Wisper 705 brake bleed adapter

vincent v

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2022
My brakes were completely dead, front and back. Maybe the many times I had to turn it upside down to fix something didn't help, but most likely due to 18months it spent behind boxes at the back of my shed after we moved house was the main reason.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My brakes were completely dead, front and back. Maybe the many times I had to turn it upside down to fix something didn't help, but most likely due to 18months it spent behind boxes at the back of my shed after we moved house was the main reason.
You just hold the bike in such a position that it's continuously uphill from the caliper to the brake reservoir and pump the lever a few times to restore the brake function.

vincent v

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2022
I tried that several times for quite a few minutes each time, I tapped and shook the cables - nothing!
The front brake is naturally directly below the lever, no high spots to trap bubbles. The back is more awkward. Even the 'simple' bleed (just a bowl on the lever bleed point) didn't work (I had a stand by then) , I had to inject from the caliper and it was full of bubbles.

Maybe Wisper keep the 705 cost down by not fitting self bleeding brakes: they are unbranded (unlike the derailleur and other parts) and Wisper actually have a video tutorial showing you how to bleed them.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I tried that several times for quite a few minutes each time, I tapped and shook the cables - nothing!
The front brake is naturally directly below the lever, no high spots to trap bubbles. The back is more awkward. Even the 'simple' bleed (just a bowl on the lever bleed point) didn't work (I had a stand by then) , I had to inject from the caliper and it was full of bubbles.

Maybe Wisper keep the 705 cost down by not fitting self bleeding brakes: they are unbranded (unlike the derailleur and other parts) and Wisper actually have a video tutorial showing you how to bleed them.
The only way that can happen is if you had a fluid leak or your reservoir wasn't filled properly. Self bleeding doesn7work if the fluid level is below the hole where it goes through to the piston. That can happen when the reservoir isn't filled enough and you have an extreme horizontal angle of the reservoir that you can get on some handlebars.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

There is no such thing as 'self bleeding brakes' its a complete fantasy.

Marshy will show you how. marshy is a professional bike mechanic with a manufacturer team and the bike mechanic for Greg Minnaar

'Pumping' the levers does not drive the air out, nor does it bring it to the master cylinder reservoir. To get the air out you must bleed them.

But according to 'someone' here Jason 'Marshy' Marsh is wrong, 4 time World cup DH champion Greg Minnaar is wrong, Team Santa Cruz is wrong, every professional bike team in the world along with their professional and certified mechanics are wrong, and only that 'someone' is right.

They've all been "Hoodwinked" you see :oops:

Brakes are really important,and its the only thing keeping you out a wheelchair or worse.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There is no such thing as 'self bleeding brakes' its a complete fantasy.

Marshy will show you how. marshy is a professional bike mechanic with a manufacturer team and the bike mechanic for Greg Minnaar

'Pumping' the levers does not drive the air out, nor does it bring it to the master cylinder reservoir. To get the air out you must bleed them.

But according to 'someone' here Jason 'Marshy' Marsh is wrong, 4 time World cup DH champion Greg Minnaar is wrong, Team Santa Cruz is wrong, every professional bike team in the world along with their professional and certified mechanics are wrong, and only that 'someone' is right.

They've all been "Hoodwinked" you see :oops:

Brakes are really important,and its the only thing keeping you out a wheelchair or worse.
You're starting to look a bit stupid. Do you think a world downhill champion uses the same type of brakes as a Wisper touring bike?

Also, a word like "sponsorship" might help you understand a bit more. The Shimano brake fluid is ridiculously expensive for what it is. They must make huge profits on it. And there's the £600 he got for his YouTube views.

Finally, you can see him doing the self-bleeding at around 6:30.

Actually, for whatever reason he was replacing the fluid, not bleeding his brakes. The self-bleeding at the end was to remove any air that got in while he was doing it.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Finally, you van see him doing the self-bleeding at around 6:30.
You mean the bit AFTER he's bled the brakes ?, flicking the lever ? As he says he's walking out the pads. I do that a lot, its called pumping up the brake.

Tell you what, show me a link to these so called self bleeding brakes so i can research them..
I've been servicing, stripping down and rebuilding brakes for decades and I've never once heard the term.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I watched the entire clip. He did a gravity fluid change, which was pretty messy and bled the brakes at the end by pulling the lever a couple of times to let the air out the same way I do.

The only thing that was different is that he had a fluid reservoir on top. But he would have achieved to same result without the reservoir.

So long as you don’t let the brake fluid drop too much when the air comes out you don’t need to use a reservoir.

I just top up with fluid using a syringe as the air comes out so the fluid doesn’t drop too low to let air back in. It’s only a tiny amount of fluid that needs to be syringed in to compensate for any bubbles that come out.

Oh and one other thing he did was let it sit for a while when he went to his van before pulling the lever to give any air a chance to rise up, which is also what I do.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
The bit at the end “flicking the brakes” was him doing the bleeding after he pumped up the pads. You can clearly see an air bubble pop out and then he was done.

You will also notice that he wound back the pistons so no air could get trapped in the caliper, so only the pipe would have bubbles and after a short while the bubbles start to rise in the brake pipe. Which is why he left it and walked off to find a new set of pads.

Last edited:

Advertisers