Xiongda 48V 2-speed motor kit

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

I just upgraded one of my bikes. It already had a Xiongda kit, but I wanted to try the latest 48v version with sine-wave controller. I also wanted to try one of these 48v Panasonic downtube batteries from BMSBattery.

This bike now goes to top of my favourite list. I've never ridden a better electric bike. I built it from a bare frame with everything from Ebay apart from the electrical stuff. It has Shimano integrated changers and hydraulic brakes, air suspension front and rear and a sprung Brookes Saddle. All-up weight is now 21kg.

The motor is amazing. There's no manual over-ride buttons for the automatic 2-speed changing. It's not needed anymore. The change over from high to low happens just at the right speed and is so smooth. It has the S-LCD3 type display, and when it changes down into low gear, it shows "L" where the 5 levels normally are. Everything about the motor is smooth and quiet. It's a real step up from the original 36v version. At 15A, it has slightly more torque than the 36v one at 20A. It can climb our 14% test hill at about 6 mph without pedalling with a 100kg rider onboard. Maximum no-load speed is 37km/h.

I'm really looking forward to putting some miles on this one.It seems to be very comfortable and at the same time has very precise controls and handling.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
how much does the bike cost you in total?

D

Deleted member 4366

A rough estimate says that the bike cost about £550 not counting the front wheel, which I already had. The battery (48v 11.5ah) was about £275 including shipping and duty. I bought some other stuff at the same time, so that's a pro rata price. The Xiongda kit was about £250 plus £19 duty. Rim and spokes about £30, so about £1100 in total.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Looks good. Is that 21kg with the 48v battery on?
The motor looks so small too comparing to say a bafang cst, how does it compare speed wise on the flat?
Also what is the red 3way switch for? (just curious)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
thanks d8veh for the information. When I test rode the 36V 250W version off the XD, I wasn't convinced but I now think this 48V 350W kit is the best kit in 2015.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I just upgraded one of my bikes. It already had a Xiongda kit, but I wanted to try the latest 48v version with sine-wave controller. I also wanted to try one of these 48v Panasonic downtube batteries from BMSBattery.

This bike now goes to top of my favourite list. I've never ridden a better electric bike. I built it from a bare frame with everything from Ebay apart from the electrical stuff. It has Shimano integrated changers and hydraulic brakes, air suspension front and rear and a sprung Brookes Saddle. All-up weight is now 21kg.

The motor is amazing. There's no manual over-ride buttons for the automatic 2-speed changing. It's not needed anymore. The change over from high to low happens just at the right speed and is so smooth. It has the S-LCD3 type display, and when it changes down into low gear, it shows "L" where the 5 levels normally are. Everything about the motor is smooth and quiet. It's a real step up from the original 36v version. At 15A, it has slightly more torque than the 36v one at 20A. It can climb our 14% test hill at about 6 mph without pedalling with a 100kg rider onboard. Maximum no-load speed is 37km/h.

I'm really looking forward to putting some miles on this one.It seems to be very comfortable and at the same time has very precise controls and handling.

the thing i like most is that its so small - i wonder if it would slot into (stretched) brompton drop-outs with a brompton dérailleur?

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks good. Is that 21kg with the 48v battery on?
The motor looks so small too comparing to say a bafang cst, how does it compare speed wise on the flat?
Also what is the red 3way switch for? (just curious)
The red switch is for my dipping ( 2-power) Banggood light, which isn't fitted yet. The weight includes the battery. The motor is lower power than a Bafang CST, so you don't get that mid-range rush, but it can climb very steep hills and sustain about 20 mph cruising speed on the flat if you want to go that fast.

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks great, what sort of power consumption is it delivering, how far is it likely to go on a battery?
The controller is 15A, but that's at 48v, so max power from the battery is 819W. The battery has about 550WH. How far you go depends on speed, hills, weight and pedal power. For my hilly rides at an average speed of about 14 mph with a 100kg rider, I expect about 50 miles.

D

Deleted member 4366

the thing i like most is that its so small - i wonder if it would slot into (stretched) brompton drop-outs with a brompton dérailleur?
No chance. It's wider than a normal hub-motor. You could probably get a rear one in if you went to single-speed, i.e. no gears.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Not sure the value of the xiondga on a brompton??? With 16" wheel you shouldn't have torque issue?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

Looking great. What's the top speed no pedaling of this motor at 48v? And power consumption at max speed?

Any chance it could go to 25mph max speed? I'd consider getting one if that could do that

D

Deleted member 4366

37 km/h no-load speed means about 21mph on the road. It's only a 15A controller, so consumption won't be very high. It's not an over-volted 36v one. It's a proper 48v one, so has a lower speed winding for better efficiency.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm currently using 2 bikes:
- 1 mountain bike with cute100H fitted. Great and goes fast. Up to 25mph. has good torque and is really simple to manage. Silent. Really really good.
- 1 road bike with BBS02.

I really like my cute100H bike. But...
- It lacks the startup nippiness of the BB02. On busy road where start and stop are frequents, where filtering car needs to be done FAST or it can be dangerous, where bus stop and cars stop in my lane and I need to quickly change lane when I have enough room as cars never let me pass...
Then the cute100H is not good enough compared to the BBS02.

- It also top up at 25mph while my BBS02 can top up to 30mph or more... if I have good slope...

So these 2 points makes me prefer the BBS02 over the Q100H. I was wondering if the xiondga could in any way perform as well as the BBS02 in these conditions?

Maybe request for a 20" motor winding on 48V and overvolt it to 14s + use 700c rim on motor....

Although I may need to resign to the fact that a 15A controller will never be as powerful as a 25A one..

D

Deleted member 4366

I tried the 36v Xiongda kit at 12S, which increased it's speed to 24 mph on the road. I guess you need a 48v controller to go to 13S and another 2 mph. A 20" wheel version in a 26" wheel will also give about 26 mph, but if the controller uses wheel-speed to change gear, it might not work correctly. It's a shame that you can't program the changeover parameters.

I think the best chance would be with the 20" motor in a 26" wheel, but I couldn't say whether the gear changing would work correctly. They've done away with the manual gear selection switch on the latest version, so I'm not sure whether you can force it into low gear when you want. I think I read that the new controllers chang gear on the basis of wheel speed alone.

Reactions: cwah

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I tried the 36v Xiongda kit at 12S, which increased it's speed to 24 mph on the road. I guess you need a 48v controller to go to 13S and another 2 mph. A 20" wheel version in a 26" wheel will also give about 26 mph, but if the controller uses wheel-speed to change gear, it might not work correctly. It's a shame that you can't program the changeover parameters.

I think the best chance would be with the 20" motor in a 26" wheel, but I couldn't say whether the gear changing would work correctly. They've done away with the manual gear selection switch on the latest version, so I'm not sure whether you can force it into low gear when you want. I think I read that the new controllers chang gear on the basis of wheel speed alone.
where can one purchase the kit (it's not on BMS battery and i find alibaba somehow worrying)?

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
Do you think this new motor is diffrent inside D8veh,other than the windings?
I have 2 48v 15a motors with KT controllers (48v 15 a) They pull close to 700w max.The motor in low is about the same climbing torque as my 500w 48v 20 amp bbs 02 with a 46 front and 34 casette.both motors have no load speed at 30kmh and 18 kmh(low gear).I like the climbing power but it is slow,normally about 8-12 kmh.But the motor get hot,one of them was fried afte only a week.the other one often get an 03 error and shut down when it is hot.and after a while the motor is ok .The motors high gear is about the same power as my neo cross when motor is cold.but after 5-10 min when the motor is warm(not hot) it losses a LOT of power.maybe 30 prosent and I find the xiongda lacks power between 12-18 kmh.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
where can one purchase the kit (it's not on BMS battery and i find alibaba somehow worrying)?
Buy it direct from Xiongda,send epost to:
bonnie@xiongdamotor.com.cn

They dont have paypal,I used bank transfer.

You can trust Bonnie,she is very nice and honest.Best I have ever delt with from China.You should have no worries.If you buy the motor laced in a wheel,you have to tighthen the spokes a bit yourself.I am no expert,but I had no problem doing it.And also ask them to laser mark the motor 250w 48v if you want it legal.

D

Deleted member 4366

It is slightly different inside to the original one. I think I heard that they strengthened the axle and they did something to reduce the noise. These motors are not very big so when they're in high gear, they can't match the midrange torque of the bigger Bafangs (BPM and CST). Their main advantage is that they can climb steep hills in the low gear. I never had any overheating of my 36v one even though I ran it with 33% higher current.

I've just been out for a 20 mile ride on my new one. It has slightly more torque than the old one in low gear, but maybe a bit less in high gear. It doesn't seem to give so much power with the throttle as the old one in high gear, but that might be just an illusion because it's so smooth. The most power I saw on the meter was about 600w and it didn't increase when I opened the throttle. In level 3, which I used the most, it was showing 200w to 250w and the throttle made no difference, so there must be some sort of current control in the controller.

I found out that you can force the motor into low gear at any time, by going up a level from 5.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
Seems like we have diffrent motorwindings,top speed on my motor with fully charged battery is about 27 kmh.The motor draw close to 600w in pas.I soldered the shunt,but no change.But with throttle it draws about 700w.I agree with you it is fantastic little motor