Kalkhoff Pro Connect 36 Month / 9000 Review

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Another twelve months of Pro Connect ownership have elapsed and so I have decided to do a three year / 9000 mile review. The bike has evolved since I purchased mine back in July 2008, but some aspects of the bike remain the same and so will still be relevant.

You can read my original 24 month review at the beginning of this thread.

Modifications / Accessories

All of the accessories listed in the original review are still relevant and are still providing excellent reliable service.

The Magura HS33 brakes, which I retro fitted, although very powerful, low maintenance and kind to the rims have been a slight disappointment. This is all to do with a lightly sticking slave cylinder which makes set-up and adjustment more difficult than it needs to be. They are still far superior to the Shimano Vee brakes and a very worthwhile upgrade.

Items in need of replacement

Pedals: The bearings collapsed inside one of the pedals at 7000 miles.

Strengths

General:

My bike has taken a fair amount of punishment and is used regularly (daily in the summer) for a 20 mile round trip commute. This involves over 1000 feet of climbing on each trip. The up-hill sections give the motor a good test and the strategically placed pedestrian crossings which default to red all the time test the brakes.

The bike is as solid as ever with no obvious component wear. It still feels taught and strong. Remarkably, the bikes paint and general finish has not degraded at all. It still looks like new, despite covering nearly 9000 miles.

The Panasonic drive is still as smooth and faultless as ever. It continues to soak up the miles in the cold, wet, heat, dust, mud and anything else you can subject it to. I think it might well be indestructible.

Gears:

The Alfine hub has experienced no problems at all. It can be slow to change or even stick when the temperature falls below -5 deg C, but apart from that it is superb and complements the robust zero maintenance Panasonic drive unit well. The gear ration range is perfect for my hilly area (42-9-18 set-up) allowing strong hill climbing ability combined with a good cruising speed on the level.

Drive:

I have had a set of sprockets and a new chain sitting in my garage for nearly a year. I purchased them ready to replace the drive chain when a part of it wore out. At nearly 9000 miles and three years, that day has yet to arrive. I am still using the original chain and sprockets which are working perfectly well.

Battery:

I have had to move this from being a weakness to a strength. The battery is 30 months old, the original having been replaced under warranty at 6 months. It has definitely lost capacity and it struggles to meet the 20 mile round trip in the depths of winter.

I ran it to cut out four weeks ago. The weather was warm and I had completed my 20 mile, 1000 foot of climbing, round trip commute. The bike continued for a further 5 miles giving me a total 25 mile range. I don’t think that this is too bad for a 30 month old 7500 mile battery.

I tend to use the bike in low assist mode nearly all of the time and the battery has ample capacity to complete the 20 mile commute when used like this. Recently, I achieved 48 miles before battery cut out, which again is very good for a 30 month old battery.

The reduction in battery capacity seems more noticeable / pronounced in the higher assist modes. In Low Mode, there is virtually no perceivable reduction in range from when the battery was new. In Normal Mode there is a definite reduction from new and in high mode a very pronounced reduction, but still very usable. I would estimate that the bike range at about 15 miles in high mode.

The above might have something to do with the battery’s internal resistance increasing rather than a loss of capacity. Since internal battery losses = IIR (I= current R = battery internal resistance). Double the current demand will = 4 x the losses due to internal battery resistance.

Overall, this bike continues to impress. I treat it as a work-horse / tool to get me to and from work, but the sheer robustness and reliability endears me to it more and more the longer that I own it. It’s become a reliable old friend, the sort that never lets you down and I am very fond of it.

Weaknesses:

None really. You will see a list of weaknesses on the original review which I wrote last year, but with a series of retro fit upgrades they are no longer applicable or worthy of mention. I think the newer Pro Connect incorporates most of these things, so it should be a well refined bike now.

Summary:

All that I wrote in the original summary still holds true. The Pro Connect is a solid reliable bike which is ideally suited to the rigours of daily use and all of the conditions that the British climate can throw at it.

50 Cycles, who are currently to sole supplier of this bike, are able to source all the spares that you are likely to need and have a convenient on-line ordering system for spare parts. 90% of the bits that you are likely to need can be obtained from any bike shop if you prefer.

I undertake all of my own maintenance, but there is no reason why any bike shop should not be able to support this type of bike. All of the electric bits are within a self contained module low down in the centre of the bike. No cable ties, no brake cut off switches, plugs, wires, or weather seals. Just one unit which is so reliable that you can forget about it. Everything else that sits around this ultra reliable module is standard push bike. Its dead simple. Ideal for a totally clueless novice or an experienced EBiker.

Unfortunately for 50 Cycles and the other bike suppliers, you won’t be selling me another EBike anytime soon. I’m very attached to my 2008 vintage Pro Connect. It does all that I ask of it, it looks like new and is built like an anvil.

Overall Rating:

Up from 7/10 to 8.5/10

Reactions: EddiePJ

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Unfortunately for 50 Cycles and the other bike suppliers, you won’t be selling me another EBike anytime soon. I’m very attached to my 2008 vintage Pro Connect. It does all that I ask of it, it looks like new and is built like an anvil.
You can't ask for much more than that from your bike! Nice review and Summary Tillson.

Regards,
Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many thanks for the review Tillson. I'd just replied with answers to two email inquirers about Kalkhoff models, and have now added to that by sending them links to your latest review.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Excellent review Tillson.

Although I've only covered less than 2000 miles, it very much sums up my 2009 S version also. The XT gears on mine are faultless and the whole bike reeks of quality and is a joy to ride.

I recently upgraded to the 18ah battery and with the increase in range, the bike is pretty near perfect.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Thankyou Tillson for your excellent review, its extremely helpful and reassuring to read a review like that after 3 years of solid use.
50cycles should be well pleased to read it as independant reviews like that are worth their weight in.....well......a complimentary service maybe ? :)

Lynda

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
One of the reasons why I bought my PCS, a well spec'd bike with a proven and reliable drive system, nothing better.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thankyou Tillson for your excellent review, its extremely helpful and reassuring to read a review like that after 3 years of solid use.
50cycles should be well pleased to read it as independant reviews like that are worth their weight in.....
The timing of when to write a bike review is a difficult thing to gauge. If you write it soon after taking delivery and if like me, it is your first ebike, you can be blinded by the novelty of electrical assistance. Too late, and things have moved on, your bike is obsolete and no one is interested.

There are plenty of early reviews on Pro Connects, which are very useful and I hope this and the 24 month review complement them. I'm always interested to hear how people are getting on with their particular bike a couple of years down the line, but for one reason or another these reviews seem to be a bit thin on the ground. There is still plenty of the 2008 model's DNA in the latest version, so hopefully this review is still relevant to people considering buying a 2011 model.

I hope that 50C are pleased to hear that one of their range is performing well after 3 years. They sometimes get a hard time, so it's only fair to promote the good aspect too. I have found them to be generally well meaning and keen to help the customer, but like any company, the occasional hiccup happens and things go wrong. And of course, we have 50C to thank for taking the commercial risk and bringing us the Pro Connect in the first place!

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
As a Pro Connect owner with only 1,000 miles on the clock this is a very welcome and encouraging review. Thanks.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Thanks Tilson. Been a while since I updated my spreadsheet! .. Have you got any photos?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Excellent review Tillson.

Although I've only covered less than 2000 miles, it very much sums up my 2009 S version also. The XT gears on mine are faultless and the whole bike reeks of quality and is a joy to ride.

I recently upgraded to the 18ah battery and with the increase in range, the bike is pretty near perfect.
WHen did you get yours Kenny? Whats your commute distance? Whats your route like? ... any photos?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
As a Pro Connect owner with only 1,000 miles on the clock this is a very welcome and encouraging review. Thanks.
Hi eclectic, how long have you had yours? Are you commuting? Whats your route like? Any photos? ...

Genesis750

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2010
had my mid 2009 PC for 6 months. still on original batt. 20tooth rear made big diff. commute 20ml each way (not every day!) with a best of 1hr 7min. thats working quite hard. today knees got v sore so i slowed and upped the assist to max. 1 hr 22. thats the attraction of the PC - you can take it easy and let the electrons do the work or enjoy like a normal pedal. great quality but the rear mech very sensitive to adjustment - and the brakes lack performance. oh and you can actually ride in the dark. it is a bit heavy to lift tho.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
had my mid 2009 PC for 6 months. still on original batt. 20tooth rear made big diff. commute 20ml each way (not every day!) with a best of 1hr 7min. thats working quite hard. today knees got v sore so i slowed and upped the assist to max. 1 hr 22. thats the attraction of the PC - you can take it easy and let the electrons do the work or enjoy like a normal pedal. great quality but the rear mech very sensitive to adjustment - and the brakes lack performance. oh and you can actually ride in the dark. it is a bit heavy to lift tho.
Thanks for the quick review G750 .... I wonder why your knees are sore? ,,, do you have knee problems? - not that I'm a doctor!... but perhaps there is something you can do about it ...

Genesis750

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks for the quick review G750 .... I wonder why your knees are sore? ,,, do you have knee problems? - not that I'm a doctor!... but perhaps there is something you can do about it ...
yes there is something i could do. travel back in time and loosen those ski bindings so when i crash i dont destroy both all four ligaments and one cartilage.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
yes there is something i could do. travel back in time and loosen those ski bindings so when i crash i dont destroy both all four ligaments and one cartilage.
:) ... I was going to suggest adjusting the height of your saddle! ...or getting some of those clip on shoes ...but none of those things are going to help I fear... I know lots of people who have done their knees skiing .. you have my condolences ...
I wonder what your knees would make of a recumbent? ...

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
It's great for owners who've done less miles to have Tillson out there as a gauge for how long our components will last, it will help me be less paranoid about my sprockets and battery :)

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
WHen did you get yours Kenny? Whats your commute distance? Whats your route like? ... any photos?
Hi Alan,
I was one of the first to order a PCS in November 2008. Spending so much money on a bike gave me the incentive to give up smoking to pay for it (still off it :))

The bike was delivered in June 2009 and I've been using it purely for pleasure rides ever since. Here in the West coast of Scotland there are loads of great routes and most of them can be quite hilly so the bike lets you enjoy the rides without killing yourself.

The only fault I've had is the headlight cable snapping where it enters the frame (the downside of having cables and wires routed neatly through the frame is that there not so easy to fix)
Like NRG, I bought this bike for the high quality spec and the tried and proven Panasonic drive and have not been disappointed.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Thanks Kenny. The bike and the route looks fantastic! ... Keep going.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
It is very, very satisfying to read this thread.

Kenny, I ride the same model and year every day - short rides (6 or 7 miles) to and from the shop and frequent longer rides into central London and back, as well as occasional rides out in the countryside towing a trailer. It's perfect for all of them - fast, robust, resilient - and I know that later versions, the 2010 and 2011, are even better, with LCD consoles, etc.

We're about to offer our small remaining stock of 2010 Pro Connect Sport with an 18Ah battery pack - they're in the largest 60cm size, so won't be suitable for everyone. They will however be priced well against the 2011 Pro Connect Sport (which is likely to sell out this month or even this week - only a few 50cm frames left now).

Last edited:

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi Scott & Tim,

Although I cycle most days on my unpowered xtracycle cargo bike (I'd be too nervous leaving the PCS outside my local tesco) the Kalkhoff is used purely for pleasure.

If I had more spare time I would have clocked up more than the 1700 miles or so that I've covered so far. In the two years I've owned the bike I've adjusted the derailleur once (cable stretch) and that's it.

The bike feels as good as the day I got it and has taken me places you just wouldn't go on a normal bike because it would be too arduous.
Having recently purchased a 18ah battery I'm planning some even longer rides and have just ordered a Burley Piccolo tag along for my youngest son which I think will be great with the electric bike.