Which Decathlon bike?

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
About a year ago, I bought a cheap Decathlon bike, since I wanted to start biking again, and get in shape:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/btwin-original-520-hybrid-bike-id_8165506.html

A year after, I have the weight I wanted, and I am in much better shape, after having biked a lot.

For some time, I have been considering adding an electric motor to the bike (to be able to expand my excursions).

The other day, a part of the bike broke, and the technicians have told me it is likely the bike will not be repaired, so I can either have a brand new bike, or I can pay extra and get another bike.

I would like to ask you which bike you would choose:

- The original 5 day and night, as described above. Not a good bike. 7spd freewheel, not-cassette
- A riverside 7. More expensive, and apparently better in any sense. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-7-id_8070411.html
- A mountain bike. I do not know which one.

Usage would be a combination of urban usage, unpaved roads but in good condition, and sometimes unpaved road in not good condition. I do not want a flashy bike to avoid it being stolen. Ideally, I would like a bike that can be electrified easily.

What do you think?

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Decathlon had an ebike last time I was in my local one(london). I can't tell how good it will be but I can tell it will be better than most diy kits if you aren't the sort to spend hours fiddling with stuff also if something goes wrong you can just wheel it into decathlon and they should have just as good customer service as always.

Kramer

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2013
Well, your original bike would rule out the possibility of a bottle type battery due to the unusual frame geometry, but since it's already got a rear rack you could opt for one of those types & just remove the original rack.

Personally, I'd get a cheaper bike and spend the £400 you'd save by not getting the Riverside 7 on getting the best motor/battery, perhaps even upgrading to a Nuvinci N360 hub.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
d8veh, the original 7 is very similar to the bike I already had. I prefer to change to another kind of bike. My main doubt is between a trekking / hybrid bike, such as the riverside 7, or a MTB, such as the Rockrider 8.1 (I do not consider foldables, which I have considered in the past in this forum, since I have heard Decathlon foldables are not very good).

Which bike would be better suited to electrify, a riverside or a rockrider?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Just to add some spice to the mix...

If you're unsure between a hybrid & mtb, have you considered a 29er?

Best of both - IMHO, of course - Mine rolls lovely & has knobblies for trails.

Or is the Rockrider a 29er? If so just ignore - Most do :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 4366

They're both about the same.Maybe the MTB would be the most straight-forward, depending on what kit you want to fit. The Sram changers on the MTB mean that you need a plain half throttle. Other ones won't fit, You'd have to lose the front dynamo and lights on the Riverside if you fitted a front motor.

Reactions: Arbol

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Usage would be a combination of urban usage, unpaved roads but in good condition, and sometimes unpaved road in not good condition. I do not want a flashy bike to avoid it being stolen. Ideally, I would like a bike that can be electrified easily.

What do you think?
You do not need a mountain bike for your use, but nor do 90 per cent of mountain bike owners.

The Riverside 7 would suit, and like most Decathlon bikes represents good value.

If you do go for a mountain bike, get one that has road/trail orientated tyres - look for some with a fairly shallow tread and definitely not knobblies, they will not last well on hard surfaces.

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
You do not need a mountain bike for your use, but nor do 90 per cent of mountain bike owners.

The Riverside 7 would suit, and like most Decathlon bikes represents good value.

If you do go for a mountain bike, get one that has road/trail orientated tyres - look for some with a fairly shallow tread and definitely not knobblies, they will not last well on hard surfaces.
I agree with your comment.

My main concern is the possibility of puncture. Almost always I bike alone, and even though I say I mostly use good roads, in the end I tend to risk and go to bad roads. I do not need ultra performance in bad roads, but I really do not want to get a puncture, alone, in the middle of nowhere.

The Riverside 7 has Schwalbe Marathon (not the Plus). I have heard the Plus are almost impossible to puncture, but I do not know about the non-Plus.

What is easier to puncture, the Marathon non-Plus, or the Michelin Country Trail of the Rockrider 8.1?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
What is easier to puncture, the Marathon non-Plus, or the Michelin Country Trail of the Rockrider 8.1?
Hard to say, Marathons - Plus or not - are well regarded for puncture resistance, but obviously Michelin know a thing or two about making tyres so there may not be much in it.

Generally, the wider the tyre, the less likely it is to puncture, so look for something with a bit of width to it.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Only last week I was browsing the cycle dept of Decathlon and looked at both the bikes you mentioned.

My thoughts were that the Rockrider 8.1 seemed excellent value for money, including Rock Shox forks and hydraulic disc brakes. One point I did notice was that there are no rack mounting points on this and the more expensive Rockriders, which would make fitting one more difficult. The cheaper models, below 8, had a different frame which did have them.

The Riverside 7 looked very well equipped but I thought rather heavy - perhaps because of all that equipment. Of course this wouldn't be so important if you motorised it.

Last year when I looked in they had a 29er around the £300-£400 mark but I didn't see it this time, and can't find it on their website either.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Finally I have got a Rockrider 8.1, thank everybody for the comments.

It seems a well-rounded bike, very light. Now I have to electrify it!