you tube just shat on every small channel

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
YouTube Partner Programme overview
We'll be making updates to the YouTube Partner Programme eligibility thresholds starting 20 February 2018. Channels will need to have 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months and 1,000 subscribers to be reviewed to join the programme. Get more details on the YouTube Creator Blog.
The YouTube Partner Programme (YPP) lets creators monetise their content on YouTube. Creators can earn money from advertisements served on their videos and from YouTube Red subscribers watching their content. You can apply to join the YouTube Partner Programme from your account in Creator Studio.

Access to end screens & cards
Note that your channel currently needs to be in the YouTube Partner Programme in order to access certain features, such as end screens and cards that link to associated websites, crowdfunding or merchandise sites. Channels do not have to monetise any videos as part of this requirement. This helps us evaluate the validity of the channel, as well as determine whether the channel is following our Community Guidelines.

When YPP eligibility requirements are updated in February 2018, channels that currently have access to these features will continue to have access even if they're no longer in the YouTube Partner Programme. We'll share updates here if the eligibility criteria changes.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72851?hl=en-GB

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
My youtube account has generated around £700 help for heroes, over the past 5 years, with around 640,000 views. It's not a lot over that timeframe. But it made me feel motivated to make videos and to be helping out in some small way.. and now they've killed that contribution in favour of the big viral video earners. I wonder how many other small contributors will lose out in this way. It's probably legion! :mad:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I guess there's a huge number of smaller partners costing an unduly high proportion of the running, so it's a business decision on economic and administrative grounds.

Of course it's unwelcome, but just because the internet is free we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that these web sites are businesses and not charities.

It's a gamble on YouTube's part, since it opens the door to opposition providing for those losing this service.

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Good for you mr ping....this world makes me puke...bring on a 10 mile asteroid...I have a guidance location system that will automatically target my bonce...lbs won,t update it though..twats.

• :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My youtube account has generated around £700 help for heroes, over the past 5 years, with around 640,000 views. It's not a lot over that timeframe. But it made me feel motivated to make videos and to be helping out in some small way.. and now they've killed that contribution in favour of the big viral video earners. I wonder how many other small contributors will lose out in this way. It's probably legion! :mad:
i never even got to the point where i even got anything ad sense wise but lots of channels now even with 1000s of subscribers dont meet the new 4000hr of play time in 12 months.

that is 240.000 mins of watch time and now the add revenue comes from watch time rather than views cant now be a hobby and get some return for the effort over time.

you dont even get paid unless you reach 100 bucks but the changes are more down to copyright vids being posted for click bate then adpocalypse then that twat posted vid of a dead body and the advertisers pulled a lot of cash so something had to give as cant let kids see that stuff but then there is live leak just search logan paul.

you can close the add sense account i think and get paid out what ever is in there if under the 100 bucks pay out limit.

• Informative

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Are you saying Google is giving all small youtubers a battered sausage? Anyway, Google crapping on people is not news. Google not crapping on people would be news.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Are you saying Google is giving all small youtubers a battered sausage? Anyway, Google crapping on people is not news. Google not crapping on people would be news.
well i for one wont be putting effort in to making new vids to meet the new terms as it has taken years just to get it where it is now and at the rate im going would see a return in about ten years and if they want 4000hrs of vids every 12 months then fall below this number say 1 year you get nothing so working for nothing and it is not like it is cheap to buy the equipment needed like 4k video cams then video software and computers to edit it on just makes it not worth it if just starting out as it is not a hobby anymore.

this is the email they sent everyone.

sound wave,
Today we are announcing changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). While our goal remains to keep the YPP open to as many channels as possible, we recognise that we need more safeguards in place to protect creator revenue across the YouTube ecosystem.

sound wave,
Today we are announcing changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). While our goal remains to keep the YPP open to as many channels as possible, we recognise that we need more safeguards in place to protect creator revenue across the YouTube ecosystem.
LEARN MORE
What's Changing
Under the new eligibility requirements announced today, your YouTube channel, sound wave, is no longer eligible for monetisation because it does not meet the new threshold of 4,000 hours of watch time within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. As a result, your channel will lose access to all monetisation tools and features associated with the YouTube Partner Program on 20 February 2018 unless you surpass this threshold in the next 30 days. Accordingly, this email serves as 30 days notice that your YouTube Partner Program terms are terminated.
One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel. Creators who haven’t yet reached this new threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Centreand all the resources on the Creator Site to grow their channels. Once your channel reaches the new threshold, it will be reviewed to make sure it adheres to our policies and guidelines, and if so, monetisation will be re-enabled.

from the you tube blog.
Additional Changes to the YouTube Partner Program (YPP) to Better Protect Creators
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
2017 marked a tough year for many of you, with several issues affecting our community and the revenue earned from advertising through the YouTube Partner Program (YPP). Despite those issues more creators than ever are earning a living on YouTube, with the number of channels making over six figures up over 40% year-over-year. In 2018, a major focus for everyone at YouTube is protecting our creator ecosystem and ensuring your revenue is more stable.

As Susan mentioned in December, we’re making changes to address the issues that affected our community in 2017 so we can prevent bad actors from harming the inspiring and original creators around the world who make their living on YouTube. A big part of that effort will be strengthening our requirements for monetization so spammers, impersonators, and other bad actors can’t hurt our ecosystem or take advantage of you, while continuing to reward those who make our platform great.

Back in April of 2017, we set a YPP eligibility requirement of 10,000 lifetime views. While that threshold provided more information to determine whether a channel followed our community guidelines and policies, it’s been clear over the last few months that we need a higher standard.

Starting today we’re changing the eligibility requirement for monetization to 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. We’ve arrived at these new thresholds after thorough analysis and conversations with creators like you. They will allow us to significantly improve our ability to identify creators who contribute positively to the community and help drive more ad revenue to them (and away from bad actors). These higher standards will also help us prevent potentially inappropriate videos from monetizing which can hurt revenue for everyone.

On February 20th, 2018, we’ll also implement this threshold across existing channels on the platform, to allow for a 30 day grace period. On that date, channels with fewer than 1,000 subs or 4,000 watch hours will no longer be able to earn money on YouTube. When they reach 1,000 subs and 4,000 watch hours they will be automatically re-evaluated under strict criteria to ensure they comply with our policies. New channels will need to apply, and their application will be evaluated when they hit these milestones.

Though these changes will affect a significant number of channels, 99% of those affected were making less than $100 per year in the last year, with 90% earning less than $2.50 in the last month. Any of the channels who no longer meet this threshold will be paid what they’ve already earned based on our AdSense policies. After thoughtful consideration, we believe these are necessary compromises to protect our community.

Of course, size alone is not enough to determine whether a channel is suitable for monetization, so we’ll continue to use signals like community strikes, spam, and other abuse flags to ensure we’re protecting our creator community from bad actors. As we continue to protect our platform from abuse, we want to remind all of you to follow YouTube’s Community Guidelines, Monetization Basics & Policies, Terms of Service, and Google AdSense program policies, as violating any of these may lead to removal from the YouTube Partner Program.

While this change will tackle the potential abuse of a large but disparate group of smaller channels, we also know that the bad action of a single, large channel can also have an impact on the community and how advertisers view YouTube. We'll be working to schedule conversations with our creators in the months ahead so we can hear your thoughts and ideas and what more we can do to tackle that challenge.

One of YouTube’s core values is to provide anyone the opportunity to earn money from a thriving channel, and while our policies will evolve over time, our commitment to that value remains. Those of you who want more details around this change, or haven’t yet reached this new 4,000 hour/1,000 subscriber threshold can continue to benefit from our Creator Academy, our Help Center, and all the resources on the Creator Site to grow your channels.

Even though 2017 was a challenging year, thanks to creators like you, it was full of the moments that make YouTube such a special place. Creators large and small, established and emerging, transformed their talent and originality into videos that captivated over a billion people around the world. They made us laugh, taught us about our world and warmed our hearts. We’re confident the steps we’re taking today will help protect and grow our inspiring community well into the future.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Earning money from advertising will now be the premise of professional youtube viral video creators.

Creating sometimes useful, informative videos, such as this one below, are pointless being made now.

If I'd have hired a woman to ride this in her bikini it would have gone viral. Ah well.. maybe next time. :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
If I'd have hired a woman to ride this in her bikini it would have gone viral. Ah well.. maybe next time. :D

it wont as it is not family friendly content so will get flagged imo get this even if you meet the new rules if ur content is not as above they can just say no anyway, bad actor lol.

what gets me is the ppl that brake the rules and makes 10 mill a year can do it and get away with it and every one else pays the price.

some ppl even have 10.000 subscribers yet cant meet the 4000hr rule in 12 months.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't understand what's changed. Why do people want to try and make money from their bike videos?

On my channel, I have 3,000 subscribers, and on my most popular video, which is 84 minutes long, I have 170,000 views, so that 4,000 hours watching time looks pretty lame. I've never wanted or expected any payment. I just do it for fun. As long as they keep this free hosting service, I'll be happy. Is that going to change in any way?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I don't understand what's changed. Why do people want to try and make money from their bike videos?

On my channel, I have 3,000 subscribers, and on my most popular video, which is 84 minutes long, I have 170,000 views, so that 4,000 hours watching time looks pretty lame. I've never wanted or expected any payment. I just do it for fun. As long as they keep this free hosting service, I'll be happy. Is that going to change in any way?
As @flecc said. They're a business. I suppose that anything's possible. :rolleyes:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Now I understand why the OP peppers threads on here with irrelevant videos - made by him.

If the new rules stop that it will be a bonus.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you need 4000hrs of watch time every 12 months so unless you keep posting vids like 1 a day you wont get the watch time needed in 12 months.

i also dont think you will be able to post vids more than 10 mins long with out ypp and you will lose thumb nails and a few other things as well as it must cost them a fortune in server fees.

• Agree

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire

I suppose if it had started at the beginning with accounts generating more in advertising income than they cost to serve being allowed a share and others not, people may have understood. I think inviting everyone in, then kicking some out later after a 'value' judgement probably feels like an insult. Just human nature.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

The way I read it is the only change they're making is that they're going to stop paying the guys that don't get enough watches. I don't see anything about closing accounts for casual users. Am I right?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The way I read it is the only change they're making is that they're going to stop paying the guys that don't get enough watches. I don't see anything about closing accounts for casual users. Am I right?
They haven't closed any accounts for casual users just yet. What I can't understand is the need to have 1000 subscribers, or the need to have 4000 watch hours as there's no threshold for adverts being aired. I only have 290 subscribers. But still a lot of 'air time' that has clearly made something.

To that end, why would they want casual youtubers in the future?

Ad revenue.jpg Minutes.jpg Realtime views.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What I can't understand is the need to have 1000 subscribers, or the need to have 4000 watch hours as there's no threshold for adverts being aired.
No doubt it's to cut the administrative costs of very large numbers of small reward accounts.

But frankly I don't see any cause for complaint. When YouTube started they were providing a free platform for us to upload our private videos, using advertising to finance it. I saw that as a benefit to internet users.

When I first found out they were paying heavy users as well I could hardly believe it, being given something free and then getting paid to use it heavily. Taxi's often carry adverts and I'd love a free local taxi service, even better if the taxi driver paid me at my destination if I used the service enough.

So in what way are YouTube giving a poor service? All I see for internet users is a win-win situation, a handy and efficient free platform for our private videos. Whether they make money from ads or how much that amounts to is their business and nothing to do with me.

• Informative

Advertisers