Yamaha or Bosch and Haibike or Cube

SSSS

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 6, 2016
Hello from Finland

Sorry about my English skill. Here in Finland ebikes is still very rare biketype and that is why I ask advice from you.

I am thinking about change cyclocross bike to mtb ebike. We just had GoExpo event where I had a chance to test ebike. Reason for switching is that I cycle year round to work and also leisure biking. Especially in winter time when here could be +5 cm snow over road it is not so enjoyable bike to work with traditionell cyclocross bike. My traveldistance to work is about 12 km and in summertime I sometimes also bike 30-80 km long leisureride on tarmac and gravelroad. I might for example go to national park to do some trail ride.

Big question is Yamaha or Bosch and also Yamahas 400Wh battery versus Bosch 500Wh battery? Most of the sales Emtb bike here are with either Yamaha or Bosch mid-motor. I have not chance to compare those motor or battery IRL. Maybe here are some people who has tested both set. Is there significant difference range with same assist level, which one is easier cycle if run out of epower? The Haibike that I had a chance to test indoor was with Yamaha motor and I was amazed about the immediately assist power.

I am interested in Haibike Sduro Hardnine RC (Yamaha, 2115 GBP) or Xduro Hardnine RC (Bosch and 2334 GBP). Bikes have some differences: Sduro has 400Wh battery, 20 speed and Rock Shox XC32 fork comparing to Xduro's 500Wh battery, 10 speed and Rock Shox Recon Silver Air fork.

Other interesting brand is Cube. There I have been thinking about Cube - Reaction Hybrid HPA Pro 500 -2016 with SR Suntour XCR32 LO-R fork (about 1 896 GBP) or Cube - Reaction Hybrid HPA Race 500 -2016 with Rock Shox Recon Silver TK Air fork (2334 GBP). They both are bosch powered and with 500Wh battery.

Thank you.

SSSS

Mar 6, 2016
Thank you for the links. 1 one is little outdated as there is older Bosch system but maybe the difference isn't so much. On the 2. site I have to use google translate, but I think it was ok translated. It was also very interesting comparing and from there I find other reviews also.

Does someone of you have experience battery capacity under temperature minus 15 Celcius degrees.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Thank you for the links. 1 one is little outdated as there is older Bosch system but maybe the difference isn't so much. On the 2. site I have to use google translate, but I think it was ok translated. It was also very interesting comparing and from there I find other reviews also.

Does someone of you have experience battery capacity under temperature minus 15 Celcius degrees.
Testing indicates that the Yamaha battery should be better at lower temperatures. However, at -15c any lithium battery would struggle to give performance that was not compromised at that temperature. At that temperature I would not leave the battery outside, unused, for any great lengths of time either.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I agree, that temperature is well outside the recommended use and storage temperatures for Li-Ion. For use you will need a battery cover. Range will be up to -30%.

WorldClassAccident

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2016
I have just bought a Scott eGenius 720 Plus. Latest Bosch CX motor and 500Wh battery.

Very impressed so far. Have you considered the 650B Plus tyres? They are quite a bit fatter/wider than normal mountain bike tyres. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing in snow but they seem to float over English mud where the narrower tyres sink in and slow down.

The Bosch vs Yamaha seems to be not very different but at the moment Bosch seem better for engaging the drive.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Haven't we got someone from Finland who has a fat bike?

He posted photos showing how he preferred it in the snow, I wish I could remember his name.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Haven't we got someone from Finland who has a fat bike?

He posted photos showing how he preferred it in the snow, I wish I could remember his name.
See this post from Marlon in Finland. He includes a fatbike tyred photo.

We have some other Finnish members but I can't remember them by name offhand.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
See this post from Marlon in Finland. He includes a fatbike tyred photo.

We have some other Finnish members but I can't remember them by name offhand.
Not the one I had in mind, assuming my mind isn't making things up.
Hopefully someone may post something helpful for him.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013

Did you see this one also?
I have the cube reaction HPA 500 Bosch Cx and it is stronger and faster than yamaha

http://www.pedelec-biker.com/2015/12/bosch-brose-yamaha-im-direkten_23.html#more

SSSS

Mar 6, 2016
I agree, that temperature is well outside the recommended use and storage temperatures for Li-Ion. For use you will need a battery cover. Range will be up to -30%.
Thank you all for your advices.

I do also storage battery inside (both home and work) but bike have to stay outside. Its good to know that range decreases about 30%, it is still more than 35 km (56 mile). I think also that neoprene cover is must have.

Fatbikes are not so interesting because here in southern Finland snowy time is about 3 months. I have also mediocre managed to ride my cyclocross in winter time with 35mm (1 3/8in) wide spiketyres.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

SSSS

Mar 6, 2016
Thank you for the links about Fatbike. I read those also.

I still think that 29er might be best choice for me to allround bike. Commuting between home and work on tarmac road and leisure time spending time driving through gravel trails/road. For the wintertime need some wider spiketyres and summertime something basic mtb tyres that work ok both tarmac and gravel.

Next week I have a chance to testdrive Cube Reaction Hybrid 20" Race (or Pro, not sure which one it si). Looking forward that.

Reactions: Emo Rider