Zip Skyline ACF10

Bluebeard06

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2016
Lewes
I have one of these e-bikes which is barely used. Between trying it last year and now this year it has stopped working, As an electronics engineer I tried measuring the voltage with the battery unplugged which shows as 25v (The battery display shows as 1 x green & 1 x red lights). I have tried removing the cover over the controller and everything looks intact ie everything is plugged in and no wires are damaged but the handlebar display still shows nothing. Any ideas???
Bluebeard06

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
This is a 24V bike, as shown here... It should be reading more than 25 Volts fully charged, and if you haven't used that battery for a while then the fault may well be with that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mw1
D

Deleted member 4366

They have brushed motors. Twist the motor sprocket round a bit to clear any corrosion or contamination of the commutator.

Did you confirm that the battery voltage is actually reaching the controller?

Do the lights on the throttle come on?

Bluebeard06

Sep 5, 2016
Lewes
They have brushed motors. Twist the motor sprocket round a bit to clear any corrosion or contamination of the commutator.

Did you confirm that the battery voltage is actually reaching the controller?

Do the lights on the throttle come on?
HI. Since reading the replies I have tried plugging in the charger and (after a little while) trying things again. 1st to say is a 24v battery so I didn't think 25v seemed to bad but then I don't know the characteristics of lithium batteries (like a fully charge 12v lead acid battery is 13.8v). Anyway with the charger on (and showing green as fully charged) the indicator panel on the battery itself shows 1 x red and 2 x green leds which agrees with the fully charged condition. I have measured the same 25v on the plug going into the electronics block but the handlebar control panel still shows zilch and consequently I don't think that playing with the motor itself is going to help. Any other ideas?
Cheers

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a brushed motor, so you can put the battery voltage directly to it for testing.

If you show a picture of the controller and all its connectors, we can probably help you out.

• Agree
Reactions: mw1

Bluebeard06

Sep 5, 2016
Lewes
Thanks 4 yr thoughts. It wouldn't surprise me if connecting the motor directly to the battery did work but I can hardly use the bike where a single on/off switch gives me all or nothing..!! As an electronic engineer I can identify all the connectors ok (and they all look tight). Have tried plugging and unplugging each one... Don't see how the problem can be other than the electronic block or the handlebar control panel. Understand that Zip is no longer in UK. Can any other control block be used??

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Hi, yes any suitable controller will work. This is what I just fitted to an Izip mountain trailz :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291677828487

You need to pay attention to the Amp rating of the original& replacement.

Edit : Just thought - You will need to find one with appropriate connections for your LED.

It's worth connecting a battery directly to the motor 1st though, to eliminate this as the source of the problem, but disconnect the motor from the controller beforehand.

Regards, Mark

Last edited:

Bluebeard06

Sep 5, 2016
Lewes
Hi Mark. I don't think the motor should be at fault as surely the control panel should light up regardless?? (And doesn't). This particular Zip model doesn't have a throttle it is purely pedal assist. The control panel allows 3 levels of assist to be chosen and shows 5 levels of battery power (when it's working that is!!!). Do you think the controller you used would be compatible with that or does it expect a different setup?
Cheers, Roger

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Do you think the controller you used would be compatible with that or does it expect a different setup?
No. When looking at controllers you need to look at the Item description & find one that has all the wires you need for what equipment your bike has.

Mark

Bluebeard06

Sep 5, 2016
Lewes
Hi Mark. 1st the handlebar display/control does not light up at all. The battery measures 25v (or better) at the terminals and the battery display works ok and shows full battery. All connectors appear sound and no wires are damaged. Although 5 years old it has only been used about 6 times for 1/2hr. 2nd am looking at controllers on Ebay. Is a hall effect sensor the one to sense the pedals are being used??
Cheers, Roger

mw1

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2014
Hull, E.Yorks
Hang fire on ordering a controller just yet, you need to ascertain how far the current from the battery is actually getting.
You can use your multimeter to measure connectors for any readings.
As far as controllers go, you need one for a Brush / Brushed motor, but there are other tests you can do before you spend your money.

Mark

Bluebeard06

Sep 5, 2016
Lewes
The connectors are filled on the back side with a potting substance so difficult to measure when connected. I have measured the battery voltage on the connector going into the controller (and checked fuse anyway..). There are two thick wires to battery and another 2 thick wires to motor. There are 5 thin wires to handlebar display/control. 2 lots of 2 wires to brakes. 2 thin wires to pedal crank and about another 3 thin wires to the motor. I can measure about 9v to the handlebar controller. I don't know whether brakes and pedal crank sensors are, say, as simple as a reed switch & magnet or some electronic device.

Advertisers