Review Woosh Rio MTB Review/Initial Impressions

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Still has nothing to do with the bike as supplied, you have modified it and are commenting on the components that you have modified in a review thread.
I'd be a lot more concerned about the parts that are coming loose, made of cheese and wheels that are out of true than anything else.
If its an ongoing review, then why not comment on things he has changed to make improvements or personalize to suit his requirements? Makes sense to me.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
If its an ongoing review, then why not comment on things he has changed to make improvements or personalize to suit his requirements? Makes sense to me.
No issue with that at all, but having negative comments about something you have modfied is just ridiculous.
If you either remove the valve cores or force slime though the valve you have changed it from its original specification, your problem.
If you don't like the tyres as supplied for instance and you then change them for lets say Marathons then you can't complain that the bike as supplied doesn't like wet mud

Last edited:

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
No issue with that at all, but having negative comments about something you have modfied is just ridiculous.
I would call it telling a story. Many people make modifications to bikes after they purchase, some work some dont....isnt it nice to hear that something you may have thought of doing doesnt work before you try something similar yourself?

Reactions: richardg6paj

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I thought it was quite helpful to know that if you squirt slime in yourself, there's a chance you might gunk up the valves a bit. Valves going 'dodgy' by the slime going through them rather than being faulty (which would be very unlucky if they were both the same) in the first place.

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: BornAgainCyclist

BornAgainCyclist

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Sanderstead
What Gaz said, the slime can make the valve sticky and work less effectively that before. I think there is a way of cleaning it up as this happens on motorbikes too. Is the dust cap on tight, as that can help?

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Just to clarify, you don't force the slime through the valves. You remove the valve cores, inject the slime and then put the cores back in. I've ordered a bunch of cores since they're dirt cheap anyway and will see what happens. No need to get all upset over it, I wasn't complaining at the tubes, just sharing my experiences. I've done about 300 miles now on all kinds of terrain, I'd bet if I remove the tyres i'll find more than 1 plugged puncture on the tubes by now

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm struggling a little bit to find the perfect fit. I feel like my wrists are taking a bit too much weight and feel a bit sore after a while. I've tried raising and lowering the bars, moving the seat forward/back up and down but still can't get it perfectly dialed in, and dont want to spend a fortune on a professional bike fit.

Anyway on about 290 total miles now, tyres losing pressure again. Rear was at 40 since last fill up, so back up to 57, front was at 52 so put that to 57 also. Wondering if I have a dodgy valve core, will order some spare as one of them takes a while to close.
Rear wheel still reasonably true, front wheel a little out of true, had a go myself but couldnt seem to improve it, but I feel like i may as well let it get worse before getting a bike shop to fix it. None of the spokes are loose.

Also. Just some advice Woosh. But I noticed all the screws in the battery holder on the bike itself were working loose. The heads on them are also made of cheese, lose their shape very easy. But i'd suggest you loctite them all pre-sale, since i noticed another member lost the screw on his bike as it had worked loose. All other fasteners seem well made, its just these that are really soft.
Since tightening them all up the battery clicks in and out much more securely.
Things coming loose/falling off, and fixings made of cheese.

The more Chinese bikes 'improve', the more they stay the same.

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The more Chinese bikes 'improve', the more they stay the same.
that is prejudice.
You should take a closer look at the Rio.
The two M3 screws that are on the battery cradle don't have anti slip washers.
They are made of stainless steel though, not cheese.
It's easy enough to rectify when someone gives you the feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: c88dnf

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
that is prejudice.
You should take a closer look at the Rio.
The two M3 screws that are on the battery cradle don't have anti slip washers.
They are made of stainless steel though, not cheese.
It's easy enough to rectify when someone gives you the feedback.
It's an observation based on fact.

Unlike you, I couldn't give a stuff about any bike brand, including the ones I own.

If my AVE or Riese and Muller bikes fall to bits, I would post about it for the information of others.

Woosh - and other Chinese bikes - are excellent value in that you get a lot for your money.

But it is misleading to pretend they are top quality, or quality equal to bikes costing two or three times as much.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Most bike components are made in China, including those going into your bikes.
There are mistakes in all assembly jobs, what makes the difference is that there are fewer mistakes in big brand bikes because the designs are carefully checked many times before and during production so the products come through with better quality control.
In this case, the use the wrong washers, normal washers instead of anti slip lock washers may cause the screws to work loose. Once it comes you my attention, I make sure that we correct the potential problem.
The use of pejoratives in this case is not justified at all.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I agree quality control comes into it as well as quality of components.

Thus out of 100 cheap bikes, a couple more will go wrong than will out of 100 expensive bikes.

If you get one of 'non fault' cheap bikes the job's a good 'un.

Equally, if you get one of the (fewer) expensive bikes that go wrong, you are more hacked off than you would otherwise have been.

My local bike shop only gives new Bromptons a cursory inspection because they nearly all arrive ready to ride.

Cheap mountain bikes, on the other hand, take quite a bit of building because they often require wheels truing, brake rotors straightening, gears adjusting, and the like.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
in case anyone wonders what the fuss is about, they are the two M3 bolts that hold the battery cradle to the frame.

We now put blue loctite on the bolts and add anti slip washers.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Cheap mountain bikes, on the other hand, take quite a bit of building because they often require wheels truing, brake rotors straightening, gears adjusting, and the like.
we do more than that on our bikes.
the Tianjin factory that makes the Rio is not bad really.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Just to clarify, you don't force the slime through the valves. You remove the valve cores, inject the slime and then put the cores back in. I've ordered a bunch of cores since they're dirt cheap anyway and will see what happens. No need to get all upset over it, I wasn't complaining at the tubes, just sharing my experiences. I've done about 300 miles now on all kinds of terrain, I'd bet if I remove the tyres i'll find more than 1 plugged puncture on the tubes by now
The main good thing about this is that we have now all learnt something new about tyres, valves and slime, which is a combination of everyone's valid input, whether through knowledge or experience.

MS.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
in case anyone wonders what the fuss is about, they are the two M3 bolts that hold the battery cradle to the frame.

We now put blue loctite on the bolts and add anti slip washers.
Yea its really not a big deal, and by no means a valid reason to say the bike is 'falling to bits'.
All the other fasteners are absolutely fine, I've already had the stem and bar bolts on and off several times and not lost any shape

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
A little concerned with the battery. Fully charged it and in less than 5 miles it has dropped a bar. Just put it back on charge and I guess ill leave it on overnight.
Fitted the rack bag, a little smaller than the pictures suggest. However it can fit a fair amount.
Left pannier has a litre of Bacardi, middle storage area has a 2 litre bottle of coke, U lock and multi tool, right pannier has another 2 litre coke, puncture repair kit, pump and inner tube.
Now i can ride with an empty backpack with some room left on the rack bag. I could bungee stuff onto it too.

IMG_20170624_183446.jpg IMG_20170624_183450.jpg

Related Articles

Advertisers