Storck Raddar Multitask SE -V- BH Emotion Neo Xtrem. My personal experience.

Footloose

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2012
This is my first submission to the forum. I want to make this post to add to the information available to other potential buyers. I did as much research as possible about the bikes I considered buying but found the information to be limited. It is mostly repetition of the manufacturer’s blurb or promotional information from dealers. There is very little opinion and information from the end users themselves!

Firstly some background information. I am a doctor by trade but have an amateur interest in renewable energy and power conversion and storage. Following the recent end of a long term relationship, I decided to do more cycling and buy a new bike. I live in rural West Hampshire surrounded by dark lanes, byways and bridleways crossing the hills and valleys. A new friend introduced me to his 3 year old wisper 905se. The first e bike I had ever seen. I found it interesting but thought that the assistance made up for the increased weight of the bike but not much more. Power control is crude. The brakes are also not good enough! Then he showed me his brand new lifecycle mountainsport. It is too big for me but the available power was a revelation. It did not feel heavy and was actually fun to ride. I decided that a pedelec was the way for me to go.

I thought that the Storck Raddar may be the bike for me and made contact with my nearest Stockist, Emotion in Swindon. I have found the staff to be friendly, approachable and keen to find the best bike for me. I tried a KTM with crank drive and was impressed with the hill climbing and power control but the style was not what I wanted. My short list came down to the Storck Raddar multitask SE and BH Emotion Neo Xtrem. I will share my experience of these 2 bikes.

The Storck Raddar is sold heavily on build and component quality. I guess only time will tell if this justifies the £2.5K price tag. It looks and feels well made but all the wires are exposed on the frame. Large wheels and balloon tires make it look big even in the smallest 17in frame. The 250W rear hub motor is direct drive. No gears so it is genuinely silent. The power is very smooth and responsive with a torque sensor. There is one simple control for assistance on the handlebar which is continuously variable from low to high. This is linked to 3 rather crude LEDs to indicate battery power with a more conventional power meter on the 25V 10Ah battery pack. There is a rocker power switch on the handlebars but no other way to disable the electrics without removing the battery. Storck said that some users loosen the motor connector plug for this purpose! That does not sound like a good idea to me.

The Raddar system uses power regeneration for which there is no user control. When you stop pedalling, there is an immediate dragging sensation. It is not possible to keep up with other cyclists who are freewheeling without pedalling the Raddar. I found this frustrating and inconvenient. The ride and power is very smooth and refined but the big wheels make it difficult to manoeuvre through gateways and fence posts. On hill start and hill speed tests against the Neo and KTM, the Raddar lacks power and lags behind.

There is no speed indicator but it was very noticeable that the power suddenly cuts out when the other bikes said that we were at 15mph. The bike then slows to below 15mph and the power kicks in again. This is not pleasant. Hydraulic brakes are smooth and powerful.

The Neo Xtrem has a geared rear motor rated at 350W, limited to 250W for EU. It has more ‘real world’ torque than the Storck but this is at the expense of considerable noise which is noticeable at high power and speeds. A torque sensor controls the power but there is more of a ‘notchy’ feel compared to the Raddar system. The system is controlled from a very neat LCD panel on the handle bars which is back lit, and includes speedometer, battery condition, trip computer and regeneration indicator. The panel clips into place and when removed, disables the electrics and removes the temptation for people to fiddle! Assistance levels are None, Eco, Standard, Sport and Boost.

The battery is 36V, 9Ah and forms part of the frame shape. I think the overall design is sleek and attractive. This is a bike designed for off road use with smaller wheels, knobbly tires and just one 49cm frame size. Front suspension forks with lockout. The cables etc are hidden within the frame. It boasts regenerative braking which comes on with first pull on the brake leavers. A symbol appears on the LCD screen. I think this is a good system because it should slow the bike when the rider wants, and not otherwise. However, I do not think this system works! There is no sensation of slowing or braking and it does not sound as if the motor is being turned in order to generate any power! More info appreciated from anyone who knows more! The brakes are powerful hydraulic units.

The decision to buy the Neo Xtrem was easy for me. The bike feels light and manoeuvrable. It rides well over rough ground and pulls eagerly up steep, stony paths. At speed, motor power appears to fade gradually over 25km/h. You can hear it stop altogether when the speedo says 31km/h. My GPS said this was 20mph! This speed is easy to reach in sport mode with eco or standard mode enough for me at lower speeds. The first full battery charge lasted 27 miles which was mostly fast road work of at least 15mph in sport mode and some steep hill tracks and rutted paths. This is consistent with the published figures. I have purchased an inverter (300w modified sine wave £20 from Maplin) for in car charging and am planning several electric adventures already!

I am happy to answer questions and sorry for the long first post!

Mark, Hampshire UK

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks very much for your excellent detailed report on these two models Mark, there's certainly no need to apologise for your post length. You've made the contrast between the operation of the two models very clear, and your views on the Neo are commensurate with some other members who've tried it briefly.

Views on the Raddar have been variable. I've seen one post that it's nothing special but without any adverse comment, but in contrast many have been very impressed with the sophistication of it's operation, including a rival trade member. Clearly it's a model that must be tried by anyone thinking of it, to see what camp they fall into.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Footloose,what an amazing detailed review of these 2 bikes. It was a shame that you did not include the KTM crank drive in your review as it would have made an interesting comparison between the 2 hub drive bikes and the crank drive.You say that the style of the KTM did not suit you,could you please elaborate on that? Which KTM model did you test?
Dave
Kudoscycles

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks mark. I've also ridden both bikes and found very much the same thing. The Neo's noise should quiet down once the moter runs in a bit. The one I rode was fairly quiet, and I know from my experience with this motor that the noise does vary a bit from one to the next when new. I've said it before, but I don't think it's registering yet that the Neo sets a new standard for power in a hub-motored bike. It's a step change from anything else with a hub motor that you can buy in the UK and is legal. It was the same when I first rode a Bosch-motored bike 18 months ago. It also had a step change in power from what was around at the time. but when I mentioned it there was no reaction. Now you have the Panasonic Impulse, the Bosch and the Neo with similar power. The Panasonic is clunky compared with the Bosch, but the BPM2 in the Neo has the advantage of driving the wheel directly, so no rapid wear of gears and chains. My one has done 3000 miles and I think I've oiled the chain twice in that time and that's it.

I'm not sure about the regen in the Neo. I think it was discussed somewhere before and the conclusion was that it doesn't have it. My memory's a bit vague now. Maybe I asked the guy at Bristol, when I tried it. The motor has a clutch, so it's not possible to turn the motor with the brake on to do any regen. Maybe it's a control panel from another bike that does have it.

Footloose

Sep 3, 2012
Thanks for your comments folks.
I think the KTM was a Macina Race. I did not ride it enough to make many comments but it was never really on my short list as I was not keen on a crank drive. It was easy to ride and quite powerful but noise was intrusive.

BH Emotion's own website says that the Neo range has regenerative breaking and this is copied onto all dealer's blurb. All I know is that I do not believe that it works!

It would be nice if my Xtrem gets quieter with use. I look forward to using it enough to find out.

Mark

D

Deleted member 4366

Regarding the car charging. Be careful not to drain your car battery. 10aH at 36v is 30aH at 12v. When you add the charger and inverter inefficiencies, that could go up to 50aH. You shoouldn't drain a car battery past half way, so that means you need a good 100aH battery, or you need to run the engine for a few hours.

Footloose

Sep 3, 2012
Regarding the car charging. Be careful not to drain your car battery. 10aH at 36v is 30aH at 12v. When you add the charger and inverter inefficiencies, that could go up to 50aH. You shoouldn't drain a car battery past half way, so that means you need a good 100aH battery, or you need to run the engine for a few hours.
I quite agree. I plan to use the in car charger while going to/from a ride, and also with my low voltage domestic solar power system.
I tested the current being used by the inverter while charging my Neo battery. 10.5A @ 13V. (Battery was charging too.) So for 5 hours of charge, your estimate of 50Ah used is about right.
Efficience of the system, only about 50% !

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Just read your review of Neo v Storck. I am in exactly the same position; so much so that I am testing a KTM Macina next week before I make my final decision. Would appreciate feedback on your Neo now that you've had it for a while.
Tony

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Mark, very informative comparison and many thanks for your input here. The regen on BH must be bit of bull... because it has a geared motor so can't understand how this would work.

New BH Neo use the new Dapu motor whereas older ones had Bafang BPM. Do you know which motor had the one you tested?

Andrew

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Must confess never heard of unplugging the motor cable. Seems a strange thing to do , and for what reason.
As stated many times on here, the Storck is not for unfit pork pie eaters or offroaders.

D

Deleted member 4366

The regen on BH must be bit of bull... because it has a geared motor so can't understand how this would work.
I'll tell you how it works. When you operate the brake, the battery lights up a symbol on the display that says "regen". Brilliant! A masterpiece of modern engineering.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I'll tell you how it works. When you operate the brake, the battery lights up a symbol on the display that says "regen". Brilliant! A masterpiece of modern engineering.
Hi d8veh,

Some regen systems are operated via a button situated on the throttle. As far as i'm concerned that this is all RUBBISH! and misleading to all. Now,if you were to say that this button when depressed can help prevent your brake pads from diminishing rapidly,then i would say yes to this a masterpiece of modern engineering.

Mountainsport.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Footloose, you may have a 2013 model.

On the French pedelec forum (cyclurba.fr) a member reports that a couple of days ago he received an answer from BH to his query that he couldn't detect any regen on his Neo Cross. In their reply, BH said that regen has been abandoned on 2013 models. Apparently it offered only 2% more capacity which users found non-quantifiable (e.g. 71.4 km instead of 70 km). The system caused more problems than it solved. The new motors are less noisy and provide more autonomy. The controller is now less complex and less fragile.

According to other discussions, the advertising blurb that quoted regen was not removed when it should have been.

In general, comments about BH Neos are very positive.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
I've said it before, but I don't think it's registering yet that the Neo sets a new standard for power in a hub-motored bike. It's a step change from anything else with a hub motor that you can buy in the UK and is legal. ... the BPM2 in the Neo has the advantage of driving the wheel directly, so no rapid wear of gears and chains. My one has done 3000 miles and I think I've oiled the chain twice in that time and that's it.
If you were buying right now would you choose a Neo Cross or a KTM eRace?

D

Deleted member 4366

If you were buying right now would you choose a Neo Cross or a KTM eRace?
The one drawback of the Neo is the so far un-cracked speed limit. I've never ridden the KTM, so I can't say anything much about that one, but with a DD motor, it'll be even worse because you won't even be able to free-wheel much above 15 mph assuming UK speed limit. Also, hideously expensive spares.

I think that the Kudos Tornado or Ariba might be a good choice: The same power, but easily hackable speed limit.

Although it looks old-fashioned, if I didn't have a bike and I was looking for a good all-round one with good climbing power and range; good for shopping, commuting and touring, I'd choose the Ezee torque. It was one of the few that had a top gear high enough to still pedal at speed. It just felt very user-friendly. Shame about the looks. Luckily I don't care about looks.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Sorry about the constant requests for help but I'm afraid my knowledge is very limited.

The one drawback of the Neo is the so far un-cracked speed limit.
What does that mean please?

I've never ridden the KTM, so I can't say anything much about that one, but with a DD motor, it'll be even worse because you won't even be able to free-wheel much above 15 mph assuming UK speed limit. Also, hideously expensive spares.
DD = Direct drive?

Definitely not understanding this as I came down hill at Manifold at 39mph.