Wiggle Southern Rough Ride

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Not bad for £30.

I'm interested to know what reception Eddie will get when he turns up on an ebike.

He might be 'disqualified' from chip timing - if the organisers realise.

It's almost certain some of the other riders will moan about an ebike and call Eddie a cheat.

The sincerity of these jibes will vary, but in my experience other riders at a paid for ride can be quite nasty to an ebiker.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm not really fussed about what reception that I get, my middle finger can stretch a long way.;)

I'm only going for the ride, and couldn't careless about timings and the opinions of others. :)

I've also booked onto the later events as well.

Sadly the Spam challenge didn't happen, but this was down to nothing more than personal circumstances. The organisers knew what the bike was, and weren't concerned.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm not really fussed about what reception that I get, my middle finger can stretch a long way.;)

I'm only going for the ride, and couldn't careless about timings and the opinions of others. :)
Pleased to hear it.

A fair proportion of the other riders will be weekend warriors who would faint at the thought of tackling the rough stuff you do.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks, I don't really tear about that much. I just go at my own pace, enjoy the views and stop at any available coffee shops. :)

I met a lad recently who took me out on a lengthy ride the weekend before last, and I was actually quite surprised by how much difference that there is between an electric bike and a pedal only one, and not always in a positive sense.
I hadn't realised just how heavy that my bike was, and how the pedal powered bike was almost able to skim across muddy sections, whilst my bike dived in to find Australia. It also looses out massively when trying to manoeuvre over obstacles. Pedalling a 21kg bike to try and save battery power off road is also something else that quickly becomes tiring, and is something that is hard to gauge. Almost without fail, I return home with the last half mile of the journey on a flat battery. It hasn't caught me out yet, but it couldn't be much closer.
Obviously the bonus of electric assist is to be found going up hills and that is something that I'm very grateful for, and is obviously fairly effortless.
In many respects I think that things balance out when it comes to pros and cons, and that the difference between the two isn't so great. The E-bike is just easy where it counts. :)

Entering these events is just a way for me to see new routes and places, hopefully have a bit of banter along the way, and just aim to have an enjoyable and social day out. :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've seen some of the skilled mountain bike lads really throw the bike around and, as you say, all but skim over bumps.

They couldn't do that on a heavy ebike.

I tried a Woosh Scirocco - which has a throttle - on some wet mud and grass.

Good fun, I even had a bit of opposite lock speedway-style 'power' sliding going on.

OK, a pedestrian passed me, but I was enjoying it.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
One week to go and the bike is pretty much fully stripped down for a thorough clean and check over.
I've also swapped both tubes for the Slime version, and even splashed out on a Topeak multi tool kit, just in case.

I'm down for the 26mile mile route, but judging by the way that I struggled today to ride just 36miles on the road, 26miles off road might be hard work for me. unfortunately all my joints have taken a big turn for the worse this week, and things aren't great. Blood tests and Xrays to follow :(

Still, cycling keeps me motivated and happy. :)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The bonus of electric assist is to be found going up hills and that is something that I'm very grateful for, and is obviously fairly effortless.
In many respects I think that things balance out when it comes to pros and cons, and that the difference between the two isn't so great. The E-bike is just easy where it counts. :)
I reckon that's why I don't get grief from the young bloods on singletrack - They understand that it just gives enough to help a knackered old fart get round :cool:

Reactions: EddiePJ

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
unfortunately all my joints have taken a big turn for the worse this week, and things aren't great. Blood tests and Xrays to follow :(
Time to get off the roof, PJ?
My son in law has knackered his hips & lower back working on pitched roofs.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly you aren't wrong Jack.

I design and construct buildings like this from scratch and it's taken it's toll big time and is pretty much killing me. I'm desperate to find something else, but have no idea what. :(

Last edited: