REGENERATIVE BRAKING

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hello

Does anyone know of any disadvantages when using regen mode on your ebike setup?
Does it harm the battery in anyway, especially when the battery is fully charged, hot off the charger.
If that is the case, should it be wise to ride for a mile or so before using the regen mode to prevent over charging the battery?

MS.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hello

Does anyone know of any disadvantages when using regen mode on your ebike setup?
Does it harm the battery in anyway, especially when the battery is fully charged, hot off the charger.
If that is the case, should it be wise to ride for a mile or so before using the regen mode to prevent over charging the battery?

MS.
Hi MS how are you
Ive had similar issues as you recently having reprogrammed my Tonaro multisino wave controller(beta).
I'm pretty fit having a normal time pulse rate of just 15 on the steepest of hills .
I always discharge my battery whenever I go out, knowing that a quick thrash around the Buchaille Etive Mor will recharge the entire 480wh cell in 30min max.
But the wierdest thing of all happened yesterday when I opened up the smoking compartment that is the battery box and lo, there was a second brand new battery, fully charged, in the box! And then they removed the dc cable and I realised it was just another ebike forum experience!
They say that sharing is next to Godliness, sometimes, later on usually.
:)hch

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi MS how are you
Ive had similar issues as you recently having reprogrammed my Tonaro multisino wave controller(beta).
I'm pretty fit having a normal time pulse rate of just 15 on the steepest of hills .
I always discharge my battery whenever I go out, knowing that a quick thrash around the Buchaille Etive Mor will recharge the entire 480wh cell in 30min max.
But the wierdest thing of all happened yesterday when I opened up the smoking compartment that is the battery box and lo, there was a second brand new battery, fully charged, in the box! And then they removed the dc cable and I realised it was just another ebike forum experience!
WHAT! ... hech are you drinking again??:rolleyes:

MS.

Reactions: hech
D

Deleted member 4366

MS.
It all depends how clever your system is and how you have it set.

In answer to your question, in general, the answer is yes.

IMHO, unless you have special circumstances, like lots of stops and starts or a long steep hill, regen is not worth the hassle.

Reactions: mountainsport

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I love the regen on my Brompton, I've never replaced the brake shoes on the front in 8000 miles....braking performance is unaffected by rain etc....but if you're hoping for big gains in range then forget it.

When fully charged I've noticed that there's basically no regen, the controller is clever enough and I can feel through the brakes that the motor isn't charging the battery. As soon as I've used any power at all I can feel it kick in. So I wouldn't worry about your initial question unless you live at the top of a huge hill and you go racing off down it with a full battery straight from the charger.

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hello

MS.
Although I'm unaware of how other systems manage regeneration, I can tell you that my Kalkhoff Xion is programmed in such a way that harvesting any juice isn't possible until the battery capacity has reduced to less than 90% or thereabouts.

I have to agree with d8veh that, while the system does actually work as described, the minimal amount supplied isn't really worth switching it on for.

Tom

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Hi MS how are you
Sorry? Is it Hech, or Hich:p

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Thank you so much guys for your good individual answers. Im not sure how long this added feature has been going on for, but maybe sometime in the future it will be faded out due to it being over rated.
I will say though, it does have a great impact of saving even the cheapest of cheap brake pads.:) Cheers!

MS.