Alexei Sayle on electric bikes in the Telegraph

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
I thought it was cute little write up though I'd guess Mr Sayle was probably commuting around a less than taxing, urban environment much of the time because he said, "The e-bike is an attempt to replace your car, not your bike, and, besides, there is still a degree of gentle exercise involved in piloting one of these machines."

Gentle exercise?

I had feared that the owning of an eBike might have lead to less actual physical expenditure of energy in the riding of it but, thankfully, fortunately, I now understand something I could not have possibly comprehended, (or even imagined), until I actually experienced my first eBike adventure just a couple of weeks ago.

Owning and using an eBike, (I now realise), can be a vastly more energetic and healthy pursuit than simply using a regular, traditional bicycle ... because, the moment a hill is encountered, instead of getting off to push, a subliminal mutual telepathic understanding between rider and eBike kicks in ... and bike and rider decide to tackle aforementioned hill together!

I didn't appreciate, though I do now, that when tackling a 10% - 12% hill, it is just fine to slip down through the gears ... and perfectly OK to find ones legs turning into speeding pistons ... because remarkably, impossibly perhaps, the process works beautifully and efficiently ... and, part way up such a steep incline, a second feeling kicks in.

"We're doing it, Eva ... We are actually navigating this impossibly steep, impossibly hostile hill ... and now ... well ... now ... there is no way it is going to beat us!

And so up we go ...

After that first, single experience, I realised that hills were not hostile or negative or any kind of issue at all.

I believe a persons will or determination plays as important a role in the determined course of a journey as the battery or the motor of any regular eBike.

Unless you live on the Somerset levels, (or within the curteledge of some snooker table flat cityscape environment, an eBike is always ever only going to be a fellow conspirator ... helping, aiding or supporting via a 2 way, mutual partnership rather than acting as some detached, self contained steel and rubber mechanical horse.

I was fit enough already though I acknowledge that my healthy BMI does suffer a little in these winter months due to me pursuing less physical activity like cycling, gardening, fishing, walking or photography, etc ... but ... I've already lost about 6lb - 7lb and seem to be creeping towards a true, fit state of body and mind way ahead of schedule, (and the Spring), primarily because Eva, my wonderful preloved Powabyke Euro, encourages me to expend more rather than less physical energy.

And my reward ... aside from keeping fit?

I get to view parts of my county and coast that, (I'm convinced), have possibly only ever been seen or experienced by others, speeding by looking out of some car or bus window at 40 mph!

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
Ooops. I meant led not lead!

I had feared that the owning of an eBike might have led to less actual physical expenditure of energy in the riding of it but, thankfully, fortunately, I now understand something I could not have possibly comprehended, (or even imagined), until I actually experienced my first eBike adventure just a couple of weeks ago.

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Perhaps it's that 'partnership' that gees e-bike riders on just that bit more to tackle further distances/more hills Beach, so you do end up getting more exercise than you thought you would pre- e-bike? Alexei saying he kept finding excuses to go out on it, our own Eaglerider also said in his recent article he just found himself going on longer rides and losing weight by accident. Well it's just great fun isn't it.

I do have an odd image in my head of him singing 'Hello John got a new motor' as he's pedaling around though.

Reactions: bigroy

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
Yes. You are right. The philosophy applies to distance as well as hills and, I'd say that, with an eBike, there is far less sense of feeling limited as many casual regular cyclists might feel with the thought of moving out of their regular, easy to access, familiar comfort zone.

And yes. A great account from Eaglerider and I'd say I relate exactly to what he has said regarding the effortless nature of the exercise an eBike can deliver a rider.

Sure, on my very first outing, I was exhausted, but only because I didn't understand the partnership role I was supposed to adopt. I recall throttling up a 10% - 12% hill, (nr Swyre on our coast road), and being initially disappointed that I was feeling little assistance from my machine.

I was still in, probably, 3rd gear and was starting to slow down dramatically from a rate of knots ... so I dropped down to 2nd ... and eventually to 1st ... and that was when I realised and appreciated that Eva was there to assist me.

I had, prior to ever sitting on an eBike, assumed that an electric bike would ride and deliver power a bit like a lightweight petrol moped. Not a reasonable comparison for my senior but very able Powabyke - even if, perhaps, some brand new machine might possibly compare to a moped regarding power deliver. (I have no idea and no inclination to find out).

Simple truth is, on a standard Mountain bike, I'd have been down to that first gear and peddling with my heart bursting out of my chest.

The eBike parallel is similar. I might still be in first gear but the experience stays within the realms of healthy exercise rather than some endurance test because Eva's amps are helping me.

And ... as a hill, (a really steep hill), starts to relent and incline less, there is a certain buzz to realise that, hey, I'm still going uphill ... but now I am accelerating! :)

I guess the power thing is all subjective anyway.

Put it this way. If spending £XXXX could buy me some newer machine that delivered more torque or power, making my eBiking experience a less physical one, I'd not be doing myself any real favours in considering such an option.

I bought Eva because she was robust, heavy and a hill climber. Exercise was always something I new I would get ... but had assumed it was because I'd be lifting, dragging, heaving and shifting her ample frame ... not because I'd be actually riding her.

Yet the opposite is true. She is actually very well poised and balanced.

Mr Sayle sums up exactly.

I also find myself making excuses to take Eva out, even nipping down to Morrision's just for one single item which, of course would be ridiculous if traveling by car or, maybe, even walking, unless some exercise was in mind.

I'm going to have so much fun and so many adventures when spring and summer arrives ... it just scares me!:cool:

Reactions: HelenJ

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
"I bought Eva because she was robust, heavy and a hill climber. Exercise was always something I knew I would get" (sp)

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Many times I found a reason to go out on an adventure on my old electric bike, whereas without it 9 times out of 10 I would simply have jumped in the car, or would not have ventured out at all. My fitness levels certainly improved when I had the electric bike & I have suffered physically since selling it. Having a dog to walk has helped somewhat, but I rarely feel as energised and as good as when I used to take my old Alien bike out for a 20 mile spin....

Reactions: HelenJ
Apr 19, 2011
They have had at least two very voluble dissatisfied customers, so this evens things out a bit.
Sadly true Rob, in 8 years of selling and servicing many hundreds of e-bikes for very many happy customers, despite our best efforts to resolve their issues we have had two unhappy customers. One of them is still unhappy. Perhaps the old adage "you can't please all the people all the time" is true, though we do our best to disprove this and always aim to exceed customer expectations.

I'm glad you liked Alexei's review - its takes months of hard work to get mass-market publications to write about electric bikes and the benefits they bring, but I'm certain this is what's needed if e-bikes are ever to become mainstream in the UK. Over the years we've managed to get a fair number media 'movers & shakers' to review our electric bikes - my favorite was written by Daisy Goodwin for the Sunday Times because, like Alexei, she writes about her Sparta experience from an every day person's perspective; there's not a word on sprockets and spokes, "who cares about that stuff" she says. I agree with her: almost no one does. Daisy has had her Sparta for nearly two years now, leaving it parked out on her London street at night. If the UK e-bike industry focused on explaining that sort of benefit instead of how many (prospective e-bike customers please inset Babel Fish now) wattnmcrankwidgethours this or that contraption has everyone would be happier.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
"I bought Eva because she was robust, heavy and a hill climber. Exercise was always something I knew I would get" (sp)
You could of course just use the edit button before it vanishes.

Anyone know how long the edit option stays for?

Reactions: Beach

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
I didn't realise there was an edit button, Artstu, so thanks for the welcome tip.

Yes. Can anyone tell us how long such a feature stays live for ... after a post is sent?