You know you're having a bad day when.....

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
..... you stupidly break your new chain too short and end up ordering another one :oops:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Try this...

1. ) Measure the distance between the rear wheel scewer and the center of your cranks. Round off to nearest 1/8 inch. Take that value and double it.
2.) Divide the count of the number of teeth on the large chain ring by 4.
3.) Divide the count of the number of teeth on the biggest cog on your cassette by 4.
4. Add the values from steps 1+2+3 and add 1 inch more to the total.

That's the length in inches that your road bike chain should be.

• Informative
Reactions: topographer

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I used the number of the links in the old chain for the length of the new one. In my haste, I miscounted and marked the breakage point in the wrong place.

I'll pay more attention on the next one lol.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You could have successfully rejoined the chain, then separated it at another point.

D

Deleted member 4366

Use the chain-breaker to put the rivet back in. I do that all the time. I never use joining links. When you break a chain, never push the rivet all the way out. Push it just far enough to clear the inner link. That makes it easier to push it back in.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm kinda finicky about stuff like this, so I'd rather use a new chain.

Crazy...... Yes I am :D

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
..done exactly the same thing...well not exactly..i bought a chain that was too short...blah..blah ...lesson learned....changing a chain aint cut an dried...not for me anyway.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I've just changed from 42t to 46t rear cassette so old chain length was no use. Before starting take a photo of derailluer angle when in lowest gear and highest gears old cassette) before starting. Also see Youtube videos.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Use the chain-breaker to put the rivet back in. I do that all the time. I never use joining links. When you break a chain, never push the rivet all the way out. Push it just far enough to clear the inner link. That makes it easier to push it back in.
It's really fun trying to align a rivet which has come all the way out. .. much easier to just give up and add on a few links from another chain and then substract if necessary.
Chain breakers are cheap, and work very well .10 euro . provided you don't let a rivet escape... Practice on the old chain first.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's really fun trying to align a rivet which has come all the way out. .. much easier to just give up and add on a few links from another chain and then substract if necessary.
Chain breakers are cheap, and work very well .10 euro . provided you don't let a rivet escape... Practice on the old chain first.
If you push the rivet all the way out, you can use one of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-standard-spare-chain-pins/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5300010654&kpid=5300010654&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sy76aWlwL_dc|pcrid|67090789502|pkw||pmt||prd|5300010654uk

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
You take the front wheel out of your folder and lean it on the rear bumper while you load the Folder into the Estate...close the lid...hop in the driving seat and reverse over the wheel. What's even worse that the bike isn't mine I was just repairing it for a friend....sigh...£80 for a new one.

• :D
Reactions: Fordulike

Advertisers