Yorkshire Cycle Expo 12th to 14th October 2018

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Absolutely of no use to me! I am looking at Mudguards, Lights and Comfort, not Mountains, Mud and Dongles
Anyway.. You having your finger on the ebike pulse.. I was considering the Rohloff e-14 but have been also looking at the Nuvinci 380 but am concerned it might not be suitable for 25% gradients. I cant find any understandable reference to compare gear ratios.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no idea never looked at them much but id rather have the gears in the motor and a 1 gear belt drive ;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The range of the NuVinci hub is 380% - that's why it's called a 380.

Far inferior to the Rohloff which has a range of more than 500%.

Of course, the Rohloff is a grand and the NuVinci a couple of hundred, so you get what you pay for.

I think you are right to be concerned about a NuVinci bike on 25% gradients.

Much will depend on rider input, so you really won't know unless you try it.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The range of the NuVinci hub is 380% - that's why it's called a 380.

Far inferior to the Rohloff which has a range of more than 500%.

Of course, the Rohloff is a grand and the NuVinci a couple of hundred, so you get what you pay for.

I think you are right to be concerned about a NuVinci bike on 25% gradients.

Much will depend on rider input, so you really won't know unless you try it.
Unfortunately none of the bike shops around me have one to "try". My problem is that I can't visualize 380% as an actual comparison on the road with my 11-42/17 Bosch set up. I am assured that the Rohlof compares well but as you say is a tad more expensive, and Rohlof equipped bikes tend to have better components to boot, so the cost jumps up considerably.
My current purchase was a mistake as it is totally the wrong bike for me so want to make sure I get it right this time, even if it costs more..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The 380% is the spread of gears, so how low and how high the extremes are is governed by the size of the sprockets.

You could reduce the low gear by either putting a bigger sprocket on the back or a smaller ring on the front.

In turn, that will reduce all the others including top.

Seems to me most hub gear ebikes lack a crawler first gear, and top gear is higher than most of us need, not least because it's well into unassisted speed territory.

My Rohloff R&M Charger - as geared by the factory - is about right for me, although a slightly lower bottom gear might be better, and I rarely use 14th.

I reckon the reduced range of a NuVinci would frustrate me in some situations.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That's really informative, thankyou!
I have three bikes in mind the new charger, new charger mixte and the supercharger to have either rohloff or nuvinci with the gates belt so won't have many sprocket options. All have the 1000w battery option so are heavy and I am surrounded by hills. The mixte apears to have frame size limitations on current information so leaning toward the new charger or supercharger.
All new RM rohlof bikes are now supplied with the e-14 which has pushed the prices up a bit so don't want to buy the wrong one. I was sort of set on the supercharger/rohlof until a member asked about the nuvinci on another thread which prompted an investigation and i found that surprisingly I like the idea..
To try one the nearest dealer is 50 miles away but I am a full time carer and can't easily be away from home for so long.
Your real world experience is making my choice so much easier.
Thanks..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm not massively into gadgets, but electronic shifting on a Rohloff may have one or two things to commend it.

Standard shift is twist grip, which is not my favourite.

It also uses two cables, which has advantages, but electronic would obviate the need for two gear cables running the length of the bike.

The change itself is also a bit clunky, bearing in mind the hub was designed to be a bombproof daily use component, not a precision engineered lightweight racing one.

The story is Mr Rohloff was one of the first mountain bikers in that he liked to hack his bike over rough terrain.

He got fed up of fixing and fettling derailers, so designed a hub that would take almost any punishment.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Video shows the shifting as almost seamless. The hub is connected to the motor electronics and it cuts power for thw change.
It looks like the Charger and the Mixte have had a big upgrade whilst the supercharger has remained the same. I am definately getting one soon and really like the Supercharger, but am wondering if I can swallow the 6K pricetag.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Unfortunately none of the bike shops around me have one to "try". My problem is that I can't visualize 380% as an actual comparison on the road with my 11-42/17 Bosch set up. I am assured that the Rohlof compares well but as you say is a tad more expensive, and Rohlof equipped bikes tend to have better components to boot, so the cost jumps up considerably.
My current purchase was a mistake as it is totally the wrong bike for me so want to make sure I get it right this time, even if it costs more..
It's nearly exactly the same spread as you already have at 381.8%