Sorry Guys,this new format is not working for Kudos

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
As a forum 'newbie' I would like to contribute to this thread if I may please. Just thought a purely general public, new to e-bikes point of view might have some value?

I suspect there are many people out there similar to myself...I started to look at e-bikes for a reason (in my case health related) and a search on a popular search engine brings up the Pedelecs site usually near the top of results. Click on one of those links and generally you are in to a good quality and highly informative e-bike discussion.

Before I joined the forum I had read a great number of threads and 100's of very interesting posts by both trade and individuals. Many thousands of people no doubt read this forum and go on to make a buying decision from what they read without ever becoming a member or making a single posting.

As this thread is trade related here is the relevance. It soon becomes clear some trade members contribute a fantastic amount of time to this forum giving great insight into their products, their bikes specifications, the spares situation and their route to market (ie dealer or mainly direct sale) giving a member of the general public a great insight into buying from that company and how the ongoing running of that bike may be. Do I want to buy from LBS or am I happy buying at distance? Do I want local dealer support in return for accepting that dealer of course quite rightly gets a margin from the sale?

Those trade members that do commit this huge investment in time and effort are the ones I would personally feel comfortable to purchase a new bike from as I actually feel I know something about the company, their bikes, the efforts they went into on putting together a good spec for the whole machine, even their trips to relevant trade shows to view the latest technology that they may then go on to apply to their bikes. If they hadn't contributed to this forum or ceased to be part of it, then I would have no clue about their bikes and would be highly unlikely to purchase one because I would never have become familiar with their brand and given in consideration.

It is important to me that when new technology that improves e-bikes in general (lighter weight, better spec, improved battery life/types etc.) is brought together in a new model that this information is available not just on the dealers website but here and is easy to find, not hidden away. But I don't want just a picture and a spec list...I want to know the 'story'. That the frame was manufactured in the same facility that builds 'XYZ' brands 'premium' frames, I want to know why something is better or improved...basically, why I would want to buy it over other choices available out there.

Newbie's like myself are unlikely to have the 'inside' industry knowledge of why a BPM motor is better than a standard one etc. So for someone like me, I want to know there is a new machine available and I want to know about the thought process that created the spec behind it. This forum is to my mind perfect for that as long as the information can be found easily.

I feel there is a big difference between a thread that announces a new machine going into great detail for potential purchasers benefit compared to the 'I need a bike to get to work' thread and dealers varying levels of 'contributions'.

Oh, and yes, a separate section just for battery related stuff might be spot-on:)
Excellent post. Thanks. Agree with everything you say.
Also, to digress, as far as the battery related stuff is concerned, can anyone tell me why I never see the 'c' rating shown in battery descriptions. As I newbie I have only really found out by good fortune how important this can be.

Reactions: OxygenJames

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Dave, we don't mind where posts are located. Previous feedback from forum members was that they wanted selling threads to be separate from the main discussion. It's always a fine line keeping everyone happy, so If people want everything lumped into one forum, that's OK. What does everyone want ?

PS Don't forget we've just launched a new front end heavily geared towards attracting new electric bikers so if you've got news, send it to us! :)
I say lump them all in together. Selling electric bikes in this country is hard enough with the naff laws and crap press - so let's not make it any harder eh?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
90% of the forum traffic is under the section 'electric bicycles',so as traders that is where we would wish to place our new products/events announcements/meets. However if we place such announcements in that section we get moved to the 'wilderness'-look at the poor viewing numbers of the section 'manufacture/dealer news'-144 views or 'events/rides'-160 views.
Looking at the postings under the section 'electric bicycles' 50% of the postings are about battery problems,important to the individual but is this of general interest? The general chat about 'my bike is better because of',has dissapeared,am I allowed to say it's got boring!!!
I have some exciting new bikes due out over the next couple of months,some I know exactly meet the e-bike profile of Pedelec members. I will put my postings under the core section of the site 'electric bicycles',if I get moved then I will withdraw from the forum completely, for the forum is no longer meeting the needs of Kudos Cycles.
KudosDave

Having read that again, I'd say close the door on your way out.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Having read that again, I'd say close the door on your way out.
Aye, Kudos Dave likes things his own way.

I hope he sticks around, his posts about the ebike business are informative.

My vote is for as few sub-forums as possible.

Creating lots of pigeon holes is fine, but only if you have enough pigeons to fill them which we don't as a small forum.

Reactions: mike killay
C

Cyclezee

Maybe Dave should have his own forum so that he has total control?
Just a thought;)

what are you going to do in 5 minutes?
any chance we can perhaps move on from this?

pretty much out of the office there is a descent that its easy to reach 50mph on without trying. Half down that there is a cattle grid that I have to bunny hop, and then at the bottom there is a sharp left right combo that involves pretty sharp braking to ensure I don't join the A62 at warp speed. Its also not the smoothest of roads, and in the dark there is also a chance of an encounter with an unexpected pot hole or two.

If someone wants to come and ride behind me on a 60kg bike with cheap brakes and suspension, they are welcome to.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

pretty much out of the office there is a descent that its easy to reach 50mph on without trying. Half down that there is a cattle grid that I have to bunny hop, and then at the bottom there is a sharp left right combo that involves pretty sharp braking to ensure I don't join the A62 at warp speed. Its also not the smoothest of roads, and in the dark there is also a chance of an encounter with an unexpected pot hole or two.

If someone wants to come and ride behind me on a 60kg bike with cheap brakes and suspension, they are welcome to.
Hmmmm. You start off saying any chance we can drop this but at the end can't resist throwing in a barb about 60Kg bikes (presumably a 'competitors') with cheap brakes and suspension.

Here's a quick tip for you about being here and representing a brand:

Resist the temptation to attack others. As in resist the temptation to attack other people other brands other anythings. It just makes you look immature. Which I am sure is not what you want to be associated with your brand.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Only about 6 weeks to go and Spring will be sprung and we can see an end to the silly season :rolleyes:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

That doesn't make sense to ask to move on, then you re--open the debate with more controversial statements.

Reactions: bigroy and Cyclezee

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
OK people, that's enough. Bickering is not going to get us anywhere. This stops now otherwise this thread is closed and I will not see it start up again in any new threads.

Decide where you want topics to go.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Technical section, why not make it open to posts of a technical nature? I can't see the point of it if you can't actually post a technical question in there.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Only about 6 weeks to go and Spring will be sprung and we can see an end to the silly season :rolleyes:
Perhaps indeed - or are you suggesting we're not riding throughout the Winter?

Yesterday I had a meeting at a clients in W10 (Ladbrook Grove). I'm based in S. Wimbledon. Its 12 miles as the crow flies - and getting there by tube is not so easy as I would need to cycle to Wimbledon and catch it from there - as the other tube close to here Colliers Wood does not go that way. Plus at the other end (Edware Road) I have to track back on the Metropolitan line so all in all door to door that would be a little over an hour.

I took the bike and door to door it was 34 minutes.

I might add - that possibly maybe who knows can't confirm it publicly but I may possibly maybe accidentally left the infamous 'Dongle' wired up to my Haibike FS RX which might explain how come I averaged pretty much bang on 20mph. In solid London traffic.

Electric bikes are f******g excellent. I still can't work out why more people don't have one.

:)

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
OK people, that's enough. Bickering is not going to get us anywhere. This stops now otherwise this thread is closed and I will not see it start up again in any new threads.

OK. Here's my simple idea - lump everything together.

Anybody with half a brain should be able to work out from the title of the thread if it's one they want to read.

Simplify simpify simplify.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I'm all for one main forum and the Charging post.
Could we not have a 4 week trial and look at the matter again?
We could usefully introduce a rule that any criticism of others bikes must be factual rather than airy opinion

C

Cyclezee

I'm all for one main forum and the Charging post.
Could we not have a 4 week trial and look at the matter again?
We could usefully introduce a rule that any criticism of others bikes must be factual rather than airy opinion
Good idea Mike,

There is just too much stuff on here right now.

If this was democracy we could have a vote on it:rolleyes:

I think it might involve a lot of work for admin though which might not go down too well right now.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Perhaps indeed - or are you suggesting we're not riding throughout the Winter?

:)
Hi OxygenJames,

No, just looking forward to the new selling season, awaiting announcements of new offerings and events, also awaiting the overspill water to recede so that I can revert back to the Ousel valley park run without the need of a wetsuit and snorkel, nice as the alternative route through the old village roads is, I miss the encounters with the meandering sheep and cattle and their deposits:)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Well at least it woke everyone up from their hibernation!!! 77 replies and 1672 views in 2 days makes it pretty much the most active thread for some time. The forum isn't that big to be swamped if we all posted in one section,its up to us traders to be sensible and only post when we have something useful and relevant to contribute,you guys are free to shoot us down if we overstep the post.
I have done much less postings of late,quite frankly,I think the 'less is more' concept is valuable. I do have some new stuff coming up,2 of the new bikes are as a direct result of feedback from this forum so they should be of interest and I think some 'fun' element should be incorporated within the postings.
KudosDave

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
My opinion is that we could do with less catagories. May be a max of 5 or 6 but no more.