Inside the MXUS

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Part way through rebuilding this motor into a 26" rim something didn't feel quite right with it's rotation, kind of as if a nut has tightened inside on the spindle or something. Time to make a special tool and open it up to take a look. Nothing looks out of order but a clean and some new grease may help.
I have some darkblue/green high quality lithium grease, can I stick a glob of that on each star wheel?

While I have it open I thought some people may like to see the inside of it for future reference. Quite a nice piece of kit.

mxus-1.jpg mxus-2.jpg

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
A piece of steel with a large cst size hole and 3 small holes around it with studs welded in to match the 3 holes around the cst shaft. Placed in vice and using the wheel rim to turn the motor housing.

tool-1.jpg

tool-3.jpg

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
While inspecting the teeth, I found this tiny slither of steel causing the problem. Next is to find out where it's come from.
It turn out after removing the brake disk I had screwed the fixing screws all the way back in the housing and they had been catching on the rivets on the clutch part inside which scraped some steel off them.
So cleaned all teeth best I can, then added a glob of grease to the teeth wheels and all is rotating nice and free and smooth again.
So if you ever removed your disk, don't screw the screws all the way back in.

motor.jpg

Advertisers