Color
Background color
Background image
Border Color
Font Type
Font Size
  1. February 1st 2018. Went out for my first long ride on my new bike in Cyprus. 25 miles, from our village, Anarita, down to the coast and then along the front and coastal path to the Tomb of the Kings and back.
    Lovely going downhill to the coast but could have done with my electric bike for the last part of the route back, a climb of 450 feet from Timi to Anarita. Wish I could have afforded the extra for an electric bike, as I really missed my Wisper for the climb home.
    It was 18c, over 10 degrees warmer than my last ride in the UK.
    P1000533.jpg
    P1000536.jpg

February 22nd. Back in the UK. Temperature between 4c and 6c,

Did the same ride from Penrhyn Bay to Bethesda, along Route 5 and Route 82, but rode as far as Penrhyn Quarry and Zip World. 33 miles at an average speed of 9mph. First signs of Spring, snowdrops at their best and daffodils just starting to bloom.
    P1000622.JPG
    P1000623.JPG
    P1000631.JPG

A really enjoyable ride on a crisp, cold winters day. I stopped off at the Aber Falls Hotel for afternoon tea, delicious, and very reasonable priced.

February 25th. A cold and frosty winters day. Rode from Penrhyn Bay to Pensarn along the coastal path. Patches of ice on the track. Cafe at Pensarn now open. Sat inside where it was warm and had a latte and cake.

March 13th. Did the same ride again but now much warmer. By the end of the prom I did not need my gloves or hat. Have now done 800 miles on my Wisper.
    Monty's Dad likes this.
  2. 14th January 2018 National Cycle Route 5, between West Shore, Llandudno and Deganwy. Luckily I was walking as I would not have liked to pushed my bike over these sand drifts. I ended up walking on the beach. At the beginning of this route, there was no sign that it was blocked.
    Picture9.jpg

Picture10.jpg

Went out today, January 2nd 2018, on my old Powerbyke. Only a short ride, to Rainbow Bridge and back, 10 miles. The wind dropped on the way back and I used hardly any power. However, my new Wisper is much faster both with and without power.

Picture1.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Thursday 4th January and Friday 5th January, rode to Rhyl but not back as it was too windy.

On the Thursday, Rosemary picked me up with the bike rack. It was blowing a gale and I averaged 12 mph without using any power. Had to lay the bike on the ground whilst we fitted the bike rack, it was so windy.

On the Friday, I rode again to Rhyl. Rosemary again picked me up, but instead of just a coffee at the Harbour Hub Café we had lunch. Chicken breast, bacon and bq sauce in a roll and a lovely side salad. Will definitely eat there again.

Saturday 6th January 2018, just a short ride to Rainbow Bridge. Waves coming over the promenade and very few people about. I was served at the back door of the kiosk. A lovely hot latte on a cold and windy January day.
    Picture6.jpg Picture7.jpg

Friday 26th January. My first long ride of the year.
    I cycled against the wind, from Penrhyn Bay, along the back road to Glanwydden and then through to Llandudno Junction, Conwy, Aber, Penrhyn Castle following Route 5 and then onto Route 82, Lon Las Ogwen.

Picture1.jpg
    My Wisper at Conwy. Much quieter than the same photo taken in the school summer holidays.

I stopped at the Aber Falls Cafe for a latte and cream tea. The cafe on the prom at Penmaenmawr was shut for the winter.

Picture2.jpg

Instead of taking Route 5, down to PorthPenrhyn, I took Route 82, towards Bethesda. Picture3.jpg

It was a very good tarmac path to Bethesda. There was one very short road section before turning left, back onto Lon Las Ogwen. At Bethesda I turned round and made my way back along Route 82 and then Route 5 to Porth Penrhyn, where Rosemary picked me up with the bike rack.
    I look forward to cycling this route in the warmer weather and getting as far as Lyn Ogwen.
    Picture4.jpg

According to Strava, I had cycled 31 miles and climbed 1500 feet. I still had three bars of battery left.
    Gaz likes this.
  3. Late Autumn and Winter 2017

© John Robert Cook 2017

When we returned from Cyprus in the middle of November, I was determined to get out on my bike, even though the weather was colder. However, no marathon rides at this time of year. At the end of November, and the beginning of December, I cycled from Penrhyn Bay to the new bridge at Rhyl. Outside temperature was around 7c and fairly strong North West winds which meant I came back with power assist on 2 or 3. I even went out on my old Powerbyke. Even though I use minimum power, there is no way I would be venturing out on a traditional bike in these cold, windy conditions.

My old Powerbyke. 13 years old now but with three new Panasonic batteries, as good as new.
    However, much heavier than my new Wisper and much harder to get on and off.

Picture81.jpg

2nd December 2017. St. Trillo’s Church and well, at Rhos on Sea, and my Wisper has covered 500 miles. Quite a coincidence that the odometer changed to 500 miles exactly at this point, as this had been one of my targets for walking when I was recovering from my operation.

Picture82.jpg Picture83.jpg

A cold and windy December day. 6c and a very gusty NW wind. I had to cycle along the top footpath as the waves were coming over the promenade. Picture84.jpg

Photos taken holding onto my bike in the strong wind. It was like being on a surf board riding along the path, as the waves were travelling at the same speed as me. Picture85.jpg
    I rode as far as Pensarn, 9 miles away.
    When I cycled back, against a very strong gale, I used various levels of power. On Power 1, I was in first gear, and managing between 4 and 6mph. Without any power it was nearly impossible to cycle, as the wind was so strong.

Power 2, first and second gear and between 5 and 8mph.

Power 3, second and third gear and between 6 and 10mph.

Power 4, third gear upwards, and 10mph upwards.

Finally, on maximum power, I was still managing 15mph, but, with such a strong wind, it was very uncomfortable riding at this speed.

A few days later, with a strong wind against me, around 20mph, I rode back on Power Level 2 and 3 and achieved speeds between 10 and 15mph, in 2nd gear upwards.
    This was the first time I had cycled back using power for the whole of the eight mile journey. The wind was blowing at me all the way back and I had two bars of power left when I arrived back, which flicked back to three bars after the bike had been parked up for a couple of minutes. The battery took two and a half hours to charge up, the longest recharge yet.

The next week was very cold and icy, but I ventured out, just riding the 3 miles to Colwyn Bay and back.

Temperature around zero and even the shallow sea water was frozen.
    Picture87.jpg
    Picture88.jpg

A very slow ride to Cayley Kiosk, after negotiating the ice and a welcome coffee. Then back to Penrhyn Bay. For the first time this winter, I felt cold on my bike.
    Picture89.jpg

The view overlooking Rhos Golf Club. I had ridden 6 miles in freezing conditions and just my hands were cold. Head, wooly hat under my helmet which covered my ears. Feet, two pairs of socks, second pair thicker wool and hiking trainers. Thick trousers, and four layers, M and S vest, tea shirt and sweatshirt, and hi vis cycling jacket. With a thinner pair of woollen gloves under my Asda gloves, my hands would have been OK. They actually got cold when I took off my gloves to take the first photos and did not get warm again.
    Picture90.jpg

December 22nd and I had completed 600 miles on my new bike. The usual café I go to at Pensarn is now shut for winter, but this café, at the far end of the prom, is still open. I have continued riding throughout December.
    Picture93.jpg

Before my bypass operation in January 2017, there would have been no way that I could have ridden as far and using as little power as I do now. I had not been out on my old Powerbyke for at least two years.

I have bought a non electric mountain bike in Cyprus and have ridden up some quite steep hills on it. Electric bike prices there were expensive and although I would have liked a pedelec, I could not justify buying one. However, one would be useful if only to outrun hunting dogs.

I will continue riding the coast path and try to find new, preferably off road routes. I would like to continue the National Cycle Route 5 to Holyhead.

I now want to walk the whole of the Anglesey Coast Path, having completed the Wales Coast Path from Chester to Bangor and then on to Beaumaris. I would then like to continue the Wales Coast Path and walk as far as Barmouth.

What amazes me is the number of people, especially retirees, who stop and talk to me when on my electric bike. So many are interested in getting back in the saddle. Many think the only electric bikes are g tech or the fold ups they have seen on shopping channels. If I go out on my old Powerbyke more people stop me, as visually it is an electric bike, more so than my Wisper.

For me, the advantage of having an electric bike here in the UK is that I go out on it in weather I would not go out in on a traditional bike. When I had a wind of 30 to 40mph blowing against me, and it was more or less impossible to pedal on zero power, I could ride with ease on Power 3 and still attain 15mph on maximum power, even though it was uncomfortable riding at this speed. I also can ride further distances knowing I will be able to get back home.

As the year draws to a close, I can only say how grateful I am for my health and how much I have enjoyed cycling over the past 8 months. If you ever know anyone who has to have a bypass operation, please show them this blog.
    Monty's Dad likes this.
  4. Penrhyn Bay to Abergwyngregyn and then onto Menai Bridge
    15th July 2017 and 12th October(to Menai) Cont'd
    Part 6 Porth Penrhyn to Menai Bridge
    © John Robert Cook 2017

PorthPenrhyn, once a busy port exporting slate from Penrhyn Quarry. From here I rode to Bangor Pier, almost all on cycle paths. Picture69.jpg

Bangor Pier. Just before the pier, on the corner is a wonderful real ale pub, the Tap and Spiel, very popular with students, that serves really good food. Picture70.jpg

From Bangor Pier, I cycled up Garth Hill, again on cycle path.
    Picture71.jpg

I followed the Garth Road, with the Menai Straits on the right.
    Picture72.jpg
    Picture73.jpg

Instead of going up to Ffridd Road and following the official Route 5, I carried on, passed Bangor City FC and the university’s Normal Site, to Menai Bridge. Picture74.jpg

The view of the Straits from Thomas Telford’s bridge. It was really windy so I walked across.
    Picture75.jpg

I had made it, on a very windy October’s day to Menai Bridge, Anglesey. I was really pleased with the way my Wisper had performed. I still had three bars of battery left.

Picture76.jpg
    According to my OS App, I had travelled 25.19 miles. My total elevation was 1779 feet, and the highest point was 266 feet above sea level.
    The week earlier, I had ridden from Penrhyn Bay to Chester in one day and then, with this ride I had ridden from Penrhyn Bay to Anglesey, so I had completed all the route in these two rides.

As well as cycling this route, during the summer I walked from Chester to Beaumaris on Anglesey, following the Wales Coast Path. Picture79.jpg Picture78.jpg
    © John Robert Cook 2017
  5. Penrhyn Bay to Abergwyngregyn and then onto Menai Bridge
    15th July 2017 and 12th October(to Menai) Cont'd
    Part 5 Tan-y-lon to Porth Penrhyn

© John Robert Cook 2017

I then dropped down onto the main road, crossing the railway and the AfonOgwen. Opposite these railings was a Route 5 sign pointing right. I went through a metal gate, under a bridge and up a steep path to Llandygai. Before going through the gate with my bike, I checked that there was a cycle route beyond it.

Picture58.jpg
    Picture59.jpg
    And yes, beyond the gate... Picture60.jpg

The steep path led to the village, coming out by the primary school.

Picture61.jpg
    Cycle Route 5 was clearly marked.

I cycled passed the entrance to Penrhyn Castle.
    Picture62.jpg

After crossing the main road by Penrhyn Castle and following the Route 5 signs, I cycled down this lane.
    Picture63.jpg

This field looked familiar. I had walked across it two months earlier, whilst walking the Wales Coast Path, which, unlike National Cycle Route 5 in this area, was not well signposted. The castle like construction is an air vent for the railway tunnel. Picture64.jpg

The AfonCegin. From here I turned left onto the path that followed the disused railway down to Porth Penrhyn. Picture65.jpg

The cycle route followed the course of the old slate railway, linking Penrhyn Quarries with the port. This used to be one of the busiest ports in Wales. Picture67.jpg Picture68.jpg

The end of the path at Porth Penrhyn. This path goes all the way Felin-hen and then to Tregarth. Looking at my OS Map App, the cycle path continues to the Ogwen Valley. It is a route I intend to cycle in 2018.

© John Robert Cook 2017
  6. Penrhyn Bay to Abergwyngregyn and then onto Menai Bridge
    15th July 2017 and 12th October(to Menai)
    Part 4 Abergwyngregyn to Tan-y-lon

© John Robert Cook 2017

A wide pavement and at least you are off the main road, but not really pleasant cycling. Picture45.jpg

Finally at Abergwyngregyn. A walk up to Aber Falls from here is a worthwhile diversion.
    Picture46.jpg
    Picture47.jpg

I had cycled 15.69 miles from Penrhyn Bay to Abergwyngregyn. My highest point was 291 feet.

According to my OS app, my total ascents were 606 feet.

In October I cycled the route again but carried on to Bangor and then to Menai Bridge.

Just out of the village, you join a narrow lane which takes you passed the Parish Church, St Bodfan’s. Picture48.jpg

Luckily, I met no other vehicles and no delivery vans for the whole of this section. About three miles down narrow lanes.
    Picture49.jpg

Looking over the Menai Straits to Anglesey.

Beaumaris and my first view of Penrhyn Castle. Picture52.jpg Picture53.jpg

After the narrow lanes I dropped down and crossed the A55. It was very windy and a few minutes earlier I had ridden through a downpour.
    Picture54.jpg

Back onto narrow lanes again. However, the route was well signposted.
    Picture55.jpg
    Picture57.jpg

© John Robert Cook 2017
  7. Penrhyn Bay to Abergwyngregyn and then onto Menai Bridge
    Part 3 Penmaenmawr to Abergwyngregyn

© John Robert Cook 2017

The café on the promenade at Penmaenmawr. Here I had a latte and it was proper coffee. One cyclist had a monster breakfast and it was huge. Unfortunately, this cafe is closed during the winter. The one at Rhyl Hub is open and does a roaring trade.
    Picture35.jpg

At the end of the promenade at Penmaenmawr and Route 5 takes you up, under the A55, to the top end of the village. Picture36.jpg

The top end of the village. From here you make your way along the quiet street to the A55, where you rejoin the cycle track which takes you over the road tunnel.
    Picture37.jpg

Here you can see the bridge that carries the Coast Path and Route 5 across the A55.
    Picture38.jpg

A view from the bridge. The Great Orme, Llandudno and Little Orme in the distance. Conwy Mountain and hidden behind the mountain, Conwy.
    Picture39.jpg

The cycle path and Coast Path. At one point, the path is directly over the new tunnel.
    Picture40.jpg

What used to be the A55 before the new road was built. This road takes you to Llanfairfechan. You carry straight on at the traffic lights.

However, a pleasant diversion is to turn right just after here, go down Shore Road, and turn left to go along the seafront.

At the end, you can make your way back to the centre of Llanfairfechan and turn right at the traffic lights.
    Picture41.jpg

The sea front at Llanfairfechan, which you will miss if you do not turn down Shore Road or turn right at the lights.
    Picture42.jpg

Again, what used to be the A55. From here, the cycle path drops down onto the A55, but you are allowed to ride along quite a wide pavement to Abergwyngregyn.
    Picture43.jpg Picture44.jpg

© John Robert Cook 2017
  8. Penrhyn Bay to Abergwyngregyn and then onto Menai Bridge
    15th July 2017 and 12th October(to Menai) Cont,d
    Part 2 Conwy to Penmaenmawr
    © John Robert Cook 2017

From the hustle and bustle of the quayside, a quiet path takes you along the river, passed the school and then you turn right for the Marina. Places here for a drink or meal.

The Route 5 signs take you up, away from the marina, through a car park and a path alongside a caravan site.

Picture24.jpg Picture25.jpg

The coastal path takes you over the sand dunes but Route 5 is more direct, taking you passed a caravan site. To the left, the mountains above Conwy.
    Picture26.jpg
    Picture27.jpg Picture28.jpg

A good tarmac path takes you alongside the A55. Picture29.jpg Picture30.jpg

Looking back to the Great Orme, which one of the cycle routes takes you round.
    Picture31.jpg

Picture32.jpg

Almost at Penmaenmawr Picture33.jpg

© John Robert Cook 2017
  9. Penrhyn Bay to Abergwyngregyn and then onto Menai Bridge
    Part 1 Penrhyn Bay to Conwy
    © John Robert Cook 2017

I set off from Penrhyn Bay, picking up National Cycle Route 5 at Glanwyddyn. A short ride along the main road and then left, into the village, following the route signs.
    National Cycle Route 5 is well signposted along the whole of this route.

National Cycle Route 5 splits in two just after the Golf Club at Rhos on Sea. Turn second left after the Golf Club and you follow this route, Carry straight on and you go to the roundabout at Penrhyn Bay, then up over the Little Orme, before coming to the prom at Llandudno. The route then takes you round the Great Orme.
    This route cuts out the Great Orme, and takes you direct through Llandudno Junction to Conwy. However, if you have cycled from Prestatyn, it is the first part that is fully on road, for a stretch of around 4 miles apart from the short piece of road cycling at Rhos on Sea.

After turning second left, off the promenade, passed the golf club, you are faced with the first bit of road.

First, quite a busy road and then, after you have turned left to Glanwydden, quiet country lanes. Picture13.jpg
    Picture14.jpg

This sign, opposite the Queen’s Head is difficult to spot.
    Picture15.jpg Picture16.jpg

Mostly local traffic who expect cyclists and horses. Beware delivery vans whose SatNavs seem to direct their drivers along this road as a shortcut. Picture17.jpg

The route takes you on quiet lanes, passed a small church and a vineyard. It then drops down Pabo Lane down to Llandudno Junction.

Picture18.jpg

The route through Llandudno Junction.There are two bike retailers directly on Cycle Route 5 in North Wales, this is one of them. I bought my Wisper 705SE from here. Picture19.jpg
    Picture20.jpg

After the busy road through Junction, you follow the Route 5 signs, passed Asda and Iceland and a lovely little café on the right, through to Conwy. From here it is almost all cycle track to Abergwyngregn.
    Picture21.jpg

This photo was taken in August, when I walked the route. From going passed the castle you drop down to the harbour and quayside. This is being utilised much more with events at weekends. Before Christmas there was a good Christmas Market here.
    Picture22.jpg

© John Robert Cook 2017
  10. Penrhyn Bay to Chester 5th October 2017 Cont'd
    © John Robert Cook 2017
    From the main road in Connah's Quay, passed the college, football stadium and school, then up a slight hill and halfway down, you turn left, down to Dock Road. We missed the turning when we were walking the Wales Coast Path, as we were walking on the right hand side of the road. It is signposted, by some new houses, and the road takes you under the railway bridge and onto the Dock Road.
    Picture1.jpg A view of the new bridge over the Dee.

Picture2.jpg
    The Dock Road at Connah’s Quay.

What I like to see. A signpost and a good path, which took me to Hawarden Bridge, where I crossed over the river.
    Picture3.jpg Picture4.jpg

Broughton is only a few miles away. The Beluga had just taken off. This aircraft carries airbus wings from Broughton. When we were walking the Wales Coast Path we saw the Airbus ship off Anglesey.

Picture5.jpg

The route takes you alongside the River Dee for around 7 miles in total. It is hard to believe ships used to come so far up the river. There are the remains of quays all the way along. This path, like so much of Route 5, forms part of the Wales Coast Path, even though it is not on the coast. It is the path you can see below when you cross the roadbridge at Queensferry. Picture6.jpg

A rainbow in the distance, but I had made it to England. Picture7.jpg

My bike, just before it crossed the border into England. Picture8.jpg Picture10.jpg

I had made it from Penrhyn Bay to Chester.
    I had done a total of 47 miles and my total climbs amounted to 1042 feet.
    Plus, still a full battery, which only took an hour to fully charge again.

If I did this ride again, I would use the inland Route 5 between Prestatyn and Flint. Route 5 is signposted along the coast at Prestatyn but the original route took you inland here.

I certainly would not cycle along the dual carriageway before Flint out of choice as there was not even a pavement.

© John Robert Cook 2017

11. Rhyl to Ffynnongroyw
    1st October 2017

© John Robert Cook 2017

From the colliery, I went under a railway bridge and then on to a gravel path which took me to the main road. I crossed this, then turned left into the village. Picture80.jpg
    The older people of the village are very proud of their heritage and the history of the colliery. When we walked the route we met a man who had been an apprentice electrician at the mine when he was a teenager. In one of the village pubs, The Farmer's Arms, there were newspaper articles displayed about the pit and the miner's strike.
    This village was the birthplace of the former Everton player, Roy Vernon.
    I cycled through the village and onto the main road before turning back and riding to Prestatyn where Rosemary picked me up. From Penrhyn Bay to Ffynnongroew was 26 miles, plus another 7 back to Prestatyn.

My total elevation was 524 feet. It was an enjoyable ride, although some was not on Route 5.

Penrhyn Bay to Chester
    5th October 2017
    A few days later, I decided, perhaps foolishly, to ride the full distance to Chester. I had ridden 32 miles before, but not as many as 47 miles. However, with the wind blowing me, a strong NW wind, I did not use any power for the full journey.

My first stop was the Harbour Hub at Rhyl, where I had a lovely latte. Picture81.jpg
    After Ffynnongroyw, it is nearly all road to Flint, with the exception of one or two very small sections that take you off the road. There are no signposts that take you down to the coast where, I know, there are routes suitable for cycling, such as Bettisfield.

Below, finally Flint and an off road section after cycling along a busy dual carriageway.
    Picture82.jpg
    After cycling on road from Ffynnongroyw, a very welcome off road section taking you down to the coast. Picture83.jpg

The footpath took me down to this stone circle by the industrial estate.
    Picture84.jpg
    A shame that the cycle route did not take you round this dock and on to Flint Castle. Instead you had to cycle through the industrial estate, and then go passed the castle on the road. Picture85.jpg

View of Flint Castle from the road. The cycle route then took you right, back on to the main road, whereas the Wales Coast path takes you passed the football ground, then along a promenade.
    Picture86.jpg

From Flint, again main road up to the new bridge, where you pick up a deserted road that used to serve local industry.

By October, even the scarecrows had been put in hibernation.
    Picture87.jpg Picture88.jpg

Cycle route 5 signs took me round this housing estate in Connah’s Quay. Unfortunately, I ended up going round in a complete circle. The Route 5 Signs seemed to disappear after being directed off the main road. The route should have come out back on the main road through Connah's Quay opposite the Dock Road. I would have been better following the main road.
    Picture90.jpg
  12. Rhyl to Ffynnongroyw
    1st October 2017

© John Robert Cook 2017

After coming out of the car park by Prestatyn Sailing Club and following the Route 5 signs you turn left at this junction. This takes you along a quiet estate road to the Golf Club.
    Picture69.jpg

The path then goes across Prestatyn Golf Course. I am sure this is a fairly new section of the route.
    Picture70.jpg

It follows a sand dune route to Presthaven Sands Caravan Park, which it crosses. Picture71.jpg

Picture72.jpg

A gravel path takes you across the sand dunes. Ponies were grazing to help the natural vegetation. A bit further on a boardwalk took you across a marshy part of the path.
    Picture73.jpg Picture74.jpg

Talacre, home of countless caravan sites.

October 1st and the café closes at 3:30pm.

At least the pub serves coffee, but no cakes. Picture75.jpg Picture76.jpg

You then cycle along the top of the dam, passed the gas pumping station to the Point of Ayr Colliery.

Point of Ayr was one of the last mines to be mechanised and pit ponies were used until 1968.

Picture77.jpg Picture78.jpg
  13. Rhyl to Ffynnongroyw
    1st October 2017

© John Robert Cook 2017

After crossing the bridge, turn left, following the Route 5 signs. Picture57.jpg
    Just by the new bridge are these sculptures of three icons from Rhyl. They are, a Rhyl footballer, Don Spendlove, who scored over 600 goals for the club in the 40s and 50s, former Rhyl Grammar School boy, Climate Scientist and Nobel Prize winner, Sir John Houghton and Mike Peters, lead singer of The Alarm, who founded the Rock and Roll Cancer Charity.
    Picture58.jpg

The promenade at Rhyl.
    Picture61.jpg
    Picture62.jpg
    The end of the promenade at Rhyl. It is still off road all the way to Prestatyn.

From this promenade, you then ride along the sea wall. Probably not very accessible in winter.
    Picture63.jpg
    The sea wall between Rhyl and Prestatyn.
    Picture64.jpg

The promenade at Prestatyn, with Snowdonia in the background.
    Picture65.jpg

Prestatyn Beach, with the Lancashire hills in the background.
    Picture66.jpg

This sculpture marks the start, or end, of the Offah’s Dyke path.
    Picture67.jpg

From the end of the path at Prestatyn, by the sailing club car park, the cycle track is signposted. You have to exit the car park and just follow the Route 5 signs. The old Route 5 took you inland here, but Denbighshire and Flintshire Councils appear to be trying to route Cycle Route 5 along the coast. However, this route falls down approaching Flint, as I ended up cycling along a dual carriageway. The inland route takes you on quieter roads. Picture68.jpg
  14. Rhyl to St Asaph
    23rd July 2017

© John Robert Cook 2017
    After crossing the bridge you turn right, cross the main road and make your way to the boating lake. From here you follow the path and the cycleway signs, onto a quiet road, across a railway line and then onto a footpath. Picture50.jpg Picture51.jpg
    Picture52.jpg

It is a good path to Rhuddlan, but with a few gates to open. Also, on one occasion I cycled it, a herd of cows had blocked the path. Picture53.jpg

One of the many gates on this route. Rhuddlan Castle in the background.
    Picture54.jpg

The bridge into Rhuddlan. Here the family and their luggage ended up in the river after crashing their motor bike in the On the Buses film.
    Picture55.jpg
    At Rhuddlan you cycle through a nature reserve. Then it is the dual carriageway to St Asaph, but with a cycle track alongside.
    I met Rosemary at The Plough in St Asaph. Even though it was around 8pm they were still serving Sunday dinner. I had the roast turkey and Rosemary the lamb. The veg was beautiful, with pickled red cabbage which we both enjoyed.

I was determined to go there for a meal, for Rosemary and Rachel had been there for Sunday lunch when I was in hospital, just before I was moved to Liverpool.

I had travelled 22.44 miles. My total ascent was 640 feet.

Attached Files:

15. Penrhyn Bay to St Asaph and Ffynnongroyw
    July and October 2017

© John Robert Cook 2017

The prom at Pensarn.
    Picture44.jpg

From Pensarn it is a good path to Kimnel Bay and then on to Rhyl.
    Picture45.jpg

Sea defences at Kimnel Bay. This area flooded very badly in 1990.
    Picture46.jpg

The new bridge at Rhyl. This means that you do not have to go on the road and cross the old blue bridge. Next to this is a lovely cafe which serves real coffee. There is also a bike shop which hires out cycles.

Picture47.jpg

Picture48.jpg

Route 5 clearly signposted.

Route 5 follows the coast. However, if you turn right after crossing the bridge, you can follow Route 84 to Rhuddlan and then St Asaph. Picture49.jpg
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice