Classy bikes & classy service

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi all

As a long-time ebiker with a couple of electric and a few manual machines occupying shed space, I really didn't need another bike at the present time.....or did I? Nope, I've thought about it deeply for two seconds solid and I absolutely didn't need one. Even now, a further 5 seconds on, I'm certain I didn't....still don't, need another bike, particularly an electrically assisted model.

As much as the next man though, I like a bargain and I found the offers from 50 Cycles in their January sale just too good to ignore. Everybody knows that they do a nice selection of different types of ebike although they are not fully paid-up members of the bargain basement club. The Agattu has always been well-regarded and seems to have just got better every year so I was tempted by the reduced price.

For a variety of practical reasons, the Agattu is just a little heavier than I'd like these days so once I spotted the sale price of their strange, new version of the Pro-Connect then discovered it weighs in a little less than the Agattu, I had to have a closer look.

To cut a long story short, the Xion is unmistakably a Kalkhoff bike and rides beautifully. After a test ride, I really couldn't refuse at the price so it was duly delivered and I'd just like to take a moment to pass comment on the dealer's operation.

Tim Snaith provides useful information on the products at Hackney Wick, (Whoops! Best make that Hampton Wick....dohh!) with no BS or pressure. His job isn't very difficult really as the bikes speak for themselves so a test-ride usually sells the bike without Tim having to be overly persuasive. The German quality is pretty obvious on the whole range.

The process from 'Yeah, wrap it up and post it to me' to the TNT delivery guy carefully manoeuvring the large box up my garden path to where I wanted it parked was very smooth. Phone calls to re-check the exact address and discuss delivery day, am or pm; emails with tracking details, (which worked!) all contributed to excellent customer service.

I dealt with a very helpful young lady on the switchboard/office phone and besides Tim, I spoke with Aaron and later with Alex who arranged the transportation with me. All those people displayed a very professional, yet friendly manner so it was a pleasure to do business with them.

As for the bike, it's really very good! Silent, as one might expect with a DD rear hub, plus an unusually expansive torque spread for such a motor making hill-climbing much easier than one is entitled to expect from a gearless motor drive. The most striking feature though is the sensitivity of the motor to pedal input. Even on the lowest power setting, the Xion responds instantaneously to pedal input and always seems eager to go faster.

I chose the X24 rather than the more expensive though better equipped X27. At £1440, I can live without disc brakes and the extra battery power with marginally better gear set. Some of the budget bikes are now creeping up towards that kind of price but I prefer the Germanic styling notes evident on Kalkhoff products to the Oriental offerings, even though some of the motors in use are very strong, albeit a little noisy in many cases.

So! I reckon £1440 for a good, solid Kalkhoff machine, meticulously prepared, packaged and delivered with a great warranty from a firm that's been around a long time with a good track record in the cottage industry which is ebikes in the UK, has to be an exceptional bargain.

I couldn't remember exactly what you said I should write Tim but I think that's pretty close....right?

Seriously, it's a great machine and I have no connection with anyone at 50 Cycles but I do like to give praise where it's due and Tim Snaith and his team have honed their service model to the point where it all runs like a well-oiled machine. It's easy to recommend Kalkhoff bikes and when the seller offers cutting-edge prices and great service, it's, (as I keep hearing these days,) a no-brainer!

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
welcome to the forum, Tom. You seem to have bagged a bargain there.
Do post your view on this bike, especially some comparison with the other e-bikes that you have in the past.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks for that. It made me feel nice and sort of warm and happy after all the stress of doing my tax return today. Please let us know what you think after a couple of hundred miles or sooner.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Reactions: oldtom