Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 400Wh

CyberCrime

Just Joined
Mar 16, 2013
As anyone got a Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 400Wh?
This will be my first ebike so want a bike that's built to last. As its made in Germany I guess the built quality is better than most. But I have not seen any reviews of this new bike.
I need a bike that can do 20+ miles and very high quality (don't want to replace it in a years time)
what do people think of the new Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 400Wh? is it worth the money or is there anything just as good out there?
I was looking at the Steven Triton 45 but can not find anywhere in the UK that has this bike.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I trust you realise that the Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 is illegal for cycle track usage,its an S class bike with illegal 350 watt motor and illegal 28 mph limit. You can register it for road use by SVA but that means it is effectively a moped needing a number plate,tax,insurance,helmet etc but most importantly( in my mind) you will never be able to use this bike on cycle tracks,promenades-imagine riding the recent Manifold Trail event and only be able to ride the road sections,what a shame,
There are many similar 250 watt Bosch powered bikes,the KTM Macina Bold is a possible at about £2000.00.
KudosDave

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you do decide to buy one and ride illegally, take the number plate mount off the back.

It's a dead giveaway and is bound to attract unwanted attention from the rozzers.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I notice that 50 cycles no longer make the clear statement that these Kalkhoff BS10 bikes have to be SVA registered,one of their testimonials even states that the customer has covered 600 kms and moved on from his Urban Mover bike because the Kalkhoff was not restricted at 15 mph,no mention of SVA.
I wonder how many customers buy these bikes and are not aware they are riding illegal bikes.
Has anyone on this forum got a BS10 and properly registered it?
Most of the rest of the industry are playing the game fair and selling bikes with legal 250 watt power,its so easy to improve performance with an extra 100 watts.
Time I think to make the West London police and trading standards aware of these illegal bikes and get something done about it-my first job when I get to work today.
KudosDave

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Dave do not agree it is correct to have the bike on the website without making it clear about the legal requirements, have noticed this before. There is a grey area for some bikes but not this one as it has a 350watt motor and assists to 28mph. If you read the customer reviews there appears to be a few around but no customer mentions registering the bike so they are either unaware or a chancing it.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I can specify my Kudos Arriba or Kudos Tornado with 500 watt motors and unlimited speed,they would not cost a penny more. If I clearly specified these as 'private land use or SVA registered use only'. How many customers would want such a bike?
I have ridden these bikes,the 500 watts absolutely transforms the performance.
Would anyone want one?
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Not true,David Miall and I had long chats about the Union Jack,if you look his new bikes have no Union Jack flags-he has retained the flag as a british company but clearly makes it clear his bikes are assembled in Germany from mainly chinese components.
Anyone,who has met me know that I can be very single minded and determined about a subject.
If people buy an illegal bike or create an illegal bike that is their business, but to buy a bike,especially such an expensive bike as a Kalkhoff,and not be made aware it is illegal is criminal!
KudosDave

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Selling a bike with a union jack on does not get the customer in bother with the law, just slightly deceiving

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
No law against selling the bikes problem lies if they are not made aware that it needs to be registered or ridden on private land only. It would become a big issue if there was an accident and cyclist (if that is still the correct term) thought the bike was legal - the sellor would almost certainly be liable. Also could be an issue if stopped by police.

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
As anyone got a Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 400Wh?
This will be my first ebike so want a bike that's built to last. As its made in Germany I guess the built quality is better than most. But I have not seen any reviews of this new bike.
I need a bike that can do 20+ miles and very high quality (don't want to replace it in a years time)
what do people think of the new Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 400Wh? is it worth the money or is there anything just as good out there?
I was looking at the Steven Triton 45 but can not find anywhere in the UK that has this bike.
I don't know about this particular model, I have the Pro Connect with Panasonic motor. As far as build quality is concerned, Kalkhoff bikes are very well built and use high quality components. Like you, I bought my bike for a 20 mile journey (round trip to work and back). The bike is now 5 years old and has covered about 13000 miles. The only things which I have had to replace are the chain, chain wheel, motor sprocket and rear sprocket (once only) which is pretty remarkable. The original battery is still good for in excess of 20 miles, probably nearer to 30. The paint and general finish of the bike is also excellent, it still looks like new after I have washed it.

I think you will find it hard to find better than a Kalkhoff in terms of build quality, durability and reliability. If you are looking for a utility type bike to use as a workhorse for commuting, and just want something that you can just get on and ride without any tinkering, I would consider a hub geared machine. The reliability of the Kalkhoff / Shimano hub gear combination will be very hard, off not impossible, to better. I speak from 5 years and 13000 miles worth of experience.

50 Cycles are capable of delivering excellent customer service and can be very reassuring. I've snapped the stand of my bike a couple of times due to my own negligence. 50 Cycles have always replaced this free of charge and I seem to remember they have given me other free bits and bobs when I have called in to see them. However, for reasons known only to them, they seem to throw a wobbly every now and again and undo all their good PR activities by one I'll thought out act. It seems crazy to me and I don't know why they do it. This is why you will detect a certain amount of I'll feeling towards them in this thread. From my point of view, I do find 50 Cycles ok to deal with and they are generally well meaning, but make up your own mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
You're barking up the wrong tree again Dave. The Endeavour BS10 is fully type approved as an L1e moped, which is stated on our site, along with motor capacity and top assisted speed. It doesn't need SVA as it already comes with the appropriate certificate of conformity (see below). It's not cheap getting that certificate, but Kalkhoff have the resources to do so. I've attached one to this post for last year's BS10. This year's Endeavours come with one of these, complete with VIN, etc.

You appear to have an unhealthy obsession with 50cycles. I know you're relatively new to this market and you're trying to make a big noise but you should try focusing your energies elsewhere. Maybe you can drop by our stand at the Eden Project and we can try to clear the air or whatever. Might even give you a few tips on how to properly demonstrate crank drive bikes ;)

certificatebs10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclezee

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
You're barking up the wrong tree again Dave. The Endeavour BS10 is fully type approved as an L1e moped, which is stated on our site, along with motor capacity and top assisted speed. It doesn't need SVA as it already comes with the appropriate certificate of conformity (see below). It's not cheap getting that certificate, but Kalkhoff have the resources to do so. I've attached one to this post for last year's BS10. This year's Endeavours come with one of these, complete with VIN, etc.

You appear to have an unhealthy obsession with 50cycles. I know you're relatively new to this market and you're trying to make a big noise but you should try focusing your energies elsewhere. Maybe you can drop by our stand at the Eden Project and we can try to clear the air or whatever. Might even give you a few tips on how to properly demonstrate crank drive bikes ;)

View attachment 5460
But it still needs registering as a moped to obtain a V5. And then as a moped you will need insurance,tax,MOT,license,approved Helmet and all the other restrictions that apply to any other moped/motorcycle.

The point being made is where do you mention any of this ?.

You should know full well if this is not done then the bike is illegal for use on UK roads what ever type approval it has.

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Every customer is made well aware of that of course. We've taken the advice of a VOSA officer who ended up buying one for himself.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I was outside your Hampton Wick premises and there was a BS10 bike riding down Hampton Wick,rider without a helmet,with no registration plate but a bracket available for one to be fitted.
At my Manifold Trail at the weekend,another of your customers who was crowing that with 350 watts in his BS10 he can climb any hills better than a KTM-I did ask whether he felt limited that as a motorcycle he could not legally ride the Manifold Trail,he said he ignored that.
I have searched the specification of the Endeavour BS10 and I can find nowhere on that page any mention that this bike is classed as a moped with all the implications of tax,insurance,helmet etc.
I actually think that I have a healthy obsession with 50 cycles because you seem to be the only company that is not playing the market fairly and I am pointing that out,my energies seem well used if only to create a level playing field for us all.
Why don't you make it obvious to your customers on your sales page that these are not bicycles they are mopeds under UK law.
How many of these BS10 bikes have been registered?
KudosDave

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Tim,

Not sure which Dave (normally call myself David on here to avoid confusion) you are refering to but could not see clear reference to this on the page of the website where the bike is stored (see link below) As you will notice I was commenting on a post orginally started by someone else. If we sell similar bikes we will have explicit reference to the legality on the page with the information about the bike. How you choose to advertise this bike on your website is your choice but if you just looked at the link below you may well assume the bike can be used on cycle paths and other areas if you purely looked at the link below. I merely provided comments on previous posts like the NuVincini to give honest information. So you have the wrong impression here regarding an obsession with 50 cycles just making sure people are informed about different bikes.

Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 XT 50cm

Last edited: