jpg

Paul_T

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2017
Barnstaple
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I have had my Rio for a couple of weeks now with some 60 miles on the clock. So far i'm very impressed no complaints at all really. I have changed out the mudguards with the full sks type. The front is a little tricky but with Pclips and some patience its a can do. Going to leave the seat for now-see if I can get used to it. Anyway big thumbs up to Woosh bikes.

Paul_T

Just Joined
Sep 30, 2017
Barnstaple
I need help! What is the exact size of bolt i need for that hole?
Hi Damian. Um im not sure. What I do know is the SKS set of screws won't do it for you. what I did bottom Pclips aside, lots of PTFE tape get a fair grip, then screw over the top of the arch. Now the front is not going anywhere. Easy from now, Pclips and patients. I will take some pics if you want.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Thanks guys, like all of you there is a load of miscellaneous bolts lying ion the bottom of my toolbox and there all slightly too big or too small.

I was hoping Woosh might know the exact size so I could purchase a bag of them off ebay!

I'll try an M6 but if you happen to be near one of your Rio's with a M6 in your hand I would be mighty obliged if you could test it and see! ;)

I bought these mudgaurds:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-26-CYCLE-MUDGUARDS-SET-FRONT-REAR-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-MTB-ROAD-BIKE-V-brake/151737557255?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I put the rear one one last night but it doesn't cover enough off the back wheel. The rear guard that came with the bike, once I'd got it tight, secure and positioned well did a much better job.

The reason I bought them was for the front....which is why i need a bolt. There are no stays with the front guard so it has to be secure!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Informative
Reactions: Damian.Doherty

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
I put the rear one one last night but it doesn't cover enough off the back wheel. The rear guard that came with the bike, once I'd got it tight, secure and positioned well did a much better job.

The reason I bought them was for the front....which is why i need a bolt. There are no stays with the front guard so it has to be secure!
This guy has a good mudguard setup:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/purchased-a-2018-cube-reaction-race-500.29316/page-2

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Hi Tony, so a bag of M5 and M6 nuts arrived today, the M5 is too small and the M6 is too big! :(

Did you have to push the M5 in a bit before it caught the threads?

Its a weird kind of hole cause its threaded right from the opening but I can easily just push the M5 in about 4 or 5 mm before there is any resistance from the threads ???

Related Articles

Advertisers