Is this Pedelec P*rn?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com

Now for something really sexy!!

Kudos Escape 29er Performance Series (BPM hi-torque hub drive) £1395.00

Realising that beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but to most eyes this is a very attractive bike. The sweeping frame shape just seems in perfect harmony with the 29" wheels.

Very much a performance bike - the hi-torque BPM motor, Suntour XCT forks and the Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brakes offers a fast package for swift progress.

Also, the German 'Thun RT' pedal torque sensor intuitively replicates the pedal effort of the rider. Such a rewarding sensation.
Kudos Website Link http://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?products_id=337
Frame: Aluminium 6061-T6 (46cm)
Forks: SR Suntour XCT
Gear System: Shimano Alivio 27-Speed
Braking System: Tektro Auriga Hydraulic Disc Front & Rear
Battery: Samsung 104Ah LiMno4 (bottle style)
Electric Drive System: BPM-CST Motor
Accessories: Thumb Throttle
Weight: 22Kg (inc. battery)
Bottom Bracket: Thun RT Pedal Torque Sensor
Maximum Rider Weight: 100Kg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos Typhoon 29'er Performance Series (BPM hi-torque hub drive) £1195.00
The Typhoon is a big mans Tornado. The frame shape and rider position is ideal for any rider over 5`9" (175cm) who likes to command a big wheeled bike.

The bike is a smooth ride. The big wheels and fat tyres easily coping with off-road conditions. The well proven BPM motor with it's low speed hi-torque characteristics gives the bike considerable uphill grunt.

With 24-Speed gears and low rolling resistance of the big wheels combined with lightweight, makes the Typhoon pleasant to ride unassisted should you so wish.
Kudos Website Link http://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?products_id=338

Frame: Aluminium 6061-T6 (46cm)
Gear System: Shimano Acera 24-Speed
Braking System: Shimano Mechanical Discs Front & Rear
Battery: Samsung 10.4Ah 'Bottle Style' LiMno4 Battery
Electric Drive System: Bafang BPM-CST
Accessories: Thumb Throttle
Weight: 23Kg (inc. battery)
Maximum Rider Weight: 100Kg

www.kudoscycles.com

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice one, Dave. I think I'd rather have the girl though.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
OK, back to the bikes. Kudos Dave, what does the thumb throttle actually do on these bikes?

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
OK, back to the bikes. Kudos Dave, what does the thumb throttle actually do on these bikes?
Before I address the above quote ...

I'm new to contemporary bike culture but 29" wheels? I presume it is fair to say that I won't find that size rim cast off or discarded down my local recycling centre any time soon? I'd never ever heard of the size!

As to the features or functions of a thumb throttle.

Without feedback from contributors from this thread, I was forced to investigate online for myself.

The feature is apparently common on quad bikes though the origin of the thumb throttle appears to stem from snow-mobile technology ... and has also been taken up by jet ski manufacturers.

Does the feature allow for the setting of some maximum speed? (Set screw to regulate throttle range of motion?)

I don't know. I did find some reference to that fact.

Nevertheless. There appears to be some concept of a thumb throttle acting as a safety device, avoiding any chance of a situation where a throttle might find itself flat out and stuck full on, although others claim, (online), that the threat is minimal and that the act of physically turning the throttle with a traditional twist grip is preferable.

Does a pedelec machine really even need a thumb throttle ... or is the feature just one more component in the PR war to distinguish one trite, magnolia pedelec bicycle from another?

As an inventor, it frustrates me to see your industry go through these petty, minor technological improvements or innovations when you should, by now, be creating a new paradigm for personal transportation.

Current PR initiatives radiate as no more than shiny baubles designed to hook the attention of a customer ... just as a reflecting, wobbling baited spoon attracts the attention of an inquisitive plaice when trolled across a stretch of ocean sand.

Thankfully though, your industry is soon to get a boost ... from an unexpected, unforeseen direction.

Impress me ... by guessing what direction that boost might come from.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Before I address the above quote ...

I'm new to contemporary bike culture but 29" wheels? I presume it is fair to say that I won't find that size rim cast off or discarded down my local recycling centre any time soon? I'd never ever heard of the size!

As to the features or functions of a thumb throttle.

Without feedback from contributors from this thread, I was forced to investigate online for myself.

The feature is apparently common on quad bikes though the origin of the thumb throttle appears to stem from snow-mobile technology ... and has also been taken up by jet ski manufacturers.

Does the feature allow for the setting of some maximum speed? (Set screw to regulate throttle range of motion?)

I don't know. I did find some reference to that fact.

Nevertheless. There appears to be some concept of a thumb throttle acting as a safety device, avoiding any chance of a situation where a throttle might find itself flat out and stuck full on, although others claim, (online), that the threat is minimal and that the act of physically turning the throttle with a traditional twist grip is preferable.

Does a pedelec machine really even need a thumb throttle ... or is the feature just one more component in the PR war to distinguish one trite, magnolia pedelec bicycle from another?

As an inventor, it frustrates me to see your industry go through these petty, minor technological improvements or innovations when you should, by now, be creating a new paradigm for personal transportation.

Current PR initiatives radiate as no more than shiny baubles designed to hook the attention of a customer ... just as a reflecting, wobbling baited spoon attracts the attention of an inquisitive plaice when trolled across a stretch of ocean sand.

Thankfully though, your industry is soon to get a boost ... from an unexpected, unforeseen direction.

Impress me ... by guessing what direction that boost might come from.
I've no idea what you're on about. I know what a thumb throttle is and have seen a couple of different examples mentioned on pedelecs. One, made the bike go at walking pace only and another did the same but allowed the bike to go at full speed if the pedals were turning slowly. Hence my question. It would, in my eyes, make the torque sensor model more attractive.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Jim,nice to hear from you.
The thumb throttle can do 2 jobs,dependent how it is wired to the controller.
Version 1....operates like a throttle on a motorbike,giving variable power throughout the speed range 0 to 15 mph. This throttle is desired by those who wish to ride their bike like a moped,it's ideal for tired legs.
The downside is that without supporting the power with rider input it will considerably reduce range.
Such a throttle is fitted to our old Sport bike,our Safari and Secret bike(but as a twist grip),they are illegal in Europe but seem to be ok in the UK,until our government get round to signing up to EN 15194,they have said that bikes sold already will be ok and an 18 month grace period will allow.

Version 2....allows variable throttle power up to 4 mph,it's useful as a take off device.
This version is legal under EN 15194.
Such a throttle is fitted to all our latest mountain style bikes....Arriba,Tornado,Cobra,Typhoon,Escape bikes.

It may be of interest that these 29'ers are fitted with King Meter displays,with button pushing they can be derestricted up to 23 mph..obviously this makes the bike illegal for anything other than private road usage.
As D8veh has correctly pointed out the speed limit on a BPM hub drive is dependant upon the maximum motor speed of the motor,a fixed element within the wheel. That is why 26" wheels have a limit of 19 mph and 29" wheels have a limit 23 mph.
But the bikes are supplied with a default limit of 15.5 mph,if you derestrict it is a conscious decision and you know you are making the bike illegal.
On a private track I have tested these BPM powered 29ers derestricted,they are particularly quick bikes with good acceleration. The Typhoon speed sensor bike kicks hard between 12-20 mph.
The only bike I have ridden that is legally more powerful is the KTM e-race P,considerably more expensive.
KudosDave
www.kudoscycles.com

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
It's only 700C just like a Hybrid and racing bike ;)

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Jim,nice to hear from you.
The thumb throttle can do 2 jobs,dependent how it is wired to the controller.
Version 1....operates like a throttle on a motorbike,giving variable power throughout the speed range 0 to 15 mph. This throttle is desired by those who wish to ride their bike like a moped,it's ideal for tired legs.
The downside is that without supporting the power with rider input it will considerably reduce range.
Such a throttle is fitted to our old Sport bike,our Safari and Secret bike(but as a twist grip),they are illegal in Europe but seem to be ok in the UK,until our government get round to signing up to EN 15194,they have said that bikes sold already will be ok and an 18 month grace period will allow.

Version 2....allows variable throttle power up to 4 mph,it's useful as a take off device.
This version is legal under EN 15194.
Such a throttle is fitted to all our latest mountain style bikes....Arriba,Tornado,Cobra,Typhoon,Escape bikes.

It may be of interest that these 29'ers are fitted with King Meter displays,with button pushing they can be derestricted up to 23 mph..obviously this makes the bike illegal for anything other than private road usage.
As D8veh has correctly pointed out the speed limit on a BPM hub drive is dependant upon the maximum motor speed of the motor,a fixed element within the wheel. That is why 26" wheels have a limit of 19 mph and 29" wheels have a limit 23 mph.
But the bikes are supplied with a default limit of 15.5 mph,if you derestrict it is a conscious decision and you know you are making the bike illegal.
On a private track I have tested these BPM powered 29ers derestricted,they are particularly quick bikes with good acceleration. The Typhoon speed sensor bike kicks hard between 12-20 mph.
The only bike I have ridden that is legally more powerful is the KTM e-race P,considerably more expensive.
KudosDave
www.kudoscycles.com
Thanks for the info Dave! I'm not much into de-restricting a bike these days, I'm more into getting distance now. I've talked myself into a 47 mile run along with 8000 others this year from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Speed isn't the problem, I've got all day to do it. Battery life is my thing these days. Last summer I managed 45.5 miles on my 10 ah battery by using the wind, hills and copious amounts of level 4 on the LCD. :)

The trip for anyone interested: http://www.pedalforscotland.org/

Quite why I get talked into these things, I'll never know. I've been out in January and February practising for it. :)

Reactions: Kudoscycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's only 700C just like a Hybrid and racing bike ;)
Exactly, this recent American fad of calling them 29ers is all a bit silly really, first referring to the use of road bike 700c rims in off-road situations to give better roll characteristics on rough ground than 26" wheels. They usually only reach 29" overall diameter with tall section mountain bike tyres.

This wheel size is also called 28" when used on utility bikes with average tyres or when fitted with skinny tyres are commonly called 27" by the racing fraternity!

In any case, this is what 29er really means:

The 29er is a two-man high performance sailing skiff designed by Julian Bethwaite and first produced in 1998.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artstu