Yet another cycle to work help request... Short steep commutes & occasional longer country rides

Martsky

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 21, 2017
Sheffield
Hi there, another ebike newbie in need of advice here! My budget is basically the standard £1000 cycle to work one, plus a bit if needed, but with the ability to upgrade parts if needed from time to time if I feel the need.

I'm 5'11", about 14 stone and 43, and currently not too fit, although I walk about an hour a day. I live in Sheffield, which is entirely made of hills, and I live at the top of one of them. There’s currently a massive resurfacing project going on city wide which is converting pothole covered hellroads into billiard tables, but it’s a year from finishing...

Also, I’m a bit of a scaredy cat generally with bikes on roads, it’s been a long time, and I’ve not really felt comfortable on a bike since I had a BMX in the 80s! Maneuverability appeals to me...

90% of my use will be commuting and short distances, 2-3 miles each way, with laptop and associated stuff, uphill all the way back.

However, to complicate things, the other 10% is likely to be out into the Peak District, with a camera, lenses and tripod. All the kit can be carried in a rucksack if needed, but I'm guessing strapping it to the bike is preferable for weight distribution. Some of this will be off road, mostly on paths, bridleways etc. 10-30 mile round trips, which I can probably plan a recharging break in a pub in if I have to :)

As far as I can tell, Woosh bikes seem to give you the best bang for your buck and have a good reputation round these parts, even if they seem a little slow replying to emails requesting sample contracts ;)

My shortlist is currently the Rio, Bali or Zephyr B. The Bali seems the most practical and best for climbing road hills, but going down them on a heavy bike I like the hydraulic brakes on the other 2. And I prefer the more sporty look, but that’s not a deal breaker. I don’t really need a folder, but it could well come in handy for occasional car boot or train use if I’m not compromising elsewhere.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or any alternatives I should be looking at? I do like the roodog bikes, but their batteries seem a little small, same with the Kudos’s.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi there, another ebike newbie in need of advice here! My budget is basically the standard £1000 cycle to work one, plus a bit if needed, but with the ability to upgrade parts if needed from time to time if I feel the need.

I'm 5'11", about 14 stone and 43, and currently not too fit, although I walk about an hour a day. I live in Sheffield, which is entirely made of hills, and I live at the top of one of them. There’s currently a massive resurfacing project going on city wide which is converting pothole covered hellroads into billiard tables, but it’s a year from finishing...

Also, I’m a bit of a scaredy cat generally with bikes on roads, it’s been a long time, and I’ve not really felt comfortable on a bike since I had a BMX in the 80s! Maneuverability appeals to me...

90% of my use will be commuting and short distances, 2-3 miles each way, with laptop and associated stuff, uphill all the way back.

However, to complicate things, the other 10% is likely to be out into the Peak District, with a camera, lenses and tripod. All the kit can be carried in a rucksack if needed, but I'm guessing strapping it to the bike is preferable for weight distribution. Some of this will be off road, mostly on paths, bridleways etc. 10-30 mile round trips, which I can probably plan a recharging break in a pub in if I have to :)

As far as I can tell, Woosh bikes seem to give you the best bang for your buck and have a good reputation round these parts, even if they seem a little slow replying to emails requesting sample contracts ;)

My shortlist is currently the Rio, Bali or Zephyr B. The Bali seems the most practical and best for climbing road hills, but going down them on a heavy bike I like the hydraulic brakes on the other 2. And I prefer the more sporty look, but that’s not a deal breaker. I don’t really need a folder, but it could well come in handy for occasional car boot or train use if I’m not compromising elsewhere.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or any alternatives I should be looking at? I do like the roodog bikes, but their batteries seem a little small, same with the Kudos’s.
.... Get a pannier or panniers rather than a rucksack. Let the bike carry the weight not your back. Others will probably discuss actual bikes with you.

Reactions: Martsky

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A mountain bike makes no sense for a road/cycle path commute when there's luggage to be carried and weather to be guarded against.

Rack and mudguards can be retrofitted, but factory fit is usually neater.

The woosh Bali is the most suitable bike on your shortlist.

Cable discs, in particular Avid, aren't up to much, but you could upgrade it to a Shimano hydraulic which would have the benefit of slowing the bike when you pull the lever.

• Agree
Reactions: Martsky and flecc

Martsky

Apr 21, 2017
Sheffield
A mountain bike makes no sense for a road/cycle path commute when there's luggage to be carried and weather to be guarded against.

Rack and mudguards can be retrofitted, but factory fit is usually neater.

The woosh Bali is the most suitable bike on your shortlist.

Cable discs, in particular Avid, aren't up to much, but you could upgrade it to a Shimano hydraulic which would have the benefit of slowing the bike when you pull the lever.
The Bali is the one my head says go for :)

I am very much in favour of the bike stopping on request though, I suspect that might be an essential upgrade, and possibly one I'd prefer to pay someone to do. Does anyone know how tricky it is?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Bali is the one my head says go for :)

I am very much in favour of the bike stopping on request though, I suspect that might be an essential upgrade, and possibly one I'd prefer to pay someone to do. Does anyone know how tricky it is?
One of the easier upgrades.

The Shimano brakes come pre-bled, so it's really only two bolts to undo/do up for the calliper and one or two for the handlebar lever clamp.

Centre the calliper by squeezing the brake with the bolts still loose, and all should be well.

D

Deleted member 4366

Woosh bikes are good. Check out Kudos too. For commuting, I prefer a hub-motor. For action cycling, a crank drive is better - generally. A hard-tail is better for carrying stuff than a bike with rear suspension.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe Woosh would,do it for you at an agreed price.
we usually charge a token £5 for fitting accessories when you order accessories with the bike (Ergon grips, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres etc). Fitting front hydraulic brakes is easy but you will have different looking left and right brake levers.
If you want hydraulic brakes, the Rio and Zephyr have them already fitted. We can fit a rear rack for you on those two.

Martsky

Apr 21, 2017
Sheffield
we usually charge a token £5 for fitting accessories when you order accessories with the bike (Ergon grips, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres etc). Fitting front hydraulic brakes is easy but you will have different looking left and right brake levers.
If you want hydraulic brakes, the Rio and Zephyr have them already fitted. We can fit a rear rack for you on those two.
That's good to know, thank you. Together with @d8veh's excellent advice I'm tending towards the Rio now! And the Ergon grips look great as I've got RSI - how much would it be for a Rio with a decent rear rack and Ergon grips?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

Martsky

Apr 21, 2017
Sheffield
you can buy them later. It's very easy to fit. Just loosen the allen bolt, slide out the old grips, slide in the new grips.

Ergon grips:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ergon-gp1-handlebar-grips/

Pannier racks are also easy to fit, large selection on ebay. Example:
http://www.tredz.co.uk/bike-rear-bike-racks/pgn/2

Most of them can be mounted using adapters.
You can also order on the net and get the parts delivered to us, we'll install them for you.
Ah, I see, cheers. May as well do that myself. Is it just the standard GP1s not the gripshift ones for the Rio? (And is the Rio still arriving 8th May?)

Also, and more generally. There's a million pannier racks out there, can anyone recommend one before I disappear down yet another rabbit hole of obsessive research while I should be working? reasonable sturdy, black, sub £30 ideally?

D

Deleted member 4366

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That one is too high and relatively expensive it's for a bike with disc brake and no front fixings. Ideally, you want one that's as close to the wheel or mudguard that you can get. I'd wait until you've got your bike to see which fixings are provided, if any.
The Rio hasnt got any mounting points, and apart from a mega expensive thule one, I couldnt find any more clip on ones

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
The Rio hasnt got any mounting points, and apart from a mega expensive thule one, I couldnt find any more clip on ones
I have this on my Stealth at the moment...not the nicest looking thing, but does the job nicely. Standard bike rack with a plywood board screwed to it and a point to hang the rear light on

IMG_20170422_204343.jpg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That one is too high and relatively expensive it's for a bike with disc brake and no front fixings. Ideally, you want one that's as close to the wheel or mudguard that you can get. I'd wait until you've got your bike to see which fixings are provided, if any.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ah, right... I thought you said in a previous thread it didnt have any mounts for racks....or do you mean none at the top end?
top of seat stays as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes