A few Bosch questions

BobJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2009
I've had my Haibike for over 2 years, although due to work and family issues I've not used it very much over the last year.

Battery: For what I use it for - mainly off-road rides of less than 15 miles - it's great, and the original battery is still fine BUT I've just retired and want to venture further afield so would like to get a second battery. As a new "pensioner" I'm reluctant to spend £450+ for a second battery so am looking for alternative solutions, perhaps a good s/h battery or an alternative compatible manufacturer. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Dongle: Other than the one that Martin @ www.e-bikeshop.co.uk sells is there a cheaper alternative that works? Not worried about warrantee issues as my bike is well out of the warrantee period.

Walk along: Is there anything that can be done to add a "walk along" mode - occasionally I have to go up hills that are far too steep for me to ride up (I do live in Wales!!) and it is tough pushing the bike up as I struggle to breath and walk at the same time, just want a slow "throttle" or switched "slow" mode.

Cheers all.
BobJ

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Badass dongle works seamlessly and simply clips on to the sensor on the chainstay.

Much simpler than the wired in one.

http://www.badassebikes.com/en/

I'm guessing you have the earlier drive/control system, but I can't see why the Badass - or other dongle - should not work.

I found Lui at Badass good to deal with, so you could ask before buying.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Walk along: Is there anything that can be done to add a "walk along" mode - occasionally I have to go up hills that are far too steep for me to ride up (I do live in Wales!!) and it is tough pushing the bike up as I struggle to breath and walk at the same time, just want a slow "throttle" or switched "slow" mode.
The later Bosch display and remote switch will as far as I'm aware allow your system to have walk along, but I have to say it isn't that good, assist speed is too low for my liking and pressing the button constantly is hard work.

Perhaps adding some larger sprockets would be a better solution like Streethawk did to his bike.

Here's another speed option http://www.speedup.altervista.org/speedup-ghost-invisible-come-si-installa-how-to-install.html

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Artstu - Are you using the walk assist in a low gear? This makes all the difference to the output speed of the walk assist. In a hard gear the bike actually walks away from me & I'm a fast walker!

Also on the newer systems the walk assist has been upped a little.

Bob - You can convert the old system to the new Intuvia, however the only function it will not give you is in fact the walk assist, so you you can rule this off the list.

As for battery life have you read my articles explaining how to look after, maintain and extend your Bosch eBike battery life? - http://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/post/how-to-look-after-and-extend-the-life-of-your-bosch-ebike-battery/

Regards
Martin

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Bob - If you need a battery we have a 300wh battery in black (frame mounted) we could do at a specia price, private message me if you are interested. Not this is not second hand.

Artstu I agree with Martin I have found the walk assist very useful.

Dongle design is nice, simple and easy for anyone to fit.

All the best
David

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Artstu - Are you using the walk assist in a low gear? This makes all the difference to the output speed of the walk assist. In a hard gear the bike actually walks away from me & I'm a fast walker!
I've tried all gears with little difference. I've never tried it on Tarmac though, after all having an e-bike should mean you NEVER have to push your bike up a hill no matter how steep it is ;)

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid the Panasonic walk alongside option also suffers from low power which many find wholly inadequate. The problem appears to be that since the pedal torque sensing is not in use, the power delivery is at the minimum level. This may be in part at least the same problem on the Bosch unit.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As has been said, up the gears a few notches and the Bosch walk system gives plenty of grunt.

Two snags, it's never very quick and the pedals turn under load making a shin scrape easy to do.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've tried all gears with little difference. I've never tried it on Tarmac though, after all having an e-bike should mean you NEVER have to push your bike up a hill no matter how steep it is ;)
Strange, are you possibly using a hub gear as opposed to derailleur? This can alter things.

Also I spoke to Mr Bosch about the walk function and although they have increased the level slightly on newer models, they didn't want to up it too much as they were afraid of it turning into a 'lazy button'.

I have found the walk assist very quick in hardest gear.

Interestingly on the older system I can update the software to newer firmware that should increase the walk assist slightly.

Regards
Martin

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Strange, are you possibly using a hub gear as opposed to derailleur? This can alter things.

Also I spoke to Mr Bosch about the walk function and although they have increased the level slightly on newer models, they didn't want to up it too much as they were afraid of it turning into a 'lazy button'.

I have found the walk assist very quick in hardest gear.

Interestingly on the older system I can update the software to newer firmware that should increase the walk assist slightly.

Regards
Martin
Martin

We tried the walk on my new bike whilst in your shop. Pulled at a good pace, quicker than my previous bike.

Off road and on a hill too steep and slippery to ride, it does next to nothing.
It tries but it doesn't put out any real torque.

Makes no difference what gear you are in. Seem to be suited to walking on the flat.

The one thing it is useful for is when you get to the top of the hill, assuming the bikes is in a low gear, it does allow you to change up on the deraillier before mounting.

"afraid of it turning into a 'lazy button'" Hmm, its an electric bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Martin

We tried the walk on my new bike whilst in your shop. Pulled at a good pace, quicker than my previous bike.

Off road and on a hill too steep and slippery to ride, it does next to nothing.
It tries but it doesn't put out any real torque.

Makes no difference what gear you are in. Seem to be suited to walking on the flat.
That's exactly as I thought it might be, inadequate walk alongside power for steep slopes, especially if with loaded panniers etc, the same as on the Panasonic units. I think this is probably fundamental to these torque sensor crank drives, without pedal thrust, power is at the lowest setting.

In addition to the thumb throttle action, they'd probably need a switch to bypass the torque sensing to have higher power when not pedalling.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
It is surprising that this feature does not function correctly. I am sure it would be a simple matter for Bosch to rewrite the code to drive with more torque. Maybe a firmware update one day.

At the end of the day, the Bosch drive system is in my opinion absolutely brilliant.
During normal riding its operation is seamless. I cannot imagine how it could be better.

Given the above, I can live without a decent walk feature.

Reactions: Artstu

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
The only time i use the walk button is when hauling the heavy beast up to my girlfriend's first floor flat. It's great for that...

I did try it, out of curiosity and found it's too fast to keep up with, over 5mph, but maybe it is faster on the 350w motor.

Reactions: rippedupno1

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only time i use the walk button is when hauling the heavy beast up to my girlfriend's first floor flat. It's great for that...

I did try it, out of curiosity and found it's too fast to keep up with, over 5mph, but maybe it is faster on the 350w motor.
That must be the case, the Panasonic S high speed bike units also run to much higher speeds with the walk throttle. The EU legal limit for legal 250 watt pedelecs is 6 kph (3.75 mph), UK limit 4 mph.

BobJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks for all the info everyone, all greatly appreciated.

Battery: Still looking for something (David @ Electrifying Cycles - have responded) with my limited budget, perhaps a good s/h battery or an alternative compatible manufacturer may be a more realistic solution.

Thanks Martin @ www.e-bikeshop.co.uk - I have read your articles and have followed your advice, perhaps that why my original battery is still working so well.

Dongle: The one that Martin @ www.e-bikeshop.co.uk sells seems great but the Badass one is not only £25 cheaper but looks a great deal easier to fit, thank you RobF.

Walk along: Seems that for what I want it for it's not really an option so I'll just have to learn to breath and walk better, i.e. get fitter - one may well follow on from the other!!