Z4 Electric Bike Opinions & General Advice

barrjamy

Just Joined
Jun 6, 2015
Hi everyone

I am considering investing in an electric bike and have found one that I think looks pretty interesting, however cannot find any reviews of the bike or information on the manufacturer Zippy Bikes. Which sets of alarm bells.

Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? I have included the link below:

http://www.scootercity.co.uk/electric-bikes/z4-21-speed-folding-electric-mountain-bike-26-black.html?gclid=CM6Jloj9-sUCFWjMtAodyRoAMw

I currently drive into work, but would like to cycle instead. So I am looking for a relatively cheap bike that will be able to withstand a mostly, but not completley flat 14mile round trip to work each day, could fit in the back of my car and looks ok. A mountain bike style preferably. Basically I want it all for as cheap as possible!

I am not too concerned if the bike doesn't last forever or isn't top of the range, as I would probably be willing to upgrade in the future if I get into the habit of cycling. So this will be very much a starter bike for me. Though being vain, I would like somthing I like the look of.

Bearing all that in mind, any comments on the Z4 or alternative suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you like it, buy it, but my advice would be not to.

Less than ideal bike for commuting.

Woosh make something similar which I've tried.

Their bike has the BPM motor, which is quiet and powerful.

The rest of the bike is not so clever.

In particular, the fold is a waste of time.

The folded package is more unwieldy than the unfolded bike, although I suppose you could just about hump it into the back of a hatchback, give or take the occasional scraped shin or car bumper.

Why do you want a folder?

If it's occasional carriage in a car, taking the front wheel out of a rigid bike would be easier.

Alternatively, a smaller wheeled folder, usually 20".

Still a lump, but the folded package is easier to lift in and out of a car.

A 20" bike on balloon tyres is surprisingly comfortable, so it would be fine for seven miles each way.

As a commuter, you will inevitably want mudguards and a carrier, the latter is not so easy to fit on a full sus bike.

Have a look at the woosh and Kudos websites.

Of the cheaper brands, they are as good as any, and both companies offer back up.

Many online retailers do not, although I cannot comment on the service you may or may not receive from the retailer of the bike in your link.

D

Deleted member 4366

I agree with everything Rob says. There's lots of similar bikes to that one with different levels of quality that you can find on Ebay. I've seen some where the suspension coildn't work and others with cheap control systems. If you need a folding one, the Woosh is a lot more powerful and fully guaranteed. If it's the price that you find attractive, have a look at E-bikesdirect - also fully guaranteed and supported:

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Green_Edge/Greenedge_CS2__Electric_Mountain_Bike.aspx

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
I agree with everything Rob says. There's lots of similar bikes to that one with different levels of quality that you can find on Ebay. I've seen some where the suspension coildn't work and others with cheap control systems. If you need a folding one, the Woosh is a lot more powerful and fully guaranteed. If it's the price that you find attractive, have a look at E-bikesdirect - also fully guaranteed and supported:

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Green_Edge/Greenedge_CS2__Electric_Mountain_Bike.aspx
Woosh does one that looks very similar

barrjamy

Just Joined
Jun 6, 2015
Hi

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice so far. Good points made about the usefulness of the folding aspect of the bike, and I agree that it would be better getting a bike from a known supplier who offers guarantees, even if it means spending a bit more. As even though the bike linked is only £650, which I can see is cheap for an e-bike, it is still a good chunk of change to spend and find out it was a bad buy.

I have been doing a bit of research since my last post. Well a lot in fact, I tend to get quite obsessed when I get an idea in my head such as this, and can see that these cheaper bikes are all chinese imports. Which is not necessarily a bad thing as I sure most of what I buy is made there. However I guessing that can mean there is varying quality all the same.

I have been looking at the Woosh bikes and like the look of the Krieger. The only concern I have is that it is a chain drive. Can you coast using just the throttle on these types of motors and not peddle? The other option is the Big Bear, but the name does suggest that it is a bit big and combersome. Any opinions on the two?

Thanks again

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Can you coast using just the throttle on these types of motors and not peddle?
You can rest your legs when using the throttle on the Krieger, the pedals stay still.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Both the Big Bear and the Krieger can be used on throttle only.

But I suspect you may find progress underwhelming, depending how much you weigh.

No legal ebike is a moped, even gentle pedalling makes a big difference.

Even if you are not very fit, you should be able to pedal for seven flattish miles.

The Big Bear is a standard sized bike, so should fit provided you are not very short.

Are you a bit handy with bike maintenance or spanners in general?

Woosh bikes are excellent value, but they are still budget Chinese so may require some fettling.

The Krieger is a new model, but lots of people on here have bought Bears and there have been very few reports of problems.

D

Deleted member 4366

Fixing an electric bike is not difficult if you know how. On the cheaper ones, all, the parts are available and don't cost very much. If you have the willingness and capability to sort things out, or if you want to make it a learning experience, you can get any one you want.

In case you don't know, a bike is not like a TV. You don't buy it and then it works every day for the next five years. There's adjustments and other maintenance issues that have to be done. They're easy, when you know how, but they can't be ignored. If you have no tools or capability, that will be a problem that you have to solve.

Reactions: Cyclezee and trex