Motor Phase Current

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
If a controller is modified to now give 20a, how many of those amps go through each phase wire?
Should I be upgrading those bullet style crimp connectors after increasing the amps slightly?

D

Deleted member 4366

Phase current is complicated because it goes in both directions through each phase wire, and it's pulsed.

The motor phase wires can take a lot of current even if you have those thin wires through the 9-pin connector. Saneagle melted the thick phase wires coming out of his controller, but the thin ones to the motor were OK.

At 20A, I don't think you need to do anything. At 30A, you have to replace those bullet connectors because they get hot, which melts the plastic shroud around them to make them short out. Maybe that's what happened to Saneagle. This was the result:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If a controller is modified to now give 20a, how many of those amps go through each phase wire?
Should I be upgrading those bullet style crimp connectors after increasing the amps slightly?
20a, for 2/3 of the phase.

But it's a bit more complicated, because it's DC, going backwards and forwards. AKA A.C. but it's not a sine wave. Unless it is. So RMS does not work, unless it does.

It seems that we need a new term, something like alternating DC.

All that said, from a totally practical POV, upgrade the bullets. Every time I've used them they melted eventually.

I now use Anderson powerpoles for phase wires.

Reactions: danielrlee

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks for the info, I will check how hot they get after a 10 mile run, I don't like the look of Saneagles wires but I am at 1/3 less amps

D

Deleted member 4366

All that said, from a totally practical POV, upgrade the bullets. Every time I've used them they melted eventually.

I now use Anderson powerpoles for phase wires.
Rather than mess about with connectors, I think that it's better to cut off the bullets and solder the wires directly to the PCB. You don't need connectors there because, you have one at the motor end. My Xiongda controllers are like that, and so are some OEM bikes.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The problem is more that they become loose over time, then they get hot. At this point the insulation breaks down, and they start to short, generating more heat.

I've had this happen at 12, 15 and 18 amps.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Thinking about it, I have had one connector become slightly disconnected once,

Advertisers