XiongDa Two-Speed Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, steel forks are perfect for light weight conversions.

nabidana

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
Bike sourced, wheel being checked, battery arrived, all splendid stuff. Don't particularly want a throttle, but am a bit concerned about brakes - is there a particular brand of cut-off brake I should be considering?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you'll need at least one cable operated brake. V-brakes are OK but I'd suggest you replace the front brakes with hydraulic brakes, V-brakes to the rear.

D

Deleted member 4366

Does your bike have cable brakes. If so, you don't need to change the levers. You can get/make a cable sensor instead. If it has hydraulic brakes, it's a bit more tricky.

Why don't you show us what you've got, then we can advise.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
don't worry too much about the levers. There are plenty of suppliers for brake handles.
In case you want to use hydraulic brakes, Woosh can 3D print the fitment to your existing handles and prepare the sensor cables with the microswitch for you.
All you need to do is to learn to use the free Autodesk 123D Design, design your sensor housing, upload your design to thingiverse.com - Woosh can then download your design, add the cable and microswitch to your design, 3D print it and make up your sensor lead. Over time, we should have GPL ready made designs for all popular hydraulic brakes.
This is one I designed for the Shimano M395:
BR-M-395.jpg

Last edited:

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I have tested my new 48volt 250w xiongda kit 26" wheeel.No load speed (wheel of the ground,full throttle). no load Max speed in high gear 31.6 kmh,low gear 18 kmh.Motor is vey strong when climbing.It feels the same as my shunted 720w tonaro bighit.
The 48v xiongda has a 15 amp KT controller,but it only pulls max 650w.I shunted the controller but it did not change anything.Why is that? is it another way to inrease the current to about 900w?
On throttle alone on the flat it goes about 25-27 kmh

skoleskibe

Just Joined
Jul 29, 2015
Any news on the 500w motor?
Any one in here knowing if the motors for eg 20" is geared different than for a 26" wheel, or is the motor af a different kV?

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I wonder if bafang would be willing to do this with the 500w motors too
I dont think so beacause you can not buy directly from bafang.I had 2 bafang cst motors.One 250 and one 500w.I swapped them around and got a 500w motor inside the 250 marked housing

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I dont think so beacause you can not buy directly from bafang.I had 2 bafang cst motors.One 250 and one 500w.I swapped them around and got a 500w motor inside the 250 marked housing
That's right I forgot. I actually emailed them to ask if they could please consider labelling more powerful motors as 250w for their wholesalers, for the sake of customers like myself.

RobB

Just Joined
Sep 14, 2008
I went out for a ride yesterday and noticed that the motor was getting more noisy. It's done 100 miles so far. The resonance noise was originally only at low speed in low gear, but was now happening in both gears at at higher speeds, though it was still virtually silent when cruising in high gear. It started to annoy me, so I decided to open the motor and find out what was causing it.

The black grease had hardened to a waxy substance, so I got my tub of gear grease and applied copious amounts. After reassembly, no more noise. - just that nice sophisticated motor hum in both gears.

Now going out to chase a few lycros. It'll be a lot more fun now. There was no kidding them before.
Hi d8veh thanks for your posts on the Xiongda. It encouraged me to get one. V happy I did. It has though after about 200 miles developed a vibrating noise particularly above 3 setting, not loud but don't think it was there originally. I wonder if it is a problem with the grease. Am reasonably competent at mechanics so wonder if I should dismantle it and check.
Rob

D

Deleted member 4366

After 3000 miles, the noise came back again. I kept thinking about regreasing it, but never got around to it, so it's been like that for another 1000 miles. I don't think it's in any way harmful, but it's so much better when the noise isn't there. If you can, it's probably a good idea to put some fresh grease all around the clutches and the outer sun gear. A new motor is much easier to open than an old one.

Old Bloke

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 19, 2015
d8veh, has the problem with not being able to push backwards been solved? Is it a problem with the clutches not releasing properly that could be solved by using a lighter grease or an oil?

The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a kit for my wife's recumbent trike. She has some difficulties with stamina and strength and needs some relatively slow speed (8-12km/h) help with hills. The XiongDa sounded ideal but for the pushing backwards issue. If not the XiongDa, is there another motor you would recommend?