Cycling Gear in Aldi Sunday 04/05/14

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm a big fan of both Lidl and Aldi so I always check out their cycling goodies which are cheap and not so nasty!

Those seat post bags seem similar in size to the smallest Topeak model but they are only a quarter of the price....and the Topeak ones don't come with any tools! I purchased one large and one medium bag from Halfrauds in their sale recently and find them just about perfect for my needs. Believe it or not, that much-maligned bike and car retailer was the cheapest source of Topeak bags at that particular time. That must have been a first!

If I need shopping or have any bulky stuff to transport, I use my oldest ebike which has huge pannier bags. I could move the panniers on to one of my other ebikes but I like to keep them light as they are both quite sporty in their set-up.

As for the sunglasses, when I checked out a couple of price tags in Halfrauds, very similar sunglasses had numbers such as 14.95 for example printed on them and the quality seemed pretty much the same as those from Aldi/Lidl.

Unless you're a supermarket snob, I recommend checking out our German supermarkets, particularly if you like decent wine without silly price tags.

Tom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Absolutely. I wasn't knocking Aldi, nearly all my cycling gear comes from there. I was more concerned about the contents of the Lycra once purchased. I have seen some truely awful sights.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I have to wear Lycra now.
Today I passed an electric bike up hill on my recumbent.

Still only doing about 15kph

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Sunglasses and a pair of them brown cycling shoes if I can get some in my size, fingers crossed for that.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I might get another pair of cycling underpants, which they call shorts.

The Lidl/Aldi stuff is fairly good quality, excellent value and it lasts well for my weekend/hobby use.

The more expensive brands might be worthwhile for someone who is on the bike every day.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Picked up some tight padded shorts & casual shorts with padded inner:

Padding in the tight ones seems pretty good, but in the casuals is fairly minimalist: Might be ok for 10n15 miles.

I'm having "comfort Issues" at about the 30-mile mark.

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
That picture was taken before the bearings in one of the pedals collapsed. She's got such a good dad though, he donated one of his and rode home with one! My controller was a bit warm though!

Reactions: Alan Quay

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
I went and had a look at the cycle gear, but decided on a roll of gafa tape instead.:p

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I called in this morning - the section looked like a bomb had hit it.

Not much left in, er, XL.

I did get a pair of shorts which was my main aim, they look OK.

Might have been tempted by a jacket if there were any.

C

Cyclezee

I called in this morning - the section looked like a bomb had hit it.

Not much left in, er, XL.

I did get a pair of shorts which was my main aim, they look OK.

Might have been tempted by a jacket if there were any.
Hmm, surprised you didn't go for one of these Rob:cool:
W1914_PD_Sunday_New_UK13a.jpg

Reactions: RobF

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
What happens when you want to stop for a 'comfort' break?