Bosch Nyon Performance System / Sat Nav for 2015

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Guys,

As always here to keep people updated to the progress in the Crank Drive ebike market.
Bosch are releasing a new system in 2015 which is part of their new Performance line. The new product incorporates Bluetooth connection between the head unit and the users phone to play multimedia, view text messages coming in etc. It also has a rather nifty 3D Sat Nav system on board.. This will be know as: Nyon.

Bosch 2015 Nyon Performance eBike Sat Nav.jpg

Nyon is an ebike controller, navigation device and fitness trainer all in one and at the same time provides smartphone features and music control. Nyon is the universal interface between technology, environment, community and the eBiker. Many new apps, updates and functions within the Bosch online portal will continue to expand the world of eBiking.
Its modern design won it this year’s Red Dot Award for product design. From Spring 2014 several bicycle brands will offer Bosch Performance Line eBikes with Nyon. From the 2015 model year this modern on-board computer will be available with many other eBikes.

Bosch 2015 Nyon Performance Display.jpg

Bosch Nyon Performance - all functions in one device

First all-in-one eBike cycle computer with separate remote control unit
With ebike, navigation, fitness and Internet features
Bicycle-optimised navigation system with moving map in 2D and 3D
Heart rate chest strap connection enables many additional training functions
Through Smartphone connection, SMS messages and calls are displayed plus music player control is possible
High-tech highlights:
Large 4.3-inch colour display
Intelligent remaining range calculation takes into account topography and riding behavior
Micro-USB interface
Waterproof with closed USB cap
Customisation:
Customisable individual screen layout
Motor support for 5 riding modes can be set individually

With Nyon Bosch eBike Systems is striking out in a new direction: With Nyon you can check your elevation profile and battery range, set your assistance level and view the route to take you back home – all on one device. You decide which information is shown on the screen and where.
You can set your own favourite screen in addition to the so-called Ride screen by using the Bosch app on your smartphone. You can also set the eBike motor’s assistance models to suit you. So the new on-board computer enables eBikers for the first time to fine-tune the motor comfortably for their individual needs.
The 4.3-inch Nyon display is easy to read in all light conditions due to its transreflective technology. Intuitive to use, it is remote-controlled from the handlebars. On the road, eBikers keep their smartphones safely and comfortably in their pockets, connected to Nyon by Bluetooth as required. The mobile phone’s music player can be remote controlled from the unit on the handlebars. Calls and messages are shown on the Nyon display. Texts can even be read on the display when the bike is stationary. When it is on the move this function is disabled for safety’s sake.

Bosch 2015 Nyon Performance eBike System.jpg

Bosch eBike Navigation: A new take on navigation
Nyon’s navigation system is specially designed for the eBike with bicycleoptimised route calculation based on the Wiki Open Street Map (OSM). The GPS with Moving Map in 2D and 3D calculates the best eBike route. An optional extra is a smart remaining range calculator. Instead of a distance in kilometres environmental conditions such as topography and cycling behaviour are taken into account and the remaining range is shown clearly and comprehensibly on a map.

Bosch eBike Fitness: Training with Nyon
Connect heart rate chest straps to Nyon by Bluetooth and it becomes a fitness and training control centre. Heart rate and pedalling cadence, cycling performance, calorie consumption and training efficiency are shown graphically on the display. En route and afterward, you can follow activities and training progress on the Bosch Online Portal and share them with others.

Alongside this there will be a new on-line portal where you can upload results, move data into graphs and share with others.

Like I said above this will become more readily available on certian models throughout the 2015 season.

Regards
Martin

D

Deleted member 4366

Looks pretty good, but it's not the first one, I've been using the Speedict for 2 years now that does all that. Additionally it displays and logs all battery information, and can spew it all back with the GPS data, so that you can replay your whole journey to see how much current you used or how much voltage sag you had up your favourite hill.

And best of all, it can release the speed limit on the Bosch system, which Nyon can't do - all by bluetooth.

Reactions: Tim

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Looks pretty good, but it's not the first one, I've been using the Speedict for 2 years now that does all that. Additionally it displays and logs all battery information, and can spew it all back with the GPS data, so that you can replay your whole journey to see how much current you used or how much voltage sag you had up your favourite hill.

And best of all, it can release the speed limit on the Bosch system, which Nyon can't do - all by bluetooth.
Yes Dave you are correct.
Not quite the same effect as the 3D navigation display though is it Dave ;)
It's nice to see OEM stuff moving in this direction.

Regards
Martin

D

Deleted member 4366

Tell mw when they come with a free woman, because I might be interested (if she's nice), otherwise you'll have to get the price down a bit for me to be able to afford one.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Martin - do you know if this is android driven? or if its some kind of proprietary locked out OS (or locked out version of android even)

the phrase "Many new apps, updates and functions within the Bosch online portal will continue to expand the world of eBiking." would make me nervous as it sounds a bit like pioneer, nokia, etc who all launched this kind of dedicated hardware solution and then abandoned the app updates after a while.

i think i'll stick to my android phone and a 3.99 holder off ebay tbh - especially now dave seems to have dibs on the demo product ;)

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Martin - do you know if this is android driven? or if its some kind of proprietary locked out OS (or locked out version of android even)

the phrase "Many new apps, updates and functions within the Bosch online portal will continue to expand the world of eBiking." would make me nervous as it sounds a bit like pioneer, nokia, etc who all launched this kind of dedicated hardware solution and then abandoned the app updates after a while.

i think i'll stick to my android phone and a 3.99 holder off ebay tbh - especially now dave seems to have dibs on the demo product ;)
Hi Ghoul,

I can't confirm what sort ware this is running on as I haven't had a sample unit in yet to test.
As for abandoning updates I think this unlikely. Bosch are already moving at a fast rate but have not forgotten their original ideas. They still offer software updates for their 2011 system for example.

I will of course update everyone when I know more. As soon as I get a sample I shall plug it into our Bosch diagnostics kit here and see if this gives anything away.

Regards
Martin

D

Deleted member 4366

I've always found it a bit cheaper to ride my bike than a woman. That new Bosch display looks very desirable, but it also looks rather expensive. Perhaps the balance is now starting to swing the other way.

BTW to avoid any misunderstanding, don't get the idea that I can swing the other way.

Reactions: peerjay56

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
will it be on the 2015 Haibike Trekking model?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
it'll start coming on selected KTM eBikes from next month (May 2014).

Cheers
Col.[/quote]

Col can you pm or email me which models it will be appearing on?
Thanks,
David

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks both I saw the Lycan had it but wondered about others.