Help with Eco-Stepper, where to put bags??

ninatee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2014
Hi everyone!

I have just purchased a Viking Eco-Stepper/Ego-Hopper folding electric bike (my last bike was stolen grrr)

Pics here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Stepper-Folding-Electric-bike/dp/B00H448GCE

I have M.E and rely on it to go food shopping, but this bike has the battery fitted behind the seat, therefore I cannot fit an ordinary pannier rack or bags/box over the back wheel.

Does anyone know of a rack that would fit and leave me room for my bags over the back wheel? Maybe an extending one? The bike has 20" wheels, which also makes life a bit tricky. I have seen a Viking 20" rack for folding bikes, but it is too short... I need something much longer... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-20...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item20ddf19417

There is also plenty of room at the front for bags, but I'm not sure how they would fit on? All the front mounting bags I've seen are either baskets (which I might get, but they're quite expensive, so looking for cheaper and bigger alternative), or tiny fitted bags.

Thank you for any help! Much appreciated!! :)

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hi everyone!

I have just purchased a Viking Eco-Stepper/Ego-Hopper folding electric bike (my last bike was stolen grrr)

Pics here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Stepper-Folding-Electric-bike/dp/B00H448GCE

I have M.E and rely on it to go food shopping, but this bike has the battery fitted behind the seat, therefore I cannot fit an ordinary pannier rack or bags/box over the back wheel.

Does anyone know of a rack that would fit and leave me room for my bags over the back wheel? Maybe an extending one? The bike has 20" wheels, which also makes life a bit tricky. I have seen a Viking 20" rack for folding bikes, but it is too short... I need something much longer... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viking-20...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item20ddf19417

There is also plenty of room at the front for bags, but I'm not sure how they would fit on? All the front mounting bags I've seen are either baskets (which I might get, but they're quite expensive, so looking for cheaper and bigger alternative), or tiny fitted bags.

Thank you for any help! Much appreciated!! :)
You could try a seat post mount panier rack.

Reactions: ninatee

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You could try a seat post mount panier rack.
The pannier rails would probably foul on the battery.

A seat post beam rack would probably fit, with a trunk bag on the platform.

But this brings the strength of the seat post into play.

It ought to be fine, but nothing would surprise me on a cheap Chinese bike.

A rucksack would provide extra carrying capacity.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-qr-beam-rack-ex-mtx/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360048106

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Hi and welcome - good luck with your new e-bike.
Mine is the same, except it has Tesco plastered all over it.
I posted a few pics of my rack and panniers - see "Viking e-go" thread earlier.

D

Deleted member 4366

I personally would not put a seat-post beam rack on it. You already have the weight of the battery twisting the frame backwards. I've seen one and heard of several broken frames caused by that type of battery mounting. A rack will only make it worse.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I am with d8veh on this having had a
seat stay crack!
Should have said seat tube!

Last edited:

freddy

Sep 4, 2011
My husband has fitted a pannier rack to mine. I can now fit my panniers to my bike. He made up a bracket that the panniers and the rear mud guard can fit to. I also have a basket on the front.
I looked at the seat post ones but rejected it as I am very short and have the seat too low which doesn't leave enough post to attach it to. .

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not clear in the photo. I think it looks like a good job, but is there enough clearance at the front? It goes up and down with the suspension, so, without enough clearance, if you hit a big bump, it would smash against the controller housing under the battery. Maybe cut a couple of cm off the front, or has he already done that?

freddy

Sep 4, 2011
It just clears the housing. I have been unable to use my old panniers that I had for my 26" wheel bike. Have to have smaller ones. I don't strap anything to the top of the rack, just use the panniers.
Wont get a lot of shopping in them but have a basket as well.

ninatee

Jan 18, 2014
Fab! Thanks everyone! Good point about all the weight being on the seat frame. Have give me a few ideas and options as to what I can do :)

Freddy - Where did you mount your rear lights? I have put mine under my seat but would prefer to have the seat as low as possible too.

Also my back wheel sticks out at the sides a lot, so I am not sure even small panniers would fit :/

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think you can, but you should be able to buy some higher rise handlebars. You;d have to change everything over. Children's bikes often have riser bars.

freddy

Sep 4, 2011
Rear lights, I have one attached to the battery handle and another attached to the rack. Again the one on the rack needed a bit of husband magic to make it fit. What would I do without him :)