My first ride :)

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
OK here's the story :)

Since the weather was so nice today, I decided to take my electric bike to the park. After riding around the park for half an hour, I soon got bored and felt the urge to ride on the road. I've only ever ridden on the road twice with an instructor and I didn't feel too confident. So I decided to go back home whilst whilst riding on the road since it was only 5 minutes away. However as soon as I reached home, I went right past it and decided to ride to the end of the road. Once I got to the end of the road, I thought it would be a good idea to visit my sister who lives 3 miles away. The journey to my sister's house was incredible and I rode aggressively. I think I underestimated myself and didn't realise how good I am at looking back and signalling. I felt aware of my surroundings and my actions.

Then I stayed at my sister's house for a couple of hours and she said she would give me a lift back home since it was dark and I've never ridden in the dark. But the bicycle wouldn't fit in her mini and I had no choice but to ride back home. I enjoyed the journey home. It was scary at times but overall I've learned that as long as I ride aggressively and not let drivers intimidate me, things aren't as bad as I initially thought.

As for the performance of the bike, even though it is heavy, I was able to ride it without the motor running on flat surface for a minute or two before exhausting myself :) I rode on low setting and it's really not as fast as I feared. At times I thought it was quite slow and I occasionally switched to medium.

I can't wait to ride again tomorrow.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
What was the grin like?

Reactions: CorpusLuteum

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
What was the grin like?

Sorry I've just been waiting for an opportunity to use this.

The bug has bitten, there's no turning back
There's definitely no turning back. I can't believe I waited so long before investing in an electric bicycle. It is the best thing I've ever bought :)

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I started like that and look what happened to me...

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
OK here's the story :)

Since the weather was so nice today, I decided to take my electric bike to the park. After riding around the park for half an hour, I soon got bored and felt the urge to ride on the road. I've only ever ridden on the road twice with an instructor and I didn't feel too confident. So I decided to go back home whilst whilst riding on the road since it was only 5 minutes away. However as soon as I reached home, I went right past it and decided to ride to the end of the road. Once I got to the end of the road, I thought it would be a good idea to visit my sister who lives 3 miles away. The journey to my sister's house was incredible and I rode aggressively. I think I underestimated myself and didn't realise how good I am at looking back and signalling. I felt aware of my surroundings and my actions.

Then I stayed at my sister's house for a couple of hours and she said she would give me a lift back home since it was dark and I've never ridden in the dark. But the bicycle wouldn't fit in her mini and I had no choice but to ride back home. I enjoyed the journey home. It was scary at times but overall I've learned that as long as I ride aggressively and not let drivers intimidate me, things aren't as bad as I initially thought.

As for the performance of the bike, even though it is heavy, I was able to ride it without the motor running on flat surface for a minute or two before exhausting myself :) I rode on low setting and it's really not as fast as I feared. At times I thought it was quite slow and I occasionally switched to medium.

I can't wait to ride again tomorrow.
Ssh - everyone will want one:) Oh, and, ps - better to say 'assertively' rather than 'aggressively';)

Last edited:

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Great news, sounds like you are really taking to the bike fast.

Remember if you ever feel uneasy or uncomfortable on the road then pull up on the pavement and take a minute or two out. Messy crossroads / roundabout / junction / roadworks you can always hop off the bike and walk around it then hop back on the other side.

Reactions: LEBC Tom

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
Great news, sounds like you are really taking to the bike fast.

Remember if you ever feel uneasy or uncomfortable on the road then pull up on the pavement and take a minute or two out. Messy crossroads / roundabout / junction / roadworks you can always hop off the bike and walk around it then hop back on the other side.
Yes I actually got lost on the way home today and instead of trying to figure things out, I pulled up on the pavement to use google maps on my phone. I don't think I'll ever be confident enough at roundabouts. Thank you for the advice :)

Reactions: Clockwise

CorpusLuteum

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2014
I'm completely in love with my new bike. I had to sell my Wii U and 3DS to buy the bicycle and felt bad at the time. But I can now say that they certainly won't be missed. Who needs video games when you can have this much fun outdoors.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Yes I actually got lost on the way home today and instead of trying to figure things out, I pulled up on the pavement to use google maps on my phone. I don't think I'll ever be confident enough at roundabouts. Thank you for the advice :)
I just know from riding with friends who had been new to cycling that some of them felt really bad about stopping for any reason despite it being perfectly normal. Is all about getting into good habits and a good mindset on the bike.

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
I just know from riding with friends who had been new to cycling that some of them felt really bad about stopping for any reason despite it being perfectly normal. Is all about getting into good habits and a good mindset on the bike.
Absolutely agreed with that. It's when they feel unable to stop because they are invincible, small, nippy and too manoeuvrable to stop at red lights or similar that things started to go wrong.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Absolutely - And use bike paths/lanes & shared-use paths when they're available.
Report any that are substandard, telling the local press if you don't get a good response from the local council highways dept.

Local papers love a story concerning a damsel in distress ;)
Damn - There I go, being chauvinistical again!

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
I use 'Fix My Street' (Android), to report stuff, automatically informs the correct authority, photos can be attached. Can work well although some authorities round here don't seem to acknowledge reports of repairs needed.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I am really happy that you are enjoying your bike. It can, and will change your life. As recommended, get a lock, and try to avoid leaving the bike unattended, even if locked. You may, [or not] wish to get a helmet, but get a high viz jacket. Your ability and confidence will improve with time. If you don`t want to tackle roundabouts, then don`t. Happy cycling depends on having the right level of confidence, neither too much, nor too little. At each stage, confidence and ability need to match.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Sport Direct are currently selling off their muddy fox cycling clothing, got a bright orange top and jacket for £15! plus their locks and lights are very cheap. Helmet wise it's your decision, my wife makes me wear mine now, as I was collecting some dents in my head, usually bus/wagon wing mirror collisions, but riding in Bradford is always eventful! And no one is insured/gives a t*ss. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/7247429.stm