My Bike Rides along the North Wales Coast Part 15

Published by Llandudno Wisperer in the blog Llandudno Wisperer's blog. Views: 476

Penrhyn Bay to Abergwyngregyn and then onto Menai Bridge
15th July 2017 and 12th October(to Menai) Cont'd
Part 5 Tan-y-lon to Porth Penrhyn

© John Robert Cook 2017

I then dropped down onto the main road, crossing the railway and the AfonOgwen. Opposite these railings was a Route 5 sign pointing right. I went through a metal gate, under a bridge and up a steep path to Llandygai. Before going through the gate with my bike, I checked that there was a cycle route beyond it.

Picture58.jpg
Picture59.jpg
And yes, beyond the gate... Picture60.jpg

The steep path led to the village, coming out by the primary school.

Picture61.jpg
Cycle Route 5 was clearly marked.

I cycled passed the entrance to Penrhyn Castle.
Picture62.jpg

After crossing the main road by Penrhyn Castle and following the Route 5 signs, I cycled down this lane.
Picture63.jpg

This field looked familiar. I had walked across it two months earlier, whilst walking the Wales Coast Path, which, unlike National Cycle Route 5 in this area, was not well signposted. The castle like construction is an air vent for the railway tunnel. Picture64.jpg

The AfonCegin. From here I turned left onto the path that followed the disused railway down to Porth Penrhyn. Picture65.jpg

The cycle route followed the course of the old slate railway, linking Penrhyn Quarries with the port. This used to be one of the busiest ports in Wales. Picture67.jpg Picture68.jpg

The end of the path at Porth Penrhyn. This path goes all the way Felin-hen and then to Tregarth. Looking at my OS Map App, the cycle path continues to the Ogwen Valley. It is a route I intend to cycle in 2018.

© John Robert Cook 2017
You need to be logged in to comment
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice