50 Mile round trip commute, feasible or not?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
This forum an unbalanced (ie not a reflection of the actual UK market and needs) desire to get people riding illegal vehicles on the road. Its not sensible, or even necessary.

Crucial really is find a local shop that you can deal with.
this forum is more helpful to anyone considering commuting with an e-bike and it's very balanced. You have Tillson & oldtom versus D8veh, both sides are well represented.
Julie has to start at 4am to be at work at 6am. It's not sport, it's about finding a reliable and competent transport where there are no public transport alternatives.
A few months ago, KellyBear asked a similar question and finally bought a Pedego. Perhaps KB could come back here and give us an account of her experience.

Reactions: Julie

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
That is a heck of a distance; where are you going to? I know Gainsborough (grew up there) and I'm well aware that public transport is pretty hopeless, and I also wouldn't fancy cycling on the A roads there (A156, A159, A631) especially on a dark winter morning - do you have a route worked out?

An ebike can do that distance, but it'll be tight. If you get the wind against you both ways (it happens) that could tip you over the edge.

I know this isn't a motorbike forum, but I think you'd be better considering a 125cc bike - the initial outlay would be similar (reckon on £1500 for a very usable bike from a reputable manufacturer) but running costs are less than a car and the commute would be feasible (my brother used to do Morton to Newark on a 125, no problem, just a bit cold in the winter!). A 125 will happily cruise at 50 - 60mph and give you maybe 80mpg; if you go that way, I'd recommend training and taking a test so you can ditch the L-plates, but as a mature and experienced driver I would think you'd be OK.

EDIT: Do what I do, and mix cycling and motorcycling - you've already got the road bike, keep your fitness up and use it when the weather's good. You can't beat cycling in the countryside on a fresh morning!

Last edited:
Reactions: superDove and Wicky

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Unbalanced in that we have no forum members who have dismissed e-bikes as being too slow for their needs perhaps.
Well, I might be falling into that category. :) I haven't dismissed e-bikes yet but will have to try one over my commute to see if it is easier, or harder, work than my normal bike at the usual speed.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Well, I might be falling into that category. :) I haven't dismissed e-bikes yet but will have to try one over my commute to see if it is easier, or harder, work than my normal bike at the usual speed.
If you can bring yourself to ease off and ride below the cut-off, it'll be easy, but you'll probably find yourself working really hard just above the cut-off, frustrated by it and feeling held back.

Reactions: superDove
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't wish to be the prophet of doom, but I doubt very much that you will be able to do this 50 mile round trip every day. Strong winds, driving rain, heat, ice & snow will all need to be overcome, but the biggest challenge will be sitting in the saddle for at least 3 hours every day endlessly turning the pedals whilst you navigate a mind numbingly boring and familiar route to and from work. I have doubts that you will be able to maintain this and the bike will fall into disuse. I don't think that I would have the will to take on a 50 mile daily round trip.

For daily commuting by bicycle, a round trip of 20 miles is nicely comfortable, 30 miles is the maximum comfortable and 50 miles isn't going to happen. Sorry.
Tilson's taken the words straight out of my mouth apart from he missed the bit about your bike being nicked after two weeks leaving you to find your way home by public transport. 15 miles each way is OK, 20 miles is a chore, but 25 miles is going to hurt.

thats kind of my point. There is a 50/50 split on here, roughly of people who'll recommend illegal bikes as a solution, to this kind of problem.

Thats not a reflection of the real world. Most people, most shops, most cyclist etc etc wouldn't be happy riding a bike that isn't legally allowed on the roads.

The best options for this thread are essentially.

ride a legal eBike - which is still going to be a lot of hours in the saddle., and may not be the best solution.
ride a motorbike.
Move house
move jobs.

breaking lots of traffic laws shouldn't be the first suggestion, to any new member who joins this forum for sensible advice.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Not even worth thinking about a 50 mile commute on an ebike.

A moped would do it, the OP weighs next to nothing and being 50, she probably has the groups on her licence to ride without L plates.

I'm far from sure about the licence part, but the OP can legally ride a moped on a full car licence.

A moped - or motorbike - opens up better weather protection/clothing and the ability to carry a chunky lock.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
What about the S pedelecs like the Kalkhoff B10? That would do it I imagine and could be registered as an e moped and ridden as one with a car licence I assume?

I know some people have bought them and ridden them as they are but has anyone gone down the legal route with one?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
A moped would do it, the OP weighs next to nothing and being 50, she probably has the groups on her licence to ride without L plates.

I'm far from sure about the licence part, but the OP can legally ride a moped on a full car licence.
Probably best if I don't mention that some 2-stroke scooters can be derestricted too. Although most may be 4-stroke these days, it's been a while since I looked.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
What about the S pedelecs like the Kalkhoff B10? That would do it I imagine and could be registered as an e moped and ridden as one with a car licence I assume?

I know some people have bought them and ridden them as they are but has anyone gone down the legal route with one?
The problem is that there is no legal classification for the BS10 or other S-pedelecs here in the UK. Someone was trying to go down the full registration route to actually see if it were possible to convert the bike, register as a moped and try to get insurance but I don't know if it's actually successfully been done.

Michael

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Probably best if I don't mention that some 2-stroke scooters can be derestricted too. Although most may be 4-stroke these days, it's been a while since I looked.
Yes, I think it is probably best.

This journey will be a bit of a haul even on a moped.

I expect a sensible motorbike dealer would recommend a 90-125cc, assuming the licence can be sorted.

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
I wouldn't recommend a moped for those roads; 30mph max on a 60mph single-carriageway A-road wouldn't go well. Besides that, there are plenty of decent unthrashed 125s about (the Honda CBF125 or CG125 are excellent examples) and a used one will hold its value. There are of course automatic 125 scooters; I'm not a fan of them, the small wheels make them unstable, but you could look at the likes of the Honda SH125.

There's a gap in the electric vehicle market waiting to be filled; decent low-cost electric scooters or bikes equivalent to 125 petrol machines.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Tilson's taken the words straight out of my mouth apart from he missed the bit about your bike being nicked after two weeks leaving you to find your way home by public transport. 15 miles each way is OK, 20 miles is a chore, but 25 miles is going to hurt.
This is the second time that we have reached agreement in recent days. Something is very wrong here and it's making me nervous about where this is heading.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
While I admire the OP's spirit and ambition, with the budget she has, a light motorcycle/scooter as Wicky suggests makes so much more sense.

Frankly, such a commute every working day is just not going to happen for very long and an expensive EAPC would quickly become redundant. Some tuition and coaching for a motor-cycle test is the answer to the OP's fears.

Tom

D

Deleted member 4366

The Honda Vision 110 would be my choice. These modern scooters are very stable. They're fully automatic everything. The brakes are on the handlebars like a bicycle. No clutch, no gear-changing, just sit and go at 141.8 mpg. Being neither 50cc nor 125cc, makes them much less nickable. I hired one on holiday, and I was so impressed that I nearly traded in my 650cc when I got home.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/offers/vision110/

C

Cyclezee

I don't wish to be the prophet of doom, but I doubt very much that you will be able to do this 50 mile round trip every day. Strong winds, driving rain, heat, ice & snow will all need to be overcome, but the biggest challenge will be sitting in the saddle for at least 3 hours every day endlessly turning the pedals whilst you navigate a mind numbingly boring and familiar route to and from work. I have doubts that you will be able to maintain this and the bike will fall into disuse. I don't think that I would have the will to take on a 50 mile daily round trip.

For daily commuting by bicycle, a round trip of 20 miles is nicely comfortable, 30 miles is the maximum comfortable and 50 miles isn't going to happen. Sorry.
Good point Tillson,

There are several bikes capable of doing this sort of commute, but what about the rider 50 miles day after day will take it's toll.

There was a forum member a few years ago who used to do a 30 mile commute into London and back on his eZee Forza, he did this for a long time until getting knocked off his bike by a car, If I remember correctly he sustained a dislocated shoulder and the bike was damaged.

Not deterred, when he was fit again he resumed commuting but unfortunately had a second accident and has since given up doing the journey by bike.