Would compulsory insurance for all electric bikes put you off?

D

Deleted member 4366

It would rule out DIY builds unless it was a fixed no questions asked situation, which is highly unlikely, though possible because bikes don't yet have a registration plate.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Exactly Dave. If this story is true, I can't believe some bureaucrats have actually contemplated this outlandish idea. Probably earning far more money than you and I, and quaffing endless supplies of tea and Hobnobs.

Bureaucrats is probably the wrong term, European council members :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This was my reply on this subject in the Brexit thread:

Don't worry too much, the EU Commission are constantly putting up such ideas. Previously we've had helmets for all bikes, helmets for all e-bikes, more recently only full-face helmets for mopeds.

They generally disappear, often overruled by the Dutch who are the leading power in the EU where all cycling is concerned. When the Dutch say no to a cycling proposal, it cannot happen.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Don't worry too much, the EU Commission are constantly putting up such ideas. Previously we've had helmets for all bikes, helmets for all e-bikes, more recently only full-face helmets for mopeds.
I propose that by 2020, all electric bikes must be able to fly to an altitude of 1000 feet, plus have at least one mounted Nerf gun, to deal with pesky dogs and pedestrians.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I propose that by 2020, all electric bikes must be able to fly to an altitude of 1000 feet, plus have at least one mounted Nerf gun, to deal with pesky dogs and pedestrians.
Since almost all drones are going to have to be registered, together with a check on operator competence, that would bring much more bureacracy to e-biking.

Last edited:

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and Fordulike

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
I'd like a laser that cuts through extending dog leads!
My insurance is cheap and I am sure it would treble if compulsory.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It is a load of anti-EU waffle, this has never been mentioned by any news source this side of the sheep dip! s-pedelec number plates and compulsory insurance yes, we have those

Any fool who wouldn't buy an e-bike because it required compulsory insurance doesn't belong on an e-bike and I might add doesn't belong on the roads because likely to be a public danger!

I have insurance because it is a really good idea. The fact that my bike was home fitted with a kit did not change anything other than "please keep the bills for everything in case of a claim". If you buy a KTM from a shop the insurance company will want the bill if you file a claim anyway...

Reactions: Sarabee

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It is a load of anti-EU waffle, this has never been mentioned by any news source this side of the sheep dip! s-pedelec number plates and compulsory insurance yes, we have those

Any fool who wouldn't buy an e-bike because it required compulsory insurance doesn't belong on an e-bike and I might add doesn't belong on the roads because likely to be a public danger!

I have insurance because it is a really good idea. The fact that my bike was home fitted with a kit did not change anything other than "please keep the bills for everything in case of a claim". If you buy a KTM from a shop the insurance company will want the bill if you file a claim anyway...

I'm all in favour provided the same rule is applied to all pedestrians, rollar skaters, huluhoop users , hockey players ,, golfers, darts players and of course cricketers and any one else capable of propulsion at 10 mph .... basically anyone who might or might even be tempted to run...or throw something
Can we get a sense of perspective!!!!!

Reactions: Sarabee

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Insurance? Bring it on! Registration? Of course! But I would also would insist on being able to use my video evidence to lay charges against every motorist that put my well being at risk. The reason I say this is because in every long list of comments about anything to do with cycling, motorist slang off cyclists. The mantra the motoring yobs all sing is "I pay tax, I pay for insurance. I am sure that once cyclists are properly taxed and insured that all drivers will treat them with respect. (Insert uncontrollable laughter here) If you detect sarcasm, you would be correct :mad:

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
I'm all in favour provided the same rule is applied to all pedestrians, rollar skaters, huluhoop users , hockey players ,, golfers, darts players and of course cricketers and any one else capable of propulsion at 10 mph .... basically anyone who might or might even be tempted to run...or throw something
Can we get a sense of perspective!!!!!
And mobility scooters, we are overrun with them!

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: Fordulike and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
... Ooh. Someone's got out of bed the wrong side... Anyway they only go at 5mph
Wish that was true. The speed limit on pavements is 4 mph but on roads they are permitted 8 mph. In practice many of them can go very much faster and the speed is under the control of the riders, some of whom are hooligans.

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Flecc is right. They are an absolute menace especially on the East coast which is generally flat. We are also rural so people use them as a cheap vehicle. Saves the effort of pedalling I suppose :D